Wanted: Specific Reviews

axfxGTP

Hi All,

One thing I would like to see and yet haven't found is a review of a certain aspect of the Axe-Fx, such as a certain drive pedal, or a reverb, or delay, or even of a single amp. I've seen plenty of videos of those things in action, but not something set up like a review that focuses on, say, all of the sounds a single amp can do. Or all of the different settings a drive block can have, just as if someone is reviewing a new drive/fuzz pedal, and wants to show viewers how the pedal performs, what sounds it can produce, etc.

I'm quite sure they're out there, so please link me up if you've seen one. If not, I'd love to see some made. Thanks!

Seems sort of silly to go in depth about 1 of 200 amp models, especially when there are such a vast range of parameters that can radically change the feel/sound of a given amp.

Same goes for things like reverb or delay. There are WAY more settings than any pedal would have. Instead of 4 knobs, you've got 4 pages of parameters and probably, oh I don't know, 50 things you can tweak, on top of different ways to route the effect, where you put it in a chain etc. I don't know how or where one would even start.

Really (for me any way) is that reviews with words are basically useless, because the way we describe tone is subjective.

A video or audio clip tells you a million times more than a print review because you can use your OWN ears, instead of relying upon the ears of the reviewer, whom in turn has to find a way to subjectively describe what he/she heard, and then hope you have the same definition for those terms

Or perhaps your OP is just a bit of sarcasm that went over my head ?

Seems sort of silly to go in depth about 1 of 200 amp models, especially when there are such a vast range of parameters that can radically change the feel/sound of a given amp.

Same goes for things like reverb or delay. There are WAY more settings than any pedal would have. Instead of 4 knobs, you've got 4 pages of parameters and probably, oh I don't know, 50 things you can tweak, on top of different ways to route the effect, where you put it in a chain etc. I don't know how or where one would even start.

Really (for me any way) is that reviews with words are basically useless, because the way we describe tone is subjective.

A video or audio clip tells you a million times more than a print review because you can use your OWN ears, instead of relying upon the ears of the reviewer, whom in turn has to find a way to subjectively describe what he/she heard, and then hope you have the same definition for those terms

Or perhaps your OP is just a bit of sarcasm that went over my head ?

Yes, I'm definitely referring to audio/visual reviews. And that there is 200-ish amp models is my point exactly. I would like to hear the capabilities of a single amp/pedal/effect, just like real world review would demonstrate.

i'm doing demos of individual amps on my youtube channel/blog. only two vids in, but have at least 2 more coming this week. focusing on the lower gain stuff for now (since there are tons of high gain demos out there)

I have seen your videos and they are great, thanks for taking the time to make them. In those videos you are highlighting a single preset, though, and the only adjustments you make are to your guitar's volume. Not exactly what I am after, but closer than a demo that skim's the surface of the entirety of the Axe-Fx's capabilities.

If I'm interested in a certain amp or pedal, I'll do a search on Youtube and find plenty of in-depth reviews of the unit in question, showing how it goes from this-to-that, what it's capabilities are, examples of how it sounds, what it compares to, etc. I would like very focused reviews on the amps/pedals in the Axe-Fx. With the imminent release of the FX8, I think Axe-Fx"pedal" or effect reviews would be very apropos.

a normal pedal has 3 knobs with finite settings and combinations.

blocks in the axe have many parameters with limitless combinations. i don't think anyone has yet had the time to do something like what you are requesting. you could probably do 1-2 hour videos on a single effect block. 1-2 hours on a single amp. i mean really...

do you have an axe-fx? i would think those hours might be best spent turning knobs yourself.

as mentioned before, i can do a video showing how the double verb is a great metal amp. you may disagree completely with how i made it sound. not sure what good the video would have done at that point.

i'm doing demos of individual amps on my youtube channel/blog. only two vids in, but have at least 2 more coming this week. focusing on the lower gain stuff for now (since there are tons of high gain demos out there)

Thanks, you're videos are great. Keep up the good work!

I have seen your videos and they are great, thanks for taking the time to make them. In those videos you are highlighting a single preset, though, and the only adjustments you make are to your guitar's volume. Not exactly what I am after, but closer than a demo that skim's the surface of the entirety of the Axe-Fx's capabilities.

If I'm interested in a certain amp or pedal, I'll do a search on Youtube and find plenty of in-depth reviews of the unit in question, showing how it goes from this-to-that, what it's capabilities are, examples of how it sounds, what it compares to, etc. I would like very focused reviews on the amps/pedals in the Axe-Fx. With the imminent release of the FX8, I think Axe-Fx"pedal" or effect reviews would be very apropos.

oh i see now....you'd like for one amp to be gone through in detail as far as gain range, eq, etc??

oh i see now....you'd like for one amp to be gone through in detail as far as gain range, eq, etc??

Yes, exactly. Just like a review for a physical amp would do. Or a pedal/stompbox/effect, like drive, fuzz, distortion, reverb, etc.

And to the other ideas posted above, the fact that the Axe-Fx has so many more parameters can either be celebrated or ignored in the review. So, if the real world component only has three knobs, just use the corresponding "knobs" on the Axe-Fx. Or go wild and, as suggested above, spend an hour exhaustively going through a single Axe-Fx component. I can't be the only one that thinks this would be useful.

And, no, I do not yet have an Axe-Fx, but I'm working hard to get the wife's approval and my name goes on the list as soon as that happens. Wish me luck.

Yes, exactly. Just like a review for a physical amp would do. Or a pedal/stompbox/effect, like drive, fuzz, distortion, reverb, etc.

And to the other ideas posted above, the fact that the Axe-Fx has so many more parameters can either be celebrated or ignored in the review. So, if the real world component only has three knobs, just use the corresponding "knobs" on the Axe-Fx. Or go wild and, as suggested above, spend an hour exhaustively going through a single Axe-Fx component. I can't be the only one that thinks this would be useful.

And, no, I do not yet have an Axe-Fx, but I'm working hard to get the wife's approval and my name goes on the list as soon as that happens. Wish me luck.

for me it wouldn't necessarily be doing a video like that (i think you could cover it in pretty good detail in 10-20 minutes), it would be where to start with the amps? just so many to choose from!

for me it wouldn't necessarily be doing a video like that (i think you could cover it in pretty good detail in 10-20 minutes), it would be where to start with the amps? just so many to choose from!

True dat, but by the same token, there are so many presets to choose from! :)

Anyway, if anyone does do such a review it would be interesting, helpful and appreciated by me and others.

Back
Top Bottom