Bug? Wah Turns Itself On

Jarick

Experienced
I just received my AX8 last week have found that on patches with a wah block, the wah engages randomly. This has happened several times across several different patches. I don't have any expression pedals plugged in to the unit at all. Any ideas?

EDIT: Can someone move this to the AX8 section? Sorry, clicked on the wrong link.

.Something is sending a signal to your AX8 to activate the Autoengage on the Wah. Turn off Autoengage,

Thanks. Turning off auto engage fixes it but I wonder if it isn't a bug. The wah block does not appear to be engaged in axe edit but once I engage it then disengage the sound goes back to normal.

The editor won't reflect changes from auto-engage but the hardware layout screen should.

If you're not using a certain pedal input it's best to unassign it from any Ext Ctrl. A slight change in the port value reading can occur and make blocks engage. Alternatively you could remove the wah block or modifier.

If you're not using a certain pedal input it's best to unassign it from any Ext Ctrl. A slight change in the port value reading can occur and make blocks engage. Alternatively you could remove the wah block or modifier.
Or just don't assign any modifiers you're not actually going to use. :)

Do you know if I can do a global bypass of the auto engage? This would be useful for playing around with all the presets.

I'd contact FAS service to get your unit replaced. If no pedal is connected to the external port then the TRS socket should ground the port to make sure it always delivers a value close to zero. With an auto engage safety margin of about 5% this should work perfectly assuming you have calibrated the pedal and not trigger the auto engage w/o a pedal connected.

I'd contact FAS service to get your unit replaced. If no pedal is connected to the external port then the TRS socket should ground the port to make sure it always delivers a value close to zero.

It sounds like it's the same as the Axe-FX, which reads unused pedal ports as 100%.

It sounds like it's the same as the Axe-FX, which reads unused pedal ports as 100%.
On the Axe Fx there is a setting for "initial controller value" for external controllers which can be set to 0% or 100%. This value is used when no controller is actually connected (and I believe is used initially before the pedal value is read on startup). I'm sure you know this already @Bakerman... Not sure if this exists on AX8 but I would guess it does. Others may not be aware of this setting. It's great for auto engaged effects when you might not always have a pedal connected.

On the Axe Fx there is a setting for "initial controller value" for external controllers which can be set to 0% or 100%. This value is used when no controller is actually connected (and I believe is used initially before the pedal value is read on startup).

Init. value doesn't really help in this case. The onboard pedal ports take over with 100% value if unused, regardless of init. value.

The only sure fixes are setting the Ext Ctrl to "none" or removing the block/modifier/auto-engage.

Init. value doesn't really help in this case. The onboard pedal ports take over with 100% value if unused, regardless of init. value.

The only sure fixes are setting the Ext Ctrl to "none" or removing the block/modifier/auto-engage.
Dang... Is that a difference between the AX8 and Axe Fx? I've been using my Axe Fx with a midi controller since day 1, so maybe I am just not aware.

Back
Top Bottom