Weak, distorted sound through CLR Neo II

Rick

Axe-Master
I’ll be contacting customer service this week, but have been having an issue with my CLR and wondered if anyone else has experienced the same and might know a solution.

I noticed my speaker go to a much lower, distorted volume while playing a clean patch a few gigs back. I checked cables, connections and tried others along with moving to channel 2 on the CLR... no change. Then it went away, and didn’t recur that night. Next gig, same experience, twice. Last night, I ran a separate cable to my powered vocal monitor in case it acted up again. It did, I turned up the vocal monitor channel... clear as a bell. It again disappeared after 15 minutes or so from the CLR, and made it through the midnight countdown with no other issues.

I’ll be returning to my RCF live until I can diagnose the issue. If anyone else has seen this, chime in. I’ve done enough swapping and testing that I am reasonably sure it is in the monitor itself, but will do more tests at home to replicate where I don’t have to immediately resolve the issue to perform. Thanks in advance!

I failed to mention that, once the sound went down in volume and became distorted, it was so on all patches.

It happened once to me too, but it didn't went away by itself. I thought something was blown so I completely opened and dismamtled the cab without figuring out the issue.
After hours of fiddling around I reassembled it and was ready to ship to atomic assistance, but I decided to turn it on one last time.. And there I found the culprit!
It was one of the switches in the back that was stuck on an in-between position, I moved it and it never happened again.

So, worth to check that out

Had this problem with CLR and another brand, where sound would intermittently cut out on clean patches. In both cases, they sent me a replacement module, which was easy enough for me to install (that's saying something). That solved the problem. I think those modules may be the tubes of the digital age, susceptible to failure.

It happened once to me too, but it didn't went away by itself. I thought something was blown so I completely opened and dismamtled the cab without figuring out the issue.
After hours of fiddling around I reassembled it and was ready to ship to atomic assistance, but I decided to turn it on one last time.. And there I found the culprit!
It was one of the switches in the back that was stuck on an in-between position, I moved it and it never happened again.

So, worth to check that out

I ran it for about 5 hours at home over the weekend and, as expected, not so much as a wisp of an issue. Will try it again this week. I will keep an eye on that switch. Thanks!

Had this problem with CLR and another brand, where sound would intermittently cut out on clean patches. In both cases, they sent me a replacement module, which was easy enough for me to install (that's saying something). That solved the problem. I think those modules may be the tubes of the digital age, susceptible to failure.

I am going to call them later in the week and see what they suggest. Thanks for the input!

Ok... update.

I did the full test again with the A/B/Y with the RCF monitor and the CLR did the fuzzing out thing again. When it starts, there is a rhythmic clicking noise also, which I thought was related. However, that went away (or at least became more intermittent) after about 30 minutes, but the sound is still weak and badly distorted. Definitely the CLR, either channel, any setting. Checked to make sure all switches and cords were fully engaged. This one's off-line until I hear back from Atomic on what to do. I'll report back when I know something.

Last edited:
Not sure if the same thing. I have two of the CLR Neo II cabs... On some patches I get a buzzing on some models ('59 Bassman). I don't believe this is the CLR, but part of the new firmware modeling in the III. Please keep us posted what you find out. Thanks.

Sorry guys, I thought I had updated this then noticed it was just the update on the testing.

I sent the power section only of the Neo II off to Atomic for them to give it a look. Tom agreed it was something in the power section, and did a repair. I don’t know what was repaired as there wasn’t any detail on the return. It works as new, and has sounded really good since it’s return to the stage. My III was running on 5.02 the last couple of gigs and is just roaring, and that at any volume needed. So, the CLR is back on first-call duty.

Wish I knew a good RCF tech to go through my NX12SMA the same way. After hundreds of gigs, it could use a little love too.

Back
Top Bottom