wet/dry/wet question

Black Fox

Inspired
I'm wonder if the FM3 MKII Turbo can output 3 separate channels to some power amps to then drive 3 guitar cabinets, I know that the FM 3 has stereo outputs for both 1/4 jacks, and XLR stereo outputs, could I use the two 1/4 jacks for the "wet" effects to a stereo power amp, say like a Fryette Two/Fifty/Two Stereo Power Amp then to two cabinets, and then use on of the XLR outputs to another mono power amp, like for example a Fryette PS-2A for the "dry" cabinet, or is this just not possible with the FM3, and i'd have to upgrade to something like the Axe FX III?

Very possible. You could put OUT 1 in it's own row, just after the Amp block. Then put OUT 2 after the post/wet effects, with no dry signal if desired.

Very possible. You could put OUT 1 in it's own row, just after the Amp block. Then put OUT 2 after the post/wet effects, with no dry signal if desired.
true BUT I'm wanting 3 separate channels including a dry signal, one for dry/mono straight down the middle, and two panned hard left and right for the stereo "wet" effects to be mixed in as desired, I was not sure if the XLR outputs could have their separate outputs, or were just identical signals for both the XLR and 1/4 outputs

Last edited:
Some of the freshest wdw I’ve ever heard!

I mean this is pretty much what I am trying to go for, minus the whole convoluted setup they have going on here, my approach if it works would only use a mono and stereo power amps, an FM3, and 3 cabs, no need for all those cables, ground loop hum and noise, tone sucking cable length and nothing to really trip over, and be WAY less expensive lol

Yes. For example, route/shunt the dry before fx from amplifier to out 1. Route/shunt the amplifier to fx then route/shunt to out 2. Out 1 is your dry and out 2 is your wet. Your fx should be run 100% wet.

ok cool, I see now, looks like there are options in the global settings to set certain output options as needed
You may need to change some global settings of particular Outputs to match the needs of whatever you are connecting them to. But, what part(s) of your preset(s) that is routed to which Output(s) will need to be setup on the 'grid' of the preset(s).

You may need to change some global settings of particular Outputs to match the needs of whatever you are connecting them to. But, what part(s) of your preset(s) that is routed to which Output(s) will need to be setup on the 'grid' of the preset(s).
gotcha, also one other thing, and i'm not sure you know the answer to this, but the power amps i'd be using at rated at 50 watts, can I assume the minimum wattage for speakers would thus be 50 watts, or would going for somewhat high wattage cabs be safer since wattage increases with distortion?

I would go with speakers/cabs that are rated at the power amp output or higher. In this type of solid-state setup, you don't really want any power amp distortion, like you might with a tube power amp setup. The FM3 will model all of that internally.

I would go with speakers/cabs that are rated at the power amp output or higher. In this type of solid-state setup, you don't really want any power amp distortion, like you might with a tube power amp setup. The FM3 will model all of that internally.
ok, o then there would be little to no additional wattage brought on by the power amps? if so, then three 50-watt or 60-watt watt cabs should do I'd think

ok, o then there would be little to no additional wattage brought on by the power amps? if so, then three 50-watt or 60-watt watt cabs should do I'd think
That should work. You should gain-stage the FM3/poweramps so that you can turn up the FM3 Outputs to max (once you setup the global output levels for outputs 1 and 2 to the appropriate levels for your power amp inputs) and be at a safe volume level for your poweramp/cabs and your ears. You don't have to turn up your power amp volume controls to full?

This is what I recommend..
Initially set the FM3 Output knobs to full. Set the poweramp volume knobs to min. increase the poweramp volume knobs to the loudest, safe level that you will likely need, and leave them there (mark them with some tape?). Now use the FM3 output knobs to set the volume whatever actual volume that you may need in each individual situation. This way you can't accidentally bump it up so loud as to damage your equipment or anyone's ears.

That should work. You should gain-stage the FM3/poweramps so that you can turn up the FM3 Outputs to max (once you setup the global output levels for outputs 1 and 2 to the appropriate levels for your power amp inputs) and be at a safe volume level for your poweramp/cabs and your ears. You don't have to turn up your power amp volume controls to full?

This is what I recommend..
Initially set the FM3 Output knobs to full. Set the poweramp volume knobs to min. increase the poweramp volume knobs to the loudest, safe level that you will likely need, and leave them there (mark them with some tape?). Now use the FM3 output knobs to set the volume whatever actual volume that you may need in each individual situation. This way you can't accidentally bump it up so loud as to damage your equipment or anyone's ears.
Thanks for all the help with setting this up, and I got a bit confused at first when talking about outputs 1 & 2, I didn't realize at first you and others were talking about ouput blocks in relation to the outputs on the back of the FM3, for some reason I was confusing "outputs" with channels, but I understand this all a lot better now, I shall continue to learn more as I use the FM3, I also may end up just getting FRFR cabs, or both "real"cabs with power amps and FRFR cabs

I am a noob and don't want to start a new thread; my question closely relates to the one here.

I wanted to confirm that if I get an FM3, I will be able to:

1/ Use the FM3 as a pedalboard going into two actual 5150 amps, with micropitch shift delays panned L/R
and, alternatively,
2/ Use the FM3 with its own single amp block and with stereo output, panned L/R.

Thanks!

I am a noob and don't want to start a new thread; my question closely relates to the one here.

I wanted to confirm that if I get an FM3, I will be able to:

1/ Use the FM3 as a pedalboard going into two actual 5150 amps, with micropitch shift delays panned L/R
and, alternatively,
2/ Use the FM3 with its own single amp block and with stereo output, panned L/R.

Thanks!
If you look up the FM3 manual and go to page 33 It shows how to do exactly what you want. Also, if you're using an actual amp you won't need the amp block at all, but you can also run the fm3 in the FX loop of the amps or use the 4CM to have pre and post FX. I would look through the manual a little too just to see what else you can do with the FM3, I did this a lot before finally buying one.

Back
Top Bottom