Watch your deliveries!

mph

As with pretty much everyone else. I waited a goodly amount of time between joining the wait list and receiving my foot controller. No complaint, just impatience on my part.:D, which is an understatement. :rolleyes:

Anyway... The delivery day came (Saturday) I paced back and forth peering out the window every chance I got. Well... that lasted until my wife couldn't take it anymore :confused: She gave me some busy work to do while waiting. She claimed it would save me from wearing ruts in the floor. LOL

All the while one of us (the dog included) were within 30' of the door. My dog will pitch a fit from the second floor if someone so much as gently taps on the front or rear door let alone uses the doorbell. Just as I was finishing up the busy work, I got a email from UPS. I ALWAYS sign up for notifications. The email stated that my package had been delivered!!! Wait... What!?!?! Delivered!?!?!?, no one hear a thing!!! No spidey senses tingling, no dog going nuts... Nothing! I quickly walked (ran) to open the door and on porch it was! The driver had signed for it and left it!!! Without so much as even knocking!!! The absurdity of it is, he signed the wrong name!!!

I got on the phone with UPS ASAP!!! They said they would file a complaint on my behalf and someone would call me back within the hour... Hours, then days passed. I called them again today (Monday) and pitched another fit. This time, I did get a call back within 10 minutes. The person on the other end was quite understanding with my gradual elevation in volume as I explained what happened. :rolleyes:

With the growing population of porch pirates, I would think the any conscientious breathing being, let alone a delivery driver, would know better.

Just my 2¢

Yep - We have the same issues here with Aussie post now they seem to hire contractors from the subcontinent.
Pauly

At work we setup cameras so we can monitor for deliveries from the office. We have had UPS and FedEx drivers who are impossible to miss, to our current drivers who are in and out - quiet as mice.

Occasionally we can’t have them in the building at all due to contamination so we leave messages hung on the exterior of the door telling them to leave deliveries outside the main delivery area, or to press the bell or to direct them to what building where somebody will be available to sign for packages, etc.. We have their cell numbers, and the local depot numbers, but leaving standard laminated A4 size notices hung outside where they can’t miss them works great for us.

We have had a few real-gripes over the years. Recently, we had a new FedEx driver who decided he would just dump everything outside on a rainy day ...on a Saturday.. only pure luck I caught that as I drove past work. That could have easily been thousands in loss or damage with that one. I tracked the guy down and just spoke to the guy - never had a problem with him since. He didn’t realize he could leave the deliveries inside the building was all. Just chatting with him solved that.

Big companies like FedEx and UPS.. if you file a complaint, unless there is real loss involved, not much seems to get done. If you want real results you communicate with the driver. ..Besides leaving notices on the door on atypical days, I have always had better luck just talking to the drivers, just chatting with them a little if I have an issue. Always solves the issue - just works out better.

I have always had better luck just talking to the drivers, just chatting with them a little if I have an issue. Always solves the issue - just works out better.

sometimes doing a talk with the driver doesnt work,some UPS and FedEx drivers are rude.

sometimes doing a talk with the driver doesnt work,some UPS and FedEx drivers are rude.

True enough, some are, and that's when you have to ... well ..."get rowdy" ;0) ...But the Vast Majority I have dealt with, aren't.

If a person goes out there with an attitude, looking to blow off some steam and kick a little ass, then the drivers get defensive.. I would, I'd get pissed real-quick if somebody got in my face, that's normal human behavior I think. ...And I think they see some of that .. and when somebody is heading straight at them with a stormy expression, might-be they expect the worse and put their defenses up. ...I might, after a while, in a job like that.

They are also neck deep in deliveries, they are monitored using GPS, and are given only so much time to deliver a package.

..But, except for a couple of times when I had to really deconstruct a few people - a single driver who didn't want to do pickups (heavy boxes) and his supervisor who was letting that slide at a local depot, all the drivers I have dealt with have generally been good people.

..Anyway ..just from my own experience - phoning in complaints is generally a waste of time - especially if you received your package. Leaving notices - usually that works for us, and chatting with the drivers ..Hell, you get a good one, they'll give you their cellphone numbers - they'll go out of their way for you. You can call them, they'll tell you where they will be in 20 Mins so you can meet them in case of emergency pickups. They're great.

I wouldn't go out initailly dialied in at 10 though.. Never get the best results that way.. You can always dial it up to whatever notch gets the job done later, but you rarely get to dial it back - first impressions and all that.

This is one reason I just today got a RING doorbell. It has a built in camera as well as a motion sensor so that when anyone even approaches the front door it will alert me via either my computer or cell phone (or both), while also allowing 2-way communication with that person as well as video recording the whole incident.

I am fortunate that I have a brick wall in front of my porch. Someone would have to come up my driveway and poke their head around to see if something was on the porch. I also do not have a doorbell, so it's particularly excruciating on delivery days...I listen for any noise (even with 2 dogs who are more likely to sing out if someone approaches.)

Yet I'm still nervous if I drive around the corner to get a drive thru burger. I think Murphy will raise his mottled head.

Reactions: mph
At my house deliveries are left on the porch "without" a ring or knock about 75% of the time. My dogs notify me on most of those occasions. No ring, no knocking, dogs barking, open the door to see a package sitting there and the ass end of the delivery truck halfway down the street. LOL

I am fortunate that I have a brick wall in front of my porch. Someone would have to come up my driveway and poke their head around to see if something was on the porch. I also do not have a doorbell, so it's particularly excruciating on delivery days...I listen for any noise (even with 2 dogs who are more likely to sing out if someone approaches.)

Yet I'm still nervous if I drive around the corner to get a drive thru burger. I think Murphy will raise his mottled head.

I do have a brick wall at the front of my porch that runs all but the width of the stairs about 30'. I hung a discrete sign on the door asking for packages to be left along the wall where they would be out of sight, unless you climbed the stairs. It was there for over a year, very few deliveries were placed where I asked. At this point I don't think that even a conveyor belt leading to the wall would help! LOL

I have always had better luck just talking to the drivers, just chatting with them a little if I have an issue. Always solves the issue - just works out better.

I used to have some good relationships with the drivers from FedEx, UPS, USPS, DHL & others back the '90's and '00's. Nowadays, all you see is their tailgate. I'd much rather use honey than vinegar, but these days unfortunately I find little choice, and I'm sure my complaints fall on deaf ears.

I would have the expensive packages delivered to work, but it's frowned on. I had a VG Strat delivered to work, they questioned it. I said it's a fender! (I work for an automotive supplier). They got a chuckle, then frowned. :D

Back
Top Bottom