Weird question, but I am having trouble finding answers! Guitar strings!

Trainwreck1446

Experienced
This is more for all the high gainers out there, but I have been using the 1st 2nd and 3rd strings from the D'addario Jazz standard set(the 12's with the wound G) and the 4th 5th and 6th strings from a DR DDT set. with the thickest string being a 65. And the guitar is tuned in drop B. I love this setup, it feels great and I love it, but I feel like the strings die a little fast. Anyone know of better strings, or have any suggestions as far as this goes? I know acidity of the sweat and play time factor in to string life and all that. But I play Ernie Ball cobalt's when I am in Standard and they last quite a bit longer. I don't think it is the cause.

Guess I'm not sure about the gauges you need. Sorry about that. I use 11 thru 49's on my andersons and 9 thru i think 42 on my ibanez floaters. I believe they are coated but man I really like the way they sound. Tried some blue steels and diadario's and promptly went back to the elixirs.

edit:^^^^and last

But do they make strings in the gauges I mentioned? And I can't do any kind of coating. Down with coated strings!
I love Elixirs as well. Have them on any standard tuning guitars I own. I just decided to experiment with Drop C so I bought a pair of Ernie Balls I think it was. But I saw these and almost got a pair. Cost was why I didn't do it. Cleartone Drop Tune Electric Guitar Strings Drop C (13-70) NPS | Musician's Friend

I bought these but don't really like them. They felt "used" already. Maybe they were sitting around for a while since they are kind of a specialty item. D'Addario XL148 Nickel-Wound, Drop C Tuning Electric Guitar Strings | Musician's Friend

Last edited:
Elixir here too, aside from my Long Scale Les Paul which is tuned to C and uses Dunlop Heavy Core strings. They're awesome.

Since I've been using Fast Fret, I noticed my strings stay brighter a lot longer and they seem to last longer as well.

Since I've been using Fast Fret, I noticed my strings stay brighter a lot longer and they seem to last longer as well.
I haven't used that stuff for years but on a whim I bought some. Glad it works for you. I'm hoping it does for me too. In honesty ELIXIRs last a ridiculously long time.

Elixir do make 65s, but you may have to buy it separately (I don't think they make a 'drop tune' set but I may be wrong). They are coated, but it is an excellent coating. I have hated all other coated strings I have played except elixir, which I now use on all my guitars.

I've been using Elixir's for a long time. Just make sure to use the Nanoweb instead of the Polyweb. I switched to Cleartone's on my acoustic a couple weeks ago and they're pretty nice, but I have not tried their electric strings.

D'Addario's always feel lighter than they are, imo. They're one of the few string companies that actually pay attention to string tension and even have charts and tons of info on their site about how the type of material, thickness, and scale length all effect tension. The problem is they go dead so quickly. I really want to like them, but I think I'd have to change them every weekend.

I've used D'Addarios for years without any problems, after going through various other brands. Other people have opposing experiences where D'Addarios die on them quickly, or don't sound or feel the way they want, or whatever. I think you just need to try various things to find out which brand suits you best.

I'm curious if you find they all go dead quickly, or if it's more the DR or the D'Addarios. I used DR hi-beams for a long time, and I really, really liked them. I used Slinkys for a long time before that. But the DRs were getting harder to find and more expensive (particularly the Hi-beams), so I tried Slinkys again. I really like both. I've stuck with Slinkys because they're cheaper and everywhere, and I can change them frequently. If price and availability were equal, I'd probably go with the DRs though.

Back
Top Bottom