Wish Warmer delay and reverb [partly implemented]

Andrevv

I want warmer delay and reverb with more oomph. The current delay and reverb sounds too metallic imho. I hope FAS will improve this on upcoming firmware update.

Some new Delay types, recently added to the Axe-Fx II, will be carried over to the FX8.
In the meantime it's easy to recreate these on the FX8 by decreasing High Cut Freq in the Delay block to below 3000 Hz.

Regarding Reverb: you can also "warm up" the verbs by decreasing High Cut to, say 4000 Hz. But I totally disagree about them sounding "metallic".

The don't sound metallic at all to me... and like yek said the main difference between reverb and delay sounds is EQ... that's typically all that "warm" is...

I am happy to hear that we're getting some new delay types though! I really can't wait for the new firmware :D

Try the EQ on the delay block to get rid of some of the spikey highs and boost some of the lower frequencies slightly. I think (if I remember correctly) there is an EQ tab for the block in FX8 Edit on most blocks.

I want warmer delay and reverb with more oomph. The current delay and reverb sounds too metallic imho. I hope FAS will improve this on upcoming firmware update.

what FW are you on?

All the reverbs were redone not too long ago, and the metallic ringing is gone.

I also don't agree they are metallic or too cold. Sounds like you have something else going on, perhaps line level going into an instrument level loop? Not sure, but describing either as metallic is not my experience at all.

Improve the Delays?
How can you improve the best Delays on the market dude?

Warm usually means cut the highs.
Not always & truly true. With AXEFX older firmware everyone was "taming the high" in the amp section, to make the simulation more "real", more "warm" and "pleasant". The solution was to better emulate the tube behaviour, that is the dynamic interaction that lead to a lively, tridimentional sound. The same with delay. You could tame the high as low as you can, but the imperfection of tape, heads, motor, alimentation... it's not there! It's subtle, but when you compare them side by side with real tape machine you miss something.

Axefx delay are good? Yes! Are unique? Yes! They are the same as tape machine? No. Can we add modulation and imperfection? Yes! Now it's the same? No. There's still a little gap. IMO. ;)

Last edited:
Not always & truly true. With older firmware everyone was "taming the high" in the amp section, to make the simulation more "real", more "warm" and "pleasant". The solution was to better emulate the tube behaviour, that is the dynamic interaction that lead to a lively, tridimentional sound. The same with delay. You could tame the high as low as you can, but the imperfection of tape, heads, motor, alimentation... it's not there! It's subtle, but when you compare them side by side with real tape machine you miss something.

Axefx delay are good? Yes! Are unique? Yes! They are the same as tape machine? No. Can we add modulation and imperfection? Yes! Now it's the same? No. There's still a little gap. IMO. ;)

well.. just make sure you don't confuse "warm" with tape... because there's a zillion people (real number btw) that claim BBD delays are "warm"... no tape in sight.

BBD delay are a whole different story. They are very lo-fi. Yes, warmer than warm. ;) Again IMHO, BBD is simple to emulate.

BBD delay are a whole different story. They are very lo-fi. Yes, warmer than warm. ;) Again IMHO, BBD is simple to emulate.

Totally - I just mean a lot of people think warm = analog cicuitry and much as warm = tape... so those people associate warm with cutting highs. And there's a crapload of those people. ; )

Put the reverb and delay blocks in from the amp block. Use a Fender model like a Bassman. Into a Fender cab like the 4x10. Dark EQ on the amp model. And it'll sound just like those clips up there.

Edit: DOH! Just noticed this was in the FX8 section. Adjusting for FX8-land: run your reverb and delay blocks in front of your real amp. Use an old Fender as your real amp. :)

Last edited:

This is oomph :)

I don't think either of those are that impossible to get on the FX8. There is of course some work involved because of the nature of those sound . But it's not unpossible. Most of what you're hearing is eq/filtering... it might be worth posting those on the main Axe-Fx forum and asking for help, as they're a lot more active. ☺

I own a pile, literally, of analog delay. I haven't had trouble with the FX8. I'll post some of my block settings here later today for you to try out.

Back
Top Bottom