warranty and 80mm fan mod

cporro

although i searched the wiki and this forum i could not find the answers. maybe i'm a bad searcher.

1) i bought my axe standard used. is the warranty transferable? it's 2 years right?

2) i have read that replacing the stock fan with another 60mm does not void warranty. i want to replace with an 80mm (25mm deep) fan. i will use epoxy to widen stand off mounting.

that way i can go quieter, less rpm, more cfm moved, and work the fan less.

thx

although i searched the wiki and this forum i could not find the answers. maybe i'm a bad searcher.

1) i bought my axe standard used. is the warranty transferable? it's 2 years right?

2) i have read that replacing the stock fan with another 60mm does not void warranty. i want to replace with an 80mm (25mm deep) fan. i will use epoxy to widen stand off mounting.

that way i can go quieter, less rpm, more cfm moved, and work the fan less.

thx
AFAIK the answer to you first question 1) is no, the warranty does not transfer, the second question is moot :)

distance from cover to heatsink is about 43mm. standoffs are 12mm, stock fan is 10mm. so lets say stock has 21mm clearance (it has more because standoffs recess into fan).

but even if this converter made the clearance...it does not allow air intake from what i can see. it's designed for a vented chasis.

i did look for something to do the conversion but had no luck. it would need to allow intake. i'm def open to the idea.

the other issue is the null/eye of the storm. the stock fan is not mounted directly over the heat sink. it is offset. if i use the stock mounting the new larger fan would have it's "eye" over the heat sink a bit more. my plan is to find the sweet spot on new fan and mount accordingly. the mounting should be pretty easy. find position and let cure overnight. hope the position is the right one cause jb weld seems like tough stuff. This to That (Glue Advice)

being a psuedo-scientist i will take some before/after temps with a infared thermometer. ambient room temp will be maintained for both measurements. if the new fan doesn't cool at least as well as stock i'm gonna cry.

Fan
Newegg.com - SilenX IXP-34-12 60mm Case Fan
Home Depot:
#60 washers (plumbing) comes in bags of 10 you will need 8 of them
Machine Screws #6-32 x 1-1/4” (fasteners) usually bag of 6 you will need 4

_6251946.jpg

that fan is fine. but i still think a larger, slower, and quieter fan would work better move more air and last longer.

that fan is fine. but i still think a larger, slower, and quieter fan would work better move more air and last longer.

I have had no issues and it's pretty quiet (good for me)
Having said that I can appreciate the "mad scientist" syndrome, take some photo's when your done.

I'm a mad scientist myself, but you are likely to negatively affect resale value by modding it like that. I'd just go with the silentX.

i don't know if it will effect resale. i'll do a clean job. promise. i think a 80mm fan is just a better idea. 60mm is like taking your scooter on the highway. you can do it, just don't.

besides, i'll resell this fractal when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!

i don't know if it will effect resale. i'll do a clean job. promise. i think a 80mm fan is just a better idea. 60mm is like taking your scooter on the highway. you can do it, just don't.

besides, i'll resell this fractal when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!
I doubt it will affect resale value. Many of the other models have had the prior fan mod done. IIRC - Cliff has stated that replacing a noisy fan - as long as it follows guideline (> 15cfm flow ??) - it would not void the warranty. Putting a larger fan on an out-of-warranty unit, should be good.

Back
Top Bottom