Weird high frequency hiss

I'm assuming you know Cliff was referring to windows you look thru (in the case) and not Windows the Operating System...

In the early 90s I was a young kid and we didn't own a computer yet at home. A news story came on about Bill Gates being the richest man in the world and I asked my Dad who he was and why he was so rich. My Dad told me "He's the guy that invented windows".

And for YEARS I thought he meant look through windows. I mean, it made since....they're everywhere.

I originally had my III next to my computer desk & PC tower. Big mistake.

Depending how I sat or stood, oriented the guitar, there was interference. High-frequency beeps/pings/hissing. Typical EMI. It doesn't overpower the full-bore guitar signal, but when the playing quiets or stops, before the gate activates, it was most noticeable.

(I was also 5 feet away from a WiFi router, electronic fan, and of course my phone. The sound was a problem. Especially with single coils or higher-gain.)

I moved my setup across the room and it's MUCH better. Still need to orient the single coil guitar a certain way sometimes, or turn the chair, but it's just unavoidable interference of all of these gadgets we all live with.

The thing that made the most difference for me was using the same power outlet (so same circuit) for all my gear and making sure that;
1.) the circuit is properly grounded
2.) be aware of how many amps your gear is drawing from that circuit.

Where I live each typical house circuit provides 10 amps. I had an electrician create a separate circuit which provides up to 15 amps.
I record right next to computer with my phone in my pocket all the time with ZERO audible noise......even when nothing is being played.

Obviously well shielded pickups/pots helps as well as good quality cables throughout the whole system.

Last edited:
I originally had my III next to my computer desk & PC tower. Big mistake.

Depending how I sat or stood, oriented the guitar, there was interference. High-frequency beeps/pings/hissing. Typical EMI. It doesn't overpower the full-bore guitar signal, but when the playing quiets or stops, before the gate activates, it was most noticeable.

(I was also 5 feet away from a WiFi router, electronic fan, and of course my phone. The sound was a problem. Especially with single coils or higher-gain.)

I moved my setup across the room and it's MUCH better. Still need to orient the single coil guitar a certain way sometimes, or turn the chair, but it's just unavoidable interference of all of these gadgets we all live with.

I had to do something similar. My PC was on the right side of my desk, so my guitar or bass would pickup noise whenever I sat down and played. I moved all my PC and networking devices to the left side of my desk and all my audio gear to the right side and it made things noticeably quieter.

Back
Top Bottom