Wah engaged automatically on presets without even being plugged in [NOT A BUG]

jsl2h

Inspired
I try to just come out and say it in the title when I post these. I notice all the time, I power on my axe fx... scroll to any preset with a wah and magically it's engaged the next time i power on and scroll to a preset containing a wah even if I've disabled the wah and saved the preset. Also, my wah isn't plugged in right now because my TRS cable just broke, so nothing is coming out of "Pedal 1" on the back of the axe fx to my wah which makes this more strange. This has happened on many, many presets and no matter what if I save and move on, the next time I turn on my axe fx it happens again at some point to many presets containing a wah block. Like i said, it goes away if I disable the block and save, but the next time I power on it happens again. Sometimes on the same preset that I saved, and sometimes on a completely different one, as long as it contains a wah block, this "bug" seems to be fair game. Easy to fix but kind of annoying.

I'm assuming you're referring to wahs set for autoengage where pedal at 0% = off. The reason this happens is that the Axe pedal inputs are read as being at 100% when nothing is connected.

This is from memory, hopefully correct: you can avoid this by setting the External Ctrl's init value to 100% and (this part only necessary for position (POS) type auto-engage) enabling PC RST for the modifier, then saving the preset.

Have the same problem. Only happens on factory presets. Even with the Wah bypassed if you move your pedal it will engage. I don't use the Wah block so I shunt or delete it. I think this started the last time the presets were updated. This can make the presets sound like crap if you don't realize what's happening.

Same happens to me ... a lot of time I scroll to a new preset and was is engaged .

i have set all my wah with autoengage and 100% Off ... The pedal is dedicated only for wahs and is set to initial value always at 127 globally ...
I'm not using my axe for live so I never looked to much into this detail but I saw this report and i'm jumping in .

It happens from a looooong time ... months \ year +

Axefx2 MK" and MFC Mk3 here everything up to date

Have the same problem. Only happens on factory presets. Even with the Wah bypassed if you move your pedal it will engage. I don't use the Wah block so I shunt or delete it. I think this started the last time the presets were updated. This can make the presets sound like crap if you don't realize what's happening.
because it's set to auto engage. it will show bypassed but when you move the pedal it AUTOENGAGES.

So Auto Engage is default on all Wha blocks in the presets and will be active even when bypassed. Ok, interesting. Might want to rethink that one IMHO.

So Auto Engage is default on all Wha blocks in the presets and will be active even when bypassed. Ok, interesting. Might want to rethink that one IMHO.
Factory presets that have a Wah block usually have that block set to auto engage, because that's how most people use it. It's way convenient—the Wah unbypasses when you move the wah pedal. The most common reason for moving a wah pedal is that you want to use the wah. :)

If that doesnt work for you, just disable Autoengage.

I use my expression pedal for a number of things other than Wah i.e. Volume, Drive, Reverb etc. Don't use Wah much. Prior to the Preset update around Firmware 18 I don't think this was the behavior. Easy enough to fix but it can lead to weirdness in a preset if you aren't aware of it. Doesn't take much movement to engage the Wah in a bypassed preset. Just saying.....

Factory presets are a starting point. if you aren't using the Wah block, it's best to just replace it with a Shunt so it's not there and not using CPU either. then your pedal is free to do the other functions without worrying about auto-engage as well :)

I use my expression pedal for a number of things other than Wah i.e. Volume, Drive, Reverb etc. Don't use Wah much. Prior to the Preset update around Firmware 18 I don't think this was the behavior. Easy enough to fix but it can lead to weirdness in a preset if you aren't aware of it. Doesn't take much movement to engage the Wah in a bypassed preset. Just saying.....

If you like just make a copy of the presets you like and replace the wah with a shunt, then you have best of both worlds.
Like Chris says a lot of people just use those a a starting point or just a demonstration of some of the things the Axe can do. The real fun is making your own ;)

I do make my own presets. I was just commenting on the original post. I must be in the minority but having Auto Engage as the default setting for all the Wah blocks is not a good idea. It can make for some pretty wonky sounding presets if the expression pedal is engaged accidentally. I have an Axe II with a single expression pedal input so when I preview a preset I should know that I need to change the Wah block, shunt it or delete it. Really?

Wah is one of those effects that most people have on their "real" pedalboards. I like that Fractal included it in so many factory presets and made it so most people with an expression pedal can engage it without having to edit.

Back
Top Bottom