W/D/W: A Tale of Two Rigs

Has anyone tried to use your Analog Tube Amp as your main preamp?
I planning to plug my guitar to the FM9-Drv-Outp3 to the front my tube amp then get the FX Loop send and plug it to Inp3 split the signal; one signal back to the FX loop return of the amp for the dry signal. The second splited signal for my wet effects going through outp 2 to my 2 FR-12
Has anyone tried before?

Has anyone tried to use your Analog Tube Amp as your main preamp?
I planning to plug my guitar to the FM9-Drv-Outp3 to the front my tube amp then get the FX Loop send and plug it to Inp3 split the signal; one signal back to the FX loop return of the amp for the dry signal. The second splited signal for my wet effects going through outp 2 to my 2 FR-12
Has anyone tried before?
I've tried quite a few setups but I don't remember trying that. 🤔

It'll definitely work but you are likely to get some phase issues due to a/d conversions taking place after the amp and cab have already produced the dry signal.

Give it a shot and then maybe try plugging into the FM9 and splitting the signal three ways. Send one to the front of the amp, and the other two through a similar amp model and some stereo effects as desired, then to the FR-12s. If you try it both ways you can see which you prefer.

Well I tried and sounds great so far, The ground loops and the phase issues were my concern but I was able to get around of those problems with some humbuster cable, and a spliter before the tube amp just to use the ground lift switch and polarity changes in case I needed it
So basically is like a 4CM but instead of adding the wet effects on the post FX loop and split the signal from IN3 to OUT1 (FX Return to my amp) and to a CAB- (WET FX on parallel)-OUT2 to my to FR-12.
I just had to revert the Polarity (PHASE) on the OUT2 setting and sounds glorious

Because it worked and kept experimenting with my AMPETE 221
So I created and scene to be able to use my PRS HDRX20 (this one doesn't have an FX LOOP). So what I did is to split the signal at my last DRV block before going out to OUT3 and to the front of the amp. (On in this case my ampete in that way I can switch back and forth between my PRS HDRX20 and Friedman PT20). I took that split signal and added and AMP block to my cab then to continue the already created grid for WET FX on parallel to OUT2.
So when I use my PRS HDRX20 as my DRY signal and the AMP/CAB blocks to my wet signal to my FR12 stereo
When I use the Friedman PT20 as my DRY and get that DRY signal to CAB block (AMP block bypassed and MUTED) to my WET FX in Parallel to my FR12

So pictures for reference. NO noise other just the white noise the amps and my single coil pickups.

Let me know what do you Think
IMG_7492.jpeg

IMG_7493.jpeg

IMG_7494.jpeg

Well I tried and sounds great so far, The ground loops and the phase issues were my concern but I was able to get around of those problems with some humbuster cable, and a spliter before the tube amp just to use the ground lift switch and polarity changes in case I needed it
So basically is like a 4CM but instead of adding the wet effects on the post FX loop and split the signal from IN3 to OUT1 (FX Return to my amp) and to a CAB- (WET FX on parallel)-OUT2 to my to FR-12.
I just had to revert the Polarity (PHASE) on the OUT2 setting and sounds glorious

Because it worked and kept experimenting with my AMPETE 221
So I created and scene to be able to use my PRS HDRX20 (this one doesn't have an FX LOOP). So what I did is to split the signal at my last DRV block before going out to OUT3 and to the front of the amp. (On in this case my ampete in that way I can switch back and forth between my PRS HDRX20 and Friedman PT20). I took that split signal and added and AMP block to my cab then to continue the already created grid for WET FX on parallel to OUT2.
So when I use my PRS HDRX20 as my DRY signal and the AMP/CAB blocks to my wet signal to my FR12 stereo
When I use the Friedman PT20 as my DRY and get that DRY signal to CAB block (AMP block bypassed and MUTED) to my WET FX in Parallel to my FR12

So pictures for reference. NO noise other just the white noise the amps and my single coil pickups.

Let me know what do you Think
View attachment 136271

View attachment 136272

View attachment 136273
Wow That has to sound pretty big! Aside from trying this in the FM what are you gaining from this setup?

I here that! I ran a W/D/W rig years ago 2-212's and a 412 thought it would be really cool! it was until I had to move it... sounded glorious but otherwise a total waste of effort for playing out.
Yeah I don't think I'd want to gig a w/d/w rig just because of the hassle. Although tbh, it would actually only be one extra trip each way between the car and the venue now.

Wait...maybe no extra trips. 🤔 FM9 in its gig bag in one hand, FR-12 in the other hand, guitar in gig bag on my back. Then PXMs in each hand and another guitar gig bag. With two guitars it would probably be two trips anyway.

Yeah I don't think I'd want to gig a w/d/w rig just because of the hassle. Although tbh, it would actually only be one extra trip each way between the car and the venue now.

Wait...maybe no extra trips. 🤔 FM9 in its gig bag in one hand, FR-12 in the other hand, guitar in gig bag on my back. Then PXMs in each hand and another guitar gig bag. With two guitars it would probably be two trips anyway.
It took me 5 trips or so to load in and out all that crap, the 412 and the head, 2 212's, the effects power amp rack, pedal board, guitars! one of the main reason it didn't last very long :rolleyes:. Not going to lie, man did it sound killer!

Your little W/D/W rig you have come up with is perfect for that medium sized gig where you have a fair amount of stage to set up on. I still want to try one of the FR 12's, I have been toying with selling off on of my Pauls to fund that and a Tele that I have been wanting to get for a few years.

It took me 5 trips or so to load in and out all that crap, the 412 and the head, 2 212's, the effects power amp rack, pedal board, guitars! one of the main reason it didn't last very long :rolleyes:. Not going to lie, man did it sound killer!

Your little W/D/W rig you have come up with is perfect for that medium sized gig where you have a fair amount of stage to set up on. I still want to try one of the FR 12's, I have been toying with selling off on of my Pauls to fund that and a Tele that I have been wanting to get for a few years.
Yeah WDW sounds amazing. The cool thing about the FM9 WDW setup is it's sooooo easy to scale back to just one or two speakers instead of three. That's not usually quite so simple.

Back
Top Bottom