Watered down sound on all high gain presets

I had the same problem when I got mine used. The owner, who is a good friend, told me it sounded fantastic with quantum 1.0. It just wasn't cutting it for me. It sounded dull and weak.. When I installed 1.01 it came alive and it's been good since. I didn't need to run the treble boost ALL of the time like I did before.

My unit seems to like brighter guitars. My Jackson dinky has a graphtech ghost bridge and still sounds dull even compared to the same guitar with a stock bridge. My Charvel Desolation sounds awesome with high gain.

Listened to the clip. It does sound thin and weak, but it was a low output strat. With a les paul it would sound better, even better doubletracked in a mix.

I've installed the firmware twice now actually. And yes, it sounds worse with the strat, but it still sounds weak and questionable with my MusicMan. I'll bust out the R8 and do another pass this evening.
Cool. Yeah we need to hear a bit more to understand what may be happening. I'll be looking out for your updates.

I'm realitively new to the Axe FX 2. I bought mine new and followed the same procedures you did to reset it. The unit sounded terrible. Here is what I did to make it sing.

First the amp sims were off globally. Apparently the person before me used it with an amp and turned the amp sim off. That is accessed by clicking the GLOBAL button on the unit then using the NAV buttons down twice to CABINET MODELING then use the VALUE rotor to change it to ACTIVE. While you are on that page make sure that you have the POWER AMP MODELING on also. As far as I can tell there is no way to reset these values to factory. You have to do the procedure above (please gurus let me know if that is correct).

Second I downloaded Fremen's Axe FX Presets from his blog: http://axefremen.blogspot.com/. They are a world better than the stock presets and really helped me to fall in love with the Axe Fx 2.

If I had not done both of the above I would have sold the unit. I'm glad I didn't.

As far as I can tell there is no way to reset these values to factory. You have to do the procedure above (please gurus let me know if that is correct).
"Reset System Parameters" on the Reset page in the Utility menu on the front panel of the Axe will do that, as well as resetting some other system settings.

Big improvement on the first sound you had, but I think that song definitely needs a fatter guitar than a Strat (or single coil). Sounds like you are a heck of a lot closer on the AFX though, I would consider trying the same with a hum bucker type guitar now if I were you.

Yeah, that's a Les Paul '58 Re-Issue on that one... it sounds a lot like the original side by side, but needs tweaking for sure.

Basically I think the Axe is just so true to life, you simply have to tweak a bit more. Which is fine. Expectations adjusted.

Ha ha! We all have those ears after blasting a few hours of guitar time, especially with cans on!

I listened again, and was wondering if you are using the NULL mic on the cab block? And what cab are you using too btw? Is it the same one from the presets?

EDIT: Meant to add I use the NULL mic quite a lot because it really thickens thing up for me when I need it.

The only setting I changed at all was the saturation, and activating the tube screamer. I'll try that setting on the mic. This level of control is very new to me, so I'm trying to just learn a few parameters at a time to make sure i actually understnad what they're doing.

Chuchma, here is a clip with fresh strings and tuned in Eb instead of E, on the rhythm pickup, tone at a 4, on the sweet child setting with saturation on auth and the screamer on. Btw, both mics are set to none on this preset by default. I don't hear a big difference on null... but I think null mic does sound ever so slightly more round and plump.

Sounds pretty good to me now!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dylyhamvlefil1/noodle.mp3?dl=0

Yeah that's the stuff!! :D

Good work David! Fat tone on that last one, I like! Well done dude!

...tuned in Eb instead of E, ...

Interesting you said that, I normally play the riff 2 semi tones lower than the original because I get a thicker, creamer sound that way. It's probably cos of my 11 gauge strings and guitar more than anything else. Your's is sounding great though!

Back
Top Bottom