Welcome to the jungle delay Axe Fx?

themaidenmaniac

Experienced
Hey guys,

Any sound experts have tips for the settings at the start of welcome to the jungle?

I've got a great sound going on with a regular dotted 1/8th @ 104bpm (using my favourite, the 2290 emulation), but there's a bit more magic in there!

Im thinking 2 delays. But not sure how you'd set the 2nd. Was toying with dotted 16th or dotted 1/4 but didnt really work out.

the first few out-of-time notes have a delay on the studio version. live he just plays it without.

once the riff starts going in time, it's not delay, all the notes are actually played. (there may be some subtle delay effect added in post on the recording, but the riff is definitely all notes played, and not a 50% mix delay trick.)

there are a few discussions about this on this forum if you search for more background. but just watch any live version of Slash playing it and you'll see he's playing everything.

Last edited:
Try with a delay set for 16th notes repeat, 8 repetitions. set the mix amount to the desired feel. the real notes are played every 3 16th (in the descending pentatonic except for the last two notes played as 8th)

Nowa days, Slash doesn't use it live, but obviously you're just going for that classic studio sound he had on Appetite (Don't blame you! its mad!)
The exact unit he used was a Roland SRV2000 (classic 80s reverb/echo unit) they go for shit all nowadays last time I checked.

Heres a guy comparing some Appetite riffs with and without the unit (Sweet Child O' Mine especially!)

As for trying to replicate it via an Axe Fx, I've never tried it. Surely it would be able to nail it spot on. EASILY.
Just thought I'd throw in my 5 cents on what was actually used. Not too sure that too many people know.

Thanks Emanuel! Nice vid that. And yeah guys, was going for the original here. Playing the riff is all good, i would say the delay was quite integral rather than just providing the ambience but it is what it is : )

That roland unit is rather nice isnt it. You can hear that was the exact reverb on the record.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/88635-my-afd-slash-preset.html

Might have to take a look at this reverb.

Haha, damn I think I just realised what it was. Its a gallop delay. So you just have 2 delays going on and the first is a quarter trip and the 2nd is a quarter. Sounds spot on and also matches spot on to the supposed patch that was used on the album. Hopefully this will help someone in future.

My work in progress tone if you're interested- (effects jacked up slightly higher than they should be)

A slightly longer delay trail and a tape sim should get it pretty damn close i think. Might add that tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hey Kevin,

I think that clip sounds great. I definitely want that preset. Please post it when you get a chance.

I second that........would love to see that preset of yours. Share when you get the chance. Would be interesting to see how you have things laid out.

My work in progress tone if you're interested- (effects jacked up slightly higher than they should be)

A slightly longer delay trail and a tape sim should get it pretty damn close i think. Might add that tomorrow.

I was just about to post a message saying it's best not to get caught up in trying to mimic a tone too closely, then I actually listened to the clip and now I really want your preset lol

Thanks Emanuel! Nice vid that. And yeah guys, was going for the original here. Playing the riff is all good, i would say the delay was quite integral rather than just providing the ambience but it is what it is : )

That roland unit is rather nice isnt it. You can hear that was the exact reverb on the record.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/88635-my-afd-slash-preset.html

Might have to take a look at this reverb.

Haha, damn I think I just realised what it was. Its a gallop delay. So you just have 2 delays going on and the first is a quarter trip and the 2nd is a quarter. Sounds spot on and also matches spot on to the supposed patch that was used on the album. Hopefully this will help someone in future.

Please share this preset when you get a chance. It sounds spot on.

Have you gotten around to sharing it yet? I looked on Axe Exchange and didn't see anything that might be this preset.

I think there's a slapback acting as a sort of reverb, but there's definitely no dotted delay or anything on the actual intro beyond the first two false starts.

You can tell by listening for when he hits the low B - you definitely don't hear it more than once (aka, you don't hear the delayed repeat)

Oops, i'll get this up tonight! @Wolfenstein98k I did a lot of listening to it and concluded it was played pretty tight but the delay was still there albeit lower in the mix. I found you could hear it when he emphasised notes more e.g. the first passage at 23 secs you'll here it pop up. Another give away i thought was the ambience of the guitar all the way through it which is much wetter than the rest of the track. (did you check out the isolated one on youtube?)

Either way though, its one of those very fun effects to play along with! :)

Back
Top Bottom