WDW Rig - How do you set this up

Alainarose

Inspired
I have 3 Xitone Passive Wedges and 2 Matrix Power Amps. I would like to know how to properly set up a W-D-W rig using the Axe Fx 2 Mark 1? Need to know what physical outputs on the back to properly utilize and most of all how to set up a patch to accomplish this? My main focus is on the patch on how to properly get the dry signal out its own channel or dedicated output. Is this done by the use of a effects loop right after the cabinet block so it will not pick up the delay and reverb blocks?

I know this has been posted numerous times but I cannot find history on a setup to answer my questions properly.

Sorry if this is reviving a dead horse from the past but if someone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards

Robert

I have 3 Xitone Passive Wedges and 2 Matrix Power Amps. I would like to know how to properly set up a W-D-W rig using the Axe Fx 2 Mark 1? Need to know what physical outputs on the back to properly utilize and most of all how to set up a patch to accomplish this? My main focus is on the patch on how to properly get the dry signal out its own channel or dedicated output. Is this done by the use of a effects loop right after the cabinet block so it will not pick up the delay and reverb blocks?

I know this has been posted numerous times but I cannot find history on a setup to answer my questions properly.

Sorry if this is reviving a dead horse from the past but if someone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards

Robert

Yes, that would get you there, I'm sure there are other layouts you could use but getting the signal flow right is the important thing. Placing stereo effects delay verb etc after the cab for OP-1 or OP-2 depending on how you layout is going to be important as well.

If you use OP-1 as your wet path then it's pretty straight forward... effects after the cab block and OP-1 L and R to the Matrix then the cabs. Branch off the cab block in the signal chain with the FX loop for OP-2 and that goes mono to the other Matrix amp and dry cab. For that you could either use one side of the Matrix or Bridge it for mono operation just watch your volume settings.

The point of tri-amping back in the day was to keep the analog signal pure, which is pointless in an Axe setup, it's all digital to begin with. I carted a tri-amp rig around for 20 years, I'm not missing anything with Axe in stereo.

The point of tri-amping back in the day was to keep the analog signal pure, which is pointless in an Axe setup, it's all digital to begin with. I carted a tri-amp rig around for 20 years, I'm not missing anything with Axe in stereo.

For small rooms and stages, W/D/W gives the performer a unique aural experience (and at least some of the audience if the W/D/W backline is providing the audience sound and not the FOH.)

With this, output 2 is dry, output 1 is wet L/R.

You can use the front panel knobs out 1 / out 2 to balance it or the output mixer.

axefx%20ii%20wdw_zpsjt7mbu4o.jpg

The dry output from the FX Loop block is mono in my preset.

The physical connections would be:

AxeFx II Out 2 L -> Power amp -> Dry speaker
AxeFx II Out 1 L -> Power amp -> Wet speaker 1
AxeFx II Out 1 R -> Power amp -> Wet speaker 2

Attachments

• WDW barh.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
For small rooms and stages, W/D/W gives the performer a unique aural experience (and at least some of the audience if the W/D/W backline is providing the audience sound and not the FOH.)

Not to mention that it does bring a certain HUGENESS to the monitoring experience. Nothing like being slathered in sound :encouragement:

With this, output 2 is dry, output 1 is wet L/R.

You can use the front panel knobs out 1 / out 2 to balance it or the output mixer.

axefx%20ii%20wdw_zpsjt7mbu4o.jpg

So with this arrangement, if I add in the FX loop block, does this automatically come out of the physical output 2 on the back of the amp or do I come out of the send on the back of the axe fx to my second power amp handling my middle dry cabinet?

I got the concept down, just the hard output (physical jacks) and soft output (settings in blocks) is my only brain fart right now. Just kind of confused how the FX block in this arrangement is designated as output 2? Brain farts I know......

For work I design major control systems and automation for Water/Wastewater/Power and Automotive plants and I can't figure this simple thing out. Ugh....

Thank you very much, time to get Slathered In Sound like SixString mentioned.

Again thank you for everyones help with this.

So with this arrangement, if I add in the FX loop block, does this automatically come out of the physical output 2 on the back of the amp or do I come out of the send on the back of the axe fx to my second power amp handling my middle dry cabinet?

I got the concept down, just the hard output (physical jacks) and soft output (settings in blocks) is my only brain fart right now. Just kind of confused how the FX block in this arrangement is designated as output 2? Brain farts I know......

For work I design major control systems and automation for Water/Wastewater/Power and Automotive plants and I can't figure this simple thing out. Ugh....

edited my post to describe the connections.

I carted a tri-amp rig around for 20 years, I'm not missing anything with Axe in stereo.

Same here.
Back in the days I used to run a combo DRY and a 2 4x12 cabs in stereo for WET (power amp) and yea, the sound was huge and so was my back pain.
So, I really don’t miss it, with the Axe I got a great stereo sound.

What's the purposes of a W/D/W in the Axe when you can blend the Wet/Dry level of all stereo FX? Would the only reason to be if you wanted a different amp for the stereo wet FX than the dry amp? And you would need 3 outputs to accomplish this? Can I just use 2 amp blocks and have 1 dry mono and then 1 amp sent to stereo fx and blend them before hitting outputs 1 and 2?

Back
Top Bottom