Wah comes on when new scene is selected

Chris6870

I set up a wah block. I set the control modifier to external 1 which an Ernie Ball JR 25k expression pedal is connected to. I set auto engage to medium position. It works fine. Auto engages and shuts off when heel is down. But now without moving the pedal (wah is off, heel down) I switch to a different scene and wah is on (it still shows as off) I need to move the pedal a little and go back to heel down to shut it back off on the new scene. Happens in all scenes.What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like the same problem I had with the TRS splitter cable into my EB VPjr and discovered I was plugging one of the ends into the "Tuner Out" . Taped up the jack so it wouldn't happen again. I chalked it up to trying to hurry & not checking,

When I select a patch that has a wah, and I don't have the pedal attached to the Ax8,it sounds like the wah is activated. Anyway to stop that from happening.

You have the option to auto-engage with toe down or heel down - Try the other option from what you are doing now.

If you save the scene with the wah block engaged, it will always default to that state when you switch to that scene. Auto engage needs CC messages to take effect and those aren't sent until you move the pedal. Preset changes have a default controller value that gets sent when you switch, but scenes do not. If you want the wah to be off by default, make sure all of the scene in your preset have the wah block off before you save it.

The only difference is the AX8 is likely using the expression pedal jack's internal messages instead of external MIDI CC messages. It's the same if you use the rear pedal inputs on the Axe II. Pedal position messages, internal or MIDI CC, are not sent continuously, but rather only when the pedal is moved.

That's true, but in Ax8, you will not be allowed (I believe) to save a wah block as engaged, if there is a modifier that controls its on/off state.

Is it possible to use auto engage for some scenes but not others so you can use the same expression pedal for an alternate effect? It seems like whether the block is bypassed or not it always comes on when the pedal is moved.

That's true, but in Ax8, you will not be allowed (I believe) to save a wah block as engaged, if there is a modifier that controls its on/off state.

This is true if you assign a controller to the Bypass Mode parameter of the block, but auto engage is handled differently since it is assigned to the control parameter, not bypass mode. The saved block state is still the default.

Is it possible to use auto engage for some scenes but not others so you can use the same expression pedal for an alternate effect? It seems like whether the block is bypassed or not it always comes on when the pedal is moved.

No. Controller/modifier assignments are preset wide and will be the same across all scenes. You can however setup a wildcard switch to toggle between certain blocks that are used exclusive of one another, like Wah and Volume.

Back
Top Bottom