We Need V-Expressions For The Axe-FX

Howdy y'all!

There's a company out there named vexpressions.com that custom makes packages of "kits" for electronic drum modules, like the Roland TD-12, TD-20, etc. What the company does is take guys that know every in and out of a particular module then have them spend a ridiculously long time tweaking kits (patches) to sound like a perfect match to whatever kit they were going for (eg. Maple kit, roto-kit, Acid Jazz kit, etc). You can then buy corresponding packages of, say, 50 kits of rock kits, or recording-ready kits, etc.

While everyone here could just sit and spend hours tweaking their own patches what would you guys think of the ability to buy a large pack of really well made, ready to play patches that are more than just a typical "this is what you can do with this unit" default stuff? Does the axe-exchange completely eliminate the need for something like that.

I wouldn't use it if I had to buy it....I don't even really get things off the exchange.
The tones i go for are easily reachable with minimal tweaking on the axefx.

Well I'd definitely be interested.
I'm just not into tweaking. I really find it tedious searching for a tone and endlessly changing parameters trying to find it. I'd rather play my damn guitar :?
Give me an awesome sounding tone to rock with straight away and I'm happy.

I have a TD-9SX kit and have bought some of the V kits and they are cool.

With that said, I don't really see that working with the Axe because patches can sound so different depending on guitar, pickups, and so forth.

I like the idea, but as Chad says I think it's unworkable because everyone uses different means of amplification, different guitars, etc. For example, I have found the vast majority of tones posted on this forum or on Axechange simply don't sound better on my system than my own presets, so why would this be any different?

reminds me of a crazy idea I had when I saw a program about eastern europeans being employed to play video games to improve their western employer's online status. You could similarly give someone a few classic albums and get them to tediously replicate all the tones on them on the modeller of your choice. A niche market perhaps. I did say it was a crazy idea.

It's not a good idea.
Like Mike said, I don't think many users even bother with axchange, each players setup, guitar / amp / routing is different. Most presets by other people i ever tried sounded horrible!. They probably sounded great for them, but terrible for me. The other thing to consider is how do you play? Do you use a pick? How much attack do you put on the strings? What do the pickups sound like? There are literally countless variables there. This is a good thing. It would be awful to think that MY sound is the same as the next guy's. Create your own tones, and be expressive, individual, and real :!:

Differences in output devices is definitely a hurdle, or even killer, for this kind of idea. Drums have a pretty narrow field of variation coming from different speakers, but guitars have a lot more nuance.

I think its a very good idea ... it wouldn't eliminate tweaking but it would give you an excellent starting point. There are some very golden ears out there with lots of experience listening to various amps and effects configurations. Many of us simply do not have that level of experience and could certainly benefit from a 'package' that captured that experience. It would save us from having to reinvent that wheel and would give us a good starting point to build our own experience bank.

There might be a family of packages based upon a given set of amps, cabs , FRFR systems, guitar types, and pickups. Of course you couldn't cover everything but you could get some major categories (e.g. FBT, QSC ) and then couple that with some guidelines about how to optimize those presets for your specific gear. You'd still be tweaking but presumably starting from a point which is a lot closer than just starting with a factory preset.

Back
Top Bottom