Wah mystery on one preset,...

bluesmostly

Inspired
Setting up Wah block on a few presets with the new FM9 and on one particular preset, Leon's FM9 Live, the wah won't turn off once it has been engaged. On the AXE edit I can see that the 'wah control' dial is in the turned off position but the 'bypass' light never goes on and it stays engaged. I have set it up exactly the same as on my other presets with the same auto engage parameters. If I change to another preset and come back to this one, the wah will be off, in bypass mode, until I press on the pedal and then it won't turn off on its own in the up position,... :veryconfused:

Be sure your modifier is set to auto-engage if you'd like the pedal to shut off automatically. You'll need to reverse the order of heel down/toe down to 95% start / 5% end respectively for toe down to be the off setting.

It will also depend on if you're using a FAS pedal or something else. If it's a Mission pedal, someone else will need to chime in on the footswitch aspect of the pedal.

Be sure to save your settings before switching to a separate preset, of course.

I'm pretty sure this issue on this preset came up in the last few days. I'm almost certain the auto engage is set for toe-down.

Did you calibrate your expression pedal? If you watch the modifier graph does the "ball" reach the top? What number value does the knob show at toe-down?
pedal is calibrated. the ball goes all the way to the top, off @ 95. toe down @ 10. I have the exact settings with the wah for all the other presets, and they work perfectly. For some reason, in this one preset, the wah won't shut off when in toe up position.

pedal is calibrated. the ball goes all the way to the top, off @ 95. toe down @ 10. I have the exact settings with the wah for all the other presets, and they work perfectly. For some reason, in this one preset, the wah won't shut off when in toe up position.
Try deleting the Wah block and adding it back... I seem to remember something like this happening for somebody else and that was the solution.

Unless there happens to be 2 modifiers assigned in the Wah block?

What pedal jack do you have the pedal plugged into? Try swapping it to PDL 1 if needs be, and swap the modifier setting to reflect the correct pedal jack.
I switched to pedal #3, and it worked. I had to change all my other presets that worked fine on pedal 2, but that's fine. How strange, that one preset just didn't like that pedal jack. Thanks a lot for the coaching!

Last edited:
You're welcome. Apparently, with the FM9, the primary expression pedal jack is designed by default to be PDL 1, and PDL 2 & 3 are secondary, mostly used for subordinate pedals. It is a bug issue that external switches in PDL jacks 2 & 3 still aren't quite on par with what FAS would like (regards toggle vs. hold) but we hope that this will be repaired with the soon-to-be firmware update. And perhaps, if not with this beta, the complete update when it will be available.

You're welcome. Apparently, with the FM9, the primary expression pedal jack is designed by default to be PDL 1, and PDL 2 & 3 are secondary, mostly used for subordinate pedals. It is a bug issue that external switches in PDL jacks 2 & 3 still aren't quite on par with what FAS would like (regards toggle vs. hold) but we hope that this will be repaired with the soon-to-be firmware update. And perhaps, if not with this beta, the complete update when it will be available.
True, but that’s for switches not pedals... And the fix in this case was to use jack #3 ;)

Back
Top Bottom