Wah Settings

Jalevinemd

Inspired
I just got a Mission Sp-1 to replace my EP-1. I want to engage the wah with a toe switch like on a traditional Cry baby. I have the current EP-1 set to auto-engage for the wah. I can't seem to figure out how to turn off auto-engage and set the wah to turn on and off with the toe switch. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm sure this has been covered before but I'm having trouble finding the right posts.

I'm not clear if this is done by editing the wah block itself or whether it's done from the controller menu. I can't remember how I set up the auto engage in the first place. Such an idiot!

Thanks. :encouragement:

Last edited:
I do not have a FX8 so this may not work but with the axe fx you have to connect a second cable from the switch port on the sp-1 to the axe fx or mfc ( I do not know if the fx8 has switch ports) in the axe you have to program that switch to a modifier to control the bypass state of the effect block, or to turn the mix level up or down. with the axe fx you can program this modifier to bypass the wah block and un bypass a volume block(and visa versa) to make the sp-1 double duty.
in the axe fx the auto engage is controlled on the modifier page. it is adjustable for position, speed, or off.

Okay...so I figured out how to turn off the auto-engage. I figured once I did that, the wah would default to turning on and off with the toe switch. This, unfortunately, is not the case. How do you assign the on/off function to the toe switch?

Okay...so I figured out how to turn off the auto-engage. I figured once I did that, the wah would default to turning on and off with the toe switch. This, unfortunately, is not the case. How do you assign the on/off function to the toe switch?

is your switch plugged in to the FX8 with its own TRS cable? if so, the switch is just like any other - it needs to be told what to do.

are you ONLY ever going to use this switch to turn on/off the Wah block?

Chris,

Yes...only to turn the wah on and off. It's plugged into the FX8 with its own TRS.

I figured it has to be told what to do. I just can't find that particular place in all the different menus.

Last edited:
ok, go find the bypass mode control (it's on the second page of the Wah edit mode), enter and you select your switch (extrnal2) as the source.
that's it... (don't forget to save...)
You can do the same (but the other way round) with a volume block so you make your pedal double duty (cfr. Paranoid)

That doesn't do the trick. I still can't get it to engage and disengage with the footswitch.

It defaults to auto engage even if I have that disabled in the control menu. Has anyone successfully set up a wah with a footswitch to turn the wah on and off?

Last edited:
Paranoid is correct. according to a video that I started watching on connecting the Mission SP-1 to an AXE-FX, you need to utilize two separate pedal inputs on the unit in order to use the footswitch on the expression pedal. Since I've got a volume pedal connected to the FX8 already, I only have one pedal input left. So, unless there is another way, it seems I will not be able to use a separate volume pedal and the SP-1. I'm open to any and all suggestions from anyone who has done this.

Here's the link to the video. I'm going to watch the entire thing to see if he talks about the SP-1 pulling double duty as a wah and volume pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVTDJGCmFdM

Since I've got a volume pedal connected to the FX8 already, I only have one pedal input left.

hmm, so all this time you had another pedal plugged in? that's what i was trying to clarify with this question:

is your switch plugged in to the FX8 with its own TRS cable?

to which you answered:

It's plugged into the FX8 with its own TRS.

i'm guessing at this point, you never had 2 TRS cables coming out of the SP-1, just one connected to Out 1, which is the Pedal and nothing at Out 2, which is the Switch (what i asked about).

the FX8 could use an SP-1 to do double duty, but you'd need a Volume block in every preset, in addition to the Wah block. you could not use the Global volume methods for double duty.

in that video, i describe how to use the pedal as Volume and Wah, using the Switch to change between them, and the same method should work on the FX8 with a Wah block and Volume block.

Sorry...I misunderstood. I thought you meant was I going to use the SP-1 as anything but a wah pedal. But you are correct, I only had one TRS jack coming out of the SP-1.

I didn't realize that was your video.

So...in summary. If I have a volume pedal hooked up to one pedal jack and a wah hooked up to the second, I cannot use a wah with a toe switch? What if I used a stereo Y TRS, with the two jacks into the SP-1 and the single into the FX8. Would that work? The fact that I even ask this likely reflects how little I know about how these things function.

Last edited:
So...in summary. If I have a volume pedal hooked up to one pedal jack and a wah hooked up to the second, I cannot use a wah with a toe switch? What if I used a stereo Y TRS, with the two jacks into the SP-1 and the single into the FX8. Would that work? The fact that I even ask this likely reflects how little I know about how these things function.

Your Volume pedal needs a pedal port.
Your Wah pedal needs a pedal port.
A switch needs its own pedal port, whether switch is built into a pedal or separate.

That's 3 devices, but only 2 ports on the FX8. They cannot share ports with a Y-cable because you still need to perform 3 separate functions

Chris...thank you for that explanation. I've finally got it. Didn't think of the switch as needing it's own port. :encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom