Wet/Dry/Wet with 3 Yamaha HS8 studio monitors out of Axe-Fx III?

Sure.

IMHO it's pointless in a studio. It's indistinguishable from centering the dry signal in a stereo field of 2 speakers.
This is true if you're recording. Playback will be limited to 2 channel (stereo) anyway. But man I gotta say, in the room playing through a full W/D/W setup sounds incredible, and is capable of a much more immersive and 3 dimensional soundstage than straight stereo.

This is true if you're recording. Playback will be limited to 2 channel (stereo) anyway. But man I gotta say, in the room playing through a full W/D/W setup sounds incredible, and is capable of a much more immersive and 3 dimensional soundstage than straight stereo.
Here's the thing...I haven't really recorded with it much and most of what I do is in the room playing/practice/tweaking. Maybe I shouldn't dismiss this idea after all...

Yep, I know. Just asking if I have 3 HS8's whether I can run W/D/W out of my Fractal and what the results will be... i.e. if it would be worth the money?
In a studio? IMHO, no. It's different in a live setting. In a studio, you're sitting still. Live, whether it's monitors or cabs, there will be a difference when you move around on stage. There will be more separation between dry and wet even with monitors.

I ran a true w/d/w live rig for many years with three 4x12s. The reasoning was simple, to maintain the pure analog tone of the amplifier. In the modeling world it would be pointless, hence why I’m only going stereo today.
I respectfully disagree Luke. I ran a w/d/w rig with all tube amps for years before I went Fractal. And I've gotta say, analog or digital, having that center channel be nothing but dry amp tone while all the modulation, pitch and time based effects swirl around the left and right allow you to develop really huge wet soundscapes while still maintaining great note and tonal clarity. Even just running a simple micropitch detune +6 and -6 cents on the left and right with the dry center sounds huge. Very different sounding than the same patch in simple stereo.

I've thought about doing this a lot, but using an amp and guitar cab of some type for the center.

With my HS8s set up nearfield at ear level in an equilateral triangle, the stereo stage is so clear and wide that I can easily hear the dry guitar at center with way more stereo reverb and delay than I could ever really use.

The main drawback is that the stereo focus is very small. Moving a few inches in either direction can change the balance drastically.

If you REALLY want to have some fun, get a second pair of monitors and set up a surround sound rig.
So 2x wet & 2x dry? I'm only just entertaining the idea of the W/D/W monitors lol, let alone a fourth. Besides, I need a rack case for my III which just so happens to cost about as much as an HS8 lol.

So 2x wet & 2x dry? I'm only just entertaining the idea of the W/D/W monitors lol, let alone a fourth. Besides, I need a rack case for my III which just so happens to cost about as much as an HS8 lol.

Not really a wet/dry thing, but more of a front channel/rear channel configuration. This requires at least two delays (preferably stereo) and/or two reverbs. Split the signal after the amp and cab into two separate signal paths, each with a delay and reverb. Route one path to output 1, the other to output 2.

Adjusting the mix parameters on the delays and reverbs with allow you to create a soundstage that make you feel like you're in the front, middle, or back of a huge concert hall (or whatever type of room you choose). This will require fairly wet settings both front and back, depending on where you want to be "sitting" in the simulated space.

I briefly had a front and rear stereo pair of HS7’s in a 10x12 foot room. Ran a Fractal in front and a Helix in the rear. The rear speakers were delayed. It was an immersive feeling like being in a 7.1 channel movie setup. Having a 3 speaker Wet/Dry/Wet would have been an interesting experiment for an evening. I think I concluded this was the first case of more isn’t more. I’d say optimize your funds on the best stereo setup you can afford.

Back
Top Bottom