WDW or Stereo?

gtrjunkie

Inspired
I want to get opinions on this so I can plan some future purchases. I just bought a CLR active wedge and really like it. I have been using 2 ELX112P's previously and the CLR really gives that amp sound. The ELX's aren't bad but sound like a guitar through a pa to me compared to the CLR. Given the choice, which would you pick? A WDW with the CLR dry and the 2 ELX's left and right or 2 CLR's in stereo?

Last edited:
WDW all the way !! I would do the two CLRs in stereo and use one of the other ones for dry until you can maybe upgrade for the dry.

I'm using two CLRs myself in a WDW rig, with a power amp and 4x12 for the dry...sounds phenomenal ! Of course the WDW would be a lot to set up live, but for playing at home its the s&%t !!!

W/D/W.

I saw some sound reasoning in another thread. It said that you get the stereo spread on the effects and have a central dry source. If you stick with a pure stereo rig, each audience member gets a portion of the sound, and there is no replicated centre except for a chosen few in the sweet spot between the two cabinets. The centre cab fills this out. Also, you could control the volume of the central speaker via a volume pedal without touching the L/R ambience, which would be great for effects, soundscapes, etc. helping the impact of the central amp when you volume up.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW I don't run a W/D/W rig yet, but will in the near future.

W/D/W.

I saw some sound reasoning in another thread. It said that you get the stereo spread on the effects and have a central dry source. If you stick with a pure stereo rig, each audience member gets a portion of the sound, and there is no replicated centre except for a chosen few in the sweet spot between the two cabinets. The centre cab fills this out. Also, you could control the volume of the central speaker via a volume pedal without touching the L/R ambience, which would be great for effects, soundscapes, etc. helping the impact of the central amp when you volume up.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW I don't run a W/D/W rig yet, but will in the near future.

Yea, I read that also. This would just be for home use. Great idea about the volume pedal!

Hmmmmmmmmm. I have a pair of CLR NEOs. If I did put together a W/D/W rig and decided to use the CLRs for the wet signals ... what would be ideal for the dry solution? :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I read that also. This would just be for home use. Great idea about the volume pedal!

Yes, great idea! Thanks :D

Back to the OP, I'd definitely go for a second CLR and a stereo setup. The difference in quality matters to me.
In the time it will be possible to add a third cab for WDW, if ever needed. But a stereo CLR setup is gorgeous and lush already :encouragement:

I want to get opinions on this so I can plan some future purchases. I just bought a CLR active wedge and really like it. I have been using 2 ELX112P's previously and the CLR really gives that amp sound. The ELX's aren't bad but sound like a guitar through a pa to me compared to the CLR. Given the choice, which would you pick? A WDW with the CLR dry and the 2 ELX's left and right or 2 CLR's in stereo?

Without a shadow of a doubt and any day of the week: 2 CLR's for a top stereo system.

Trying hard not to be a tease, but just know ....one CLR is a gateway to 2 CLR's, 2 CLR's are a gateway 3 CLR's for a perfect WDW system. What's not to like :)

Back
Top Bottom