Wait for AXE FX IV or just get the AXE FX III ?

So the question is in the title. I have been using the first Axe FX since the dawn of time. For me I'm always unlucky in the sense that when I get something one day, a newer better version is round the corner and I'm always left disappointed that I didn't wait a bit longer. Do you guys think the fourth Axe FX is around the corner before I drop hard earned cash over the third one ?

Thanks in advance 🙂
Just keep using what you have and if or when an announcement happens get on the list!

You never know what will be next. If you are happy with what you have just stay there. I am still on my Axe fx II mk1. I wait for the Axe fx IV. I don't like the big 3U form factor of the III and not so fond of the big screen. Hopefully the IV will be 2U again with more effects updates and also more bass related stuff instead of yet more guitar amps and cabs.

If I was making this decision, I'd look at what people are currently doing with the unit and decide whether I thought the AxeFx III was adequate for my use case. For me, my limitations have little to do with my gear, especially the AxeFx. I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do.

99% of presets are no where near maxing out the hardware limitations - feels like there is no point to releasing new hardware when there’s substantial headroom to add software features and software improvements. Personally I hope the IV is far off in the future so that the software and firmware on the III continues to be supported and updated for much longer. Not sure what anyone envisions a IV might so that a III wouldn’t be able to?

99% of presets are no where near maxing out the hardware limitations - feels like there is no point to releasing new hardware when there’s substantial headroom to add software features and software improvements. Personally I hope the IV is far off in the future so that the software and firmware on the III continues to be supported and updated for much longer. Not sure what anyone envisions a IV might so that a III wouldn’t be able to?
I wouldnt worry about support.

So the question is in the title. I have been using the first Axe FX since the dawn of time. For me I'm always unlucky in the sense that when I get something one day, a newer better version is round the corner and I'm always left disappointed that I didn't wait a bit longer. Do you guys think the fourth Axe FX is around the corner before I drop hard earned cash over the third one ?

Thanks in advance 🙂
I had the same thought before buying AXE FX3 MkII Turbo and FM9 Turbo in the last 5 months...

I'd say: enjoy the present and enjoy the newest Fractal devices now and longer,
the future may hold too many surprises to postpone the fun. ;)

Thanks in advance 🙂
Even if they say “axe 4 !!” Today, if you live in Europe, you will have it 1 year after😅, so you have a year to go already 😅

I had a II and the III is much better. I say go ahead and get the III. No sense waiting. You will be pleased.

Get the III now and when the IV comes you dont have to worry about the waiting lists and then maybe at a later time go for the IV Mark-2 when it comes out if you GAS tells you an upgrade is required ;)

Thanks in advance 🙂
I sold my Axe FX XL2 and purchased an FM3 with money to spare to purchase a compact midi controller. While my FM3 is 'less powerful' than the 2, the portability and overall improvements in every function make it the bargain of the century IMO. Can I suggest moving to the FM3 could be a great budget option (it's not a budget unit) until you decide to dive in for a new rack unit.

I think the latest update shows that the value is in the software and the updates. The level of support and progress from Fractal must surely be market leading. Do it!

I look at it this way: I've had an Axe-FX III mk I for four years, and I'm not even close to outgrowing it. I don't have any "if only it did this" moments with it. FAS is still introducing major new capabilities/updates, and I imagine they will continue to do so as long as the hardware has enough runway for their ideas. If/when the next generation comes out, the III will probably still receive updates for years, based on FAS' past practices. My reason for moving to a IV would be if I reach a point where the III doesn't have enough cpu, or if the IV has some compelling new feature that can't be ported to the III.

Gapless preset switching is now available, giving some of us a gapless switching option that no longer requires CPU-heavy kitchen sink presets, and moves us further away from hitting the limits of the III.

Plus, if you check used prices on FAS gear, it tends to hold value pretty well. If/when the next thing comes out, I'll be able to sell my III to partially fund whatever's next, if I want it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom