Wah always on... sorta. Help!

Hey guys, I have a bit of an issue here.
I set up a preset where in one scene, I use a wah, and in another scene, I use a whammy.
Both scenes use the same pedal.
For some reason, the wah always works when I touch the pedal. Meaning, in Scene 1, where there's no wah or pitch block engaged, if I touch the pedal, I get a wah.
Now that's not the biggest deal ever. I could just not touch the pedal. BUT, when I go to use the whammy, I get both the whammy and the wah, which sounds super weird.
How do I make it so the wah only works when I want it to?
I attached a patch, but to be honest, I'm not sure if it's the most recent one or not. I'm at work so I can double check when I get home!
Thanks!

View attachment THOTKILLER.syx

Auto-Engage is on for the wah if it automatically engages when you use the pedal. it's in the Modifier menu - the screen that pops up when you press Enter on front panel or right click a parameter in Axe-Edit.

you might want to turn that off in the wah block, but then you need some other way to engage that block when you want it.

i'm sure some ideas will pop up in this thread.

When auto engage is assigned then the bypass state doesn't really apply as far as having the block bypassed in one scene and active in the other. So within the whole preset, regardless of the scene, the Wah comes on when you move it....

One way is have a scene dedicated to active Wah with Whammy bypassed, another scene with Wah bypassed and Whammy active, and don't use auto engage that way the bypass state between scenes will rule.

Or use different expression pedals for the two effects...or a pedal that can toggle its output via a switch between two cables, each cable into different Pedal inputs on the AxeFx

Last edited:
Ah, so the auto-engage function will allow the wah to work despite it's block being on or off in a particular scene. I see.
I figured it that might have been a factor here, but I was hoping there'd be another solution.
I'll just set my wah preset to it's own scene, and learn to tap dance a bit faster!
Thanks guys!

Wah is the first block in my main patch so that I have access to it in all scenes (clean, crunch, hi-gain). I have a pitch block in the row directly underneath the wah black. Both of those blocks run to a Volume block and that goes into the rest of my chain. I use the volume block as a pan for the signal and an IA that switches that pan either 100% left or right. My wah and pitch are both tied to the same CC#, so without the IA engaged, it's a wah. With the IA engaged (panned to the right) I get the signal from the pitch and my pedal works the pitch block. Note: The wah block is STILL getting engaged, but you don't hear it because the volume block is only sending 1 path to the amp chain.

I think Bakerman is right here. I'm 99% sure I tried notalemming's idea in the past with no success.

Sidivan, would panning left or right effect my sound if it's running stereo through FOH?

I think Bakerman is right here. I'm 99% sure I tried notalemming's idea in the past with no success.

Sidivan, would panning left or right effect my sound if it's running stereo through FOH?

It's the input, so unless you're running something stereo prior to the pan, it's the same signal. That's why I have it first in my chain, my guitar is mono, but it's going into 2 blocks. Those blocks are acting as a fake "left" and fake "right"; it's the same guitar signal just into 2 different blocks. One of those blocks is then being fed into the rest of your chain after the volume block, so it's identical to sending your guitar signal straight in.

Here's the patch from my last backup (February). I should probably do another!

I do something similar to Sidivan, but with a mixer switching between rows instead of a volume block panning L and R.

If I remember correctly this is how I set it up:

Wah_Whammy_Mixer.jpg

Attachments

• Wah_Whammy_Mixer.jpg
    Wah_Whammy_Mixer.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom