Warning on Hosa 7-pin midi cable

brain21

Inspired
Look at this cable:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=333039

I bought this and did not notice the alignment of the right-angle to the 7 MIDI pins.

Long story short - You can NOT connect the right-angle end to the AxeFx. The right-angle will block the power cable connector right above the MIDI jack. You can NOT connect it to many MIDI floor controllers because the orientation of the MIDI input jack on the floor pedals is such that if you connect the right-angle end to the pedal-board, the angle points straight down, meaning your pedal board can now not sit flat on the ground.

Code:
--------|
        |=[]
--------| []
          []
           |

Clearly my ASCII art skills leave something to be desired. This pic would be a profile view of a Ground control where the thing sticking off the back is the MIDI cable, and the "[]" parts are the thick, shielded parts of the right-angle cable, and the "|" at the bottom is the regular part of the cable. As you can see the thick shielded/cover part of the right-angle jack sticks out below the bottom of the Ground Control.

Anyway, long story short, that cable blows thanks to crappy design, and the next option is MORE THAN DOUBLE the price!

so what your're saying is you cannot connect a 7 pin midi cable to the axe fx ultra, correct ? you have to go with the 5 pin, because I just got my Axe Fx and my Voodoo Lab CGP , and in the GCP manual it says you have to connect it with the 7 pin. thank you very much for posting this but what is the solution then ? if you connect it with the 5 pin is something not gonna work on the GCP or the Axe Fx ?
cheers
Ed

chopshop777 said:
so what your're saying is you cannot connect a 7 pin midi cable to the axe fx ultra, correct ?
No, what he's saying is that you can't use that particular cable because the plug gets in the way. Right angle plugs can be useful when they bend the way you want, however in this case it bends up and thus is in the way of the phantom power plug. If you can't plug a power adapter into the phantom power plug then you cannot phantom power your foot controller, hence the 7 pin cable is useless.

+1 for Best-tronics.com (aka guitar-cable.com). I've had nothing but good luck with their cables.

chopshop777 said:
so what your're saying is you cannot connect a 7 pin midi cable to the axe fx ultra, correct ? you have to go with the 5 pin, because I just got my Axe Fx and my Voodoo Lab CGP , and in the GCP manual it says you have to connect it with the 7 pin. thank you very much for posting this but what is the solution then ? if you connect it with the 5 pin is something not gonna work on the GCP or the Axe Fx ?
cheers
Ed

You can use a 7-pin cable, just get a straight cable as shown in the other responses. Once I return the one I just bought, thats what I plan to do. :)

oddb0d said:
Yeap. I don't like those cables either. My Rocktron Midi Mate was elevated because of it etc. If you have it on a pedalboard then you might be able to make it work. I hated it. I bought this cable instead. Awesome, definitely recommend it as the standard for all people wanting a durable 7 PIN MIDI cable.

http://best-tronics.com/guitar-cable/MIDI/midi7.aspx

My thread on it is here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8830

Thanks oddb0d for that link. I'm in Oz but had one shipped, only took about a week and was surprisingly affordable. Great quality too!

Thanks,

T

Back
Top Bottom