Weird tuning issue

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
I've been running into some challenges with my new Kiesel Delos staying in tune.

I'm still troubleshooting although I suspect the nut needs some work.

In any case, while doing a lot of tuning I'm noticing something I've never experienced before.

The low E string seems to gradually ramp up to pitch. Normally, the strings will go a little sharp and then "settle" at a steady pitch... But in this case it goes gradually up in pitch...

And then the weirder part is it will then start to fluctuate up and down in pitch.

It's seems to be worse if I use the neck single coil compared to the bridge humbucker.

Any ideas?

Is it possible the neck pickup is too close to the string? They aren't really that close...

@Andy Eagle

I’d heard that with locking tuners that one may have better luck tuning down to pitch. Not sure if there is any merit to that advice. Anyone have evidence for that?

I've been running into some challenges with my new Kiesel Delos staying in tune.

In any case, while doing a lot of tuning I'm noticing something I've never experienced before.

The low E string seems to gradually ramp up to pitch. Normally, the strings will go a little sharp and then "settle" at a steady pitch... But in this case it goes gradually up in pitch...

And then the weirder part is it will then start to fluctuate up and down in pitch.

It's seems to be worse if I use the neck single coil compared to the bridge humbucker.

Any ideas?

Is it possible the neck pickup is too close to the string? They aren't really that close...

@Andy Eagle
If it is the nut when you bend a string it comes back flat.
is it possible you have counterfeit strings? they tend to do exactly this.

Sounds like a bad string to me. The part where it goes both up and down in pitch knocks out a lot of possibilities, at least as far as anything I have experienced. I’d start by replacing the offending string, and if that fixed it I’d replace the rest for good measure.

The only time I’ve ever experienced a “all over the place” tuning issue, oddly enough on a brand new Carvin back in the later 80s, came out to be a bad knife edge on the trem. They thought I was crazy until I returned it and they tried it themselves… and then gave me another new guitar. No such issues with it! The difference, though, was that the whole guitar went out, not just one string.

Any ideas?

@Andy Eagle
What kind of bridge do u have? And what strings are you using? I was having a similar issue with my Delos with a 510 Gotoh bridge but all my strings would fluctuate in pitch together either sharp or flat. So I cranked the bridge springs down more and that helped.

Back
Top Bottom