Wanted to share my thoughts on creating high gain patches...

thinkpad20

Inspired
A while back I posted that I was very frustrated getting good high gain tones on the Axe-FX. Well I've come a long way since then (and thanks for all of the help, both here and at HCAF). Anyway I thought I might share some tips and tricks for those similarly frustrated... seeing as more and more high gain thrashers/death metallers/etc are using the Axe-FX these days, I feel like I could extend a (hopefully) helping hand.

My thoughts on a good high gain tone

First of all... the kind of sound I like might not be your kind of sound. I tend to like a very organic sound, but not to the point of mushiness - a very thick, warm tone, with copious mids (not a big fan of the modern scooped sound) and overall a lot of aggression that is simultaneously a bit restrained and refined. I like a balance that doesn't sound so raw as to restrict me to only playing brutal chug power chords or tremolo picking, nor is it too weak to be able to handle that kind of stuff, should I want to play it. I also place a lot of value on chord clarity - the ability to hear all notes of a chord - and saturation - the ability to have even single notes sound intense and present.

I should also note that I am MUCH more picky when it comes to rhythm tone compared to lead tone... so pretty much all of my tips are geared towards ideal extreme metal rhythm sounds, not necessarily your favorite singing leads. Which isn't to say that the two are mutually exclusive. :)

Finally, to see if anything I have to say is worth listening to for you, feel free to check out my soundclick for many examples of my tone(s) - and note how much it has evolved in the time I've owned the Axe-FX. Of course the ultimate tone is always a work in progress, and I don't know if I'll ever be really satisfied, but I definitely am pleased with the results I've been getting. Best part is, with almost every recording I feel like I'm getting a little better than before.

So, with that out of the way, let's get to the technical stuff. I won't go into every detail, but hopefully some of what I say might be useful.

Amp models

My favorite high gain amp models are most likely as such: IIC+, Das Metall, Energyball, SLO, 5150, X99, and depending on what mood I'm in, a JCM800 (almost always with a boost in front). Each amp has its own character of course, and each is good at different things. I often find that with one of these or a combination of two of these, I can get pretty much any high gain flavor I want.

I tend to use two, most often though not always. Usually one provides the "beef" and one provides the "edge." I just made those terms up, but basically the beef is the thick fat meaty tone and the edge is the sharper more cutting tone. When you add up the two, you get the sound I described earlier - huge and heavy for massive chords with a lot of punch and juicy harmonics, but with enough precision and cut to pull off single-note Cynic style riffs and generally get a sweet aggressive bite.

My favorites for the "beef" are the Das Metall the Energyball, and the 5150. For the "edge" I like the Mark IIC+, Soldano X99 or SLO, boosted JCM800. It's important to get a nice balance between the two - just 50/50 mix of each will not necessarily get you where you want to be, in fact you might find that one or the other is clearly dominant - but that doesn't mean the quieter one is any less important.

Of course I don't always use two amps. For single amp patches, I tend to use the IIC+ as my main go-to amp these days since it's so unbelievably versatile and sounds so excellent in pretty much whatever form you use it. Pretty much all of the Mesa amps when dialed in right can sound great - so can others as well - the Diezel and the SLO being my other two favorites. Again, there's no single right answer.

Cabs

Just flicking through the cabs makes it obvious that they are a huge factor in the tone - but what to use? Naturally there's no "right" answer, but here's what I do. I tend to most commonly mix the Cali 4x12 and the 4x12 V30 to get a nice balance between sharp and in-your-face (Cali) and more thick and full (4x12 V30). The German 4x12 is also good, it's a darker cab sim but it can complement a brighter cab like the Cali very well. Again, it's the same concept of balancing the two sides. Also note - you don't need to use a mic sim! In fact, I rarely do. Back when I used to experiment a lot more with cabs, I would get frustrated because I would feel that every mic sim took something away or added something unpleasant, and none of them were QUITE "right." I realized it was pretty much my own "principles" or whatever that made me feel the need to use mic sims, and so I stopped, only using a mic sim when I specifically felt it needed it, and rarely on both cabs.

Amp settings

Obviously this is one of the most important pieces of the puzzle. Well the first thing you look at is EQ. Honestly I rarely spend THAT much time on EQ since I tend to use extra EQ effects to fine-tune my sound. Furthermore exactly what to use really depends on the amp. But as some general guidelines - I often run with low-ish bass (rarely past 1:00) and high treble (usually 3:00 or so). I nearly always have the "treble bright" switch ON. As for mids, use your ears - but when in doubt, go for MORE rather than less. More mids can sometimes sound unpleasant to those used to listening to Fear Factory and Rammstein, but take my word for it, in a full mix you'll be much happier if you have more mids than if you don't have enough.

A common mistake - DON'T use too much gain. If your amp isn't sounding "brutal enough" it's a common mistake to up the gain, but often times this leads to a mushy digital-sounding tone that is not particularly pleasant to listen to or to play to (unless that's what you're going for).

But of course, in a high gain application, you need a lot of gain. So, how do you get it? Well boosting is an option, though I only use a boost if I really feel like the amp needs one - often times I think it can be detrimental to the overall tone. For me I've found the answer lies in tweaking page 2 of the amp settings. Damping, Master Volume, and Sag - in roughly that order - have a huge impact on the ability to get a lot of aggression without losing the "organic" sound that I like. My "trick" that I do almost on every patch is I crank the Damping to almost full, and turn down the Sag (rarely to zero; usually 9:00 or lower). The Master volume I can't prescribe a universal rule for, but it's very important. On the IIC+ I find that it sounds great wide open, whereas on the JCM800 I find that diming it can lead to some unpleasant tone. So, I can't tell you exactly what to do, but don't neglect it, OR presume that what worked for one amp will work for another! Then I move onto page 3, where I take down the warmth (usually to around 1.5 or so), boost the thump (usually about 3.5 or so) and, if I feel like it, try fiddling with the hi cut and low cut frequencies.

EQ

Last but definitely not least, never underestimate the power of the EQs - their tone-shaping capabilities can turn your sound from "OK" to "AWESOME!" with just a little fiddling. I nearly always have a parametric EQ or two in my signal chain, either right before or right after the cab sims. I usually leave the bass and low mids alone but often I'll add a bit in the upped mids and treble, and take a little away from the "mid" mids. This is all ear-based, but know it's a great and powerful tool.

For the graphic EQ - I used to use this a lot more but I don't so much nowadays, although of course you can - I just prefer the PEQ's ability to choose the frequencies and the Q instead of just the gain. The one thing I do use the GEQ for though is tone shaping BEFORE the amp. If the tone sounds too flubby or muddy and amp settings don't seem to be fixing it, I'll often try putting a GEQ before the amp and cutting some bass frequencies. If it's not sounding aggressive enough or it feels weak, I might add some treble frequencies. Etc. The effects may or may not be subtle, but like anything they can make or break a great tone. Also, a GEQ before the amp can be great for "spicing up" a rather ho-hum guitar. You can think of it like customizing the pickups - taking away bass tightens up the amp, adding treble imitates a hotter or more aggressive pickup, etc. Of course there's no substitute for really great woods and pickups but I've made some very satisfactory tones with some pretty non-impressive gear using a little pre-amp GEQ.

Further stuff

In my use of the Axe-FX so far I haven't delved into details like multi-band compression, filters, user IRs, etc - but they are all there to be used if wanted. I don't have any tips, but others have lots of experience in this area. If you find yourself frustrated and nothing I mentioned seems to be working for you, there are always some other tricks to try.

Hope this has been helpful for some. Happy tweaking, and more importantly, happy playing! :D

Wow - great post!! I don't use high gain at all, but I appreciate the detail you have provided. It has made me think a bit harder about how I get tones together.

Great post indeed. Are your presets stereo or mono? I mean that when you mix two cab blocks together, do you mix them to mono in the axe or just set their levels so that it sounds good and have one go left and other go right channel?

Glad you guys appreciated it!

I almost always do mono. I pan everything to the same channel (right, left, center, whatever) and set the levels of the various amps/cabs in that context.

(1) It's simpler, and takes up less disk space. :D

(2) I almost always record one or more take per side, as opposed to a single take, so it makes more sense for me to have one track for each take as opposed to multiple tracks that I need to mix. Which brings me to

(3) I generally use multiple amps/cabs not to have separate sounds, but specifically to produce an ideal tone. So splitting the two up doesn't make too much sense. If I envisioned it as a stereo rig, I might act differently, but really I just think of it as a single "amp" that happens, at times, to be constructed of a mixture of two or more tones. This is really the main and best reason my patches are mono.

(4) Recording mono allows me to use one side for my tone and the other side for a dry (pure guitar signal) track for reamping purposes if I want. This actually isn't something I've done yet, but it's something I plan on doing at some point.

Of course, recording stereo definitely has its advantages as well, and it's nothing I would rule out. A big advantage of stereo recording is the use of stereo effects... but I'm really more of a tone junkie than an effects junkie. ;)

Great tips! I like to use a peak filter before the amp. It's also another way to accent the mid while keep the bass and treble tamed (it makes it tight!). Das Metall I keep the gain about in the 4.16 to 4.8 range it keeps the clarity and has the tight palm mutes. I pretty much follow the same rules you do with the advance parameters. The Axe-Fx excels at tight metal tones!

Thanks thinkpad, good post, and I'll be keeping this thread in mind for when I go back and start working on my sounds again. I got my Standard this week and I started working on my high gain stuff last night. I knew immediately that the Mark IIC amp sim was going to be one of my favorites. I got some good stuff cooking but I haven't touched anything past the main EQ, and cab block...yet. Time to experience the depth of this thing, and really get into it.

Great! Thanks for sharing. I am not a metal guy, but occasionally I like to play harder stuff. And now I have a nice cheat sheet to come closer to those.

What a great forum! First Dweezil sharing his presets, now this high gain cookbook... Awesome.

Great read.

My high gain tastes are all over the board these days. (if it's any excuse, I'm 19...so I'm constantly changing my mind about what good tone is.

I used to be a big metal head, and I like all my tones sort of scooped and super gainy. The Powerball was my favorite sim by far. I even had a cab with g12t-100's to make my sound even more scooped.

As I started playing some softer music I began to realize how ridiculous my tone was. (you can't play metal in a worship band) I sold my scooped mids cab and bought what I thought was a happy medium between metal and worship tones. (a VHT 4x12) I love that cab. It's tight enough for metal but the speakers are very balanced EQ wise. Anyway, I had to drastically change my patches. Throughout my career of playing I noticed that mids were probably the most controversial topic among pro players. Everybody I talked to who had great tone would tell me it's all in the mids. I didn't understand because I hated mids. I had been scooping them for years.

Slowly but surely I started using more and more mids. I think it started when I started playing live a lot. I figured out that I needed a lot of mids to cut through the live mix. The rest is history I guess. Now I use mid heavy amps like the JCM800 and Cornford. However I do still use the Powerball for my heaviest rhythm patch. It's not a convential powerball though. The mids are jacked up and the bass is turned down. It sounds more like a modern voiced marshall than a powerball.

It's cool because I still play in a metal band too so I don't have to always play low gain stuff...but I definitely love both tones.

Great post thinkpad20!
Thank you very much, i'll save this as one more great reference for me to go and tweak away.. :cool:

A great place stock full of great people!

Great post. I'm a high gainer as well and I just started to scratch the surface on my new Ultra. For live purposes, my biggest challenge with the high gain amps is overcoming that nasally, 'tunneling' sound that some people complain about. And please don't advise me to turn the cabs off; to my ears, the Axe is useless withough the cab and power amps on. :cool:

My current 'go to' high gain amp is the FAS Modern. This thing is like a Recto on steriods.

I'll add one more things based on my experience. I'm currently running the Axe through a tube power amp that has presence and depth punch dials at the power amp stage. I've found these to really warm up the sound (less sterile and more organic). Naturally, I adjust the presence and depth settings down a bit in the Axe's amp settings. With this setup in the Axe, I generally never run the presence more than 12 oclock and depth even less than that.

ScaredSilent said:
Great post. I'm a high gainer as well and I just started to scratch the surface on my new Ultra. For live purposes, my biggest challenge with the high gain amps is overcoming that nasally, 'tunneling' sound that some people complain about. And please don't advise me to turn the cabs off; to my ears, the Axe is useless withough the cab and power amps on.

Live, I run my Axe-FX through a Carvin DCM150 and then into a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12. I set up all of my patches with cab sims in them, but running into a guitar cab I'll bypass them, but leave the power amp sims on. I don't think there's any problem with "stacking" power amps, but I think stacking cabs is very unpleasant.... Imagine if you replaced your stereo's FR speakers with guitar speakers... it just doesn't sound good. Guitar speakers shape the tone quite a bit, and you only want that shaping to happen once - unless you're specifically going for a weird effect. This is IMO of course.

And of course if I'm running into a PA or some other FRFR system I'll leave the cab sims on.

Bumping a dying post here to say that I tried your tactics for dialing in thick metal tones..

Holy crap! I've tried this method before, but I guess I wasn't approaching it right.

For the bass/body, I'm using the Uber, and for more body/attack/highs/etc, I'm using the Fryette 60M. I played few a few different combos (5150 and IIC+ seemed pretty nice to me), and figured "Why not! I don't like either of these amps on their own.. maybe they'll blend nice"..

Well, I certainly was right! I have the mids on both amps running @ around 8, with the bass/treble dialed in to flavor. I believe I have a PEQ after the amp, followed by a GEQ at the tail end of the patch. The PEQ is cutting @ around 500 and 800, around -4.5dB, Q set to max. The GEQ is boosting the midrange gently (max 3dB @ 500, I think). The bass is so deep, the mids are so present, and the highs are cutting but not piercing.

Thanks for this post!

i'll add something

i find i'm using the advanced amp features much more than the regular amp eq

Warmth
Thump
high frequencies
low cut are the things i tweak most

i tend to never touch sag, damp presence etc.
i just find an amp i like and keep the stock settings in that section

saxxamafone said:
i'll add something

i find i'm using the advanced amp features much more than the regular amp eq

Warmth
Thump
high frequencies
low cut are the things i tweak most

i tend to never touch sag, damp presence etc.
i just find an amp i like and keep the stock settings in that section

Sag, Master, and BRIGHT CAP are the first things I grab. I tripped into the bright cap thing by accident while I was fooling with the MK 2 C+. Really gets to the aggressive nature of the Mark amps...IMO.

Sticky for sure.

Question: What do you mean by saying you use to amp sims? Parallel and mixed or parallel and kept separate in stereo? Also, are you speaking of running everything direct?

I can't answer how he runs his, but I run mine parallel and mixed, due to me running a mono signal out to a power amp to feed my 4x12 cab. But, if I were running stereo, I'd probably keep the amps parallel and in mono, leaving the stereo field for effects.

hey guys great advice, this thread has really helped me get closer to my ideal metal tone. But I'm still having issues getting a more defined sound with good note separation. I play low in Drop-A (A-E-A-D-Gb-B) and I really am after barky dual rectifier tones and I was wondering if you had any suggestions on tweaks to making that low tuning sound better through my Ultra

Great post, thanks for sharing! By the way loved your arena rock(satch) soundclip! want to share some settings? :)

Back
Top Bottom