VST synths -NI/Omni/Arturia

If you want to rely on presets and don't want to do a lot of deep editing then Arturia Analog Lab is something to consider. It will play presets from their entire collection of modeled instruments, but has limited editing options as compared to purchasing their full instruments. Even at full price ($199) it's a decent value. It includes a variety of presets that cover all of their softsynth and instrument models, including modeled instruments (Rhodes, Clavinet, B3, Acoustic Piano, and others), as well as quite a few modeled synths and Arturia's own Pigments synth. The tones for each instrument are typically good to great. In turns of value and variety, Analog Lab is hard to beat.

And, I just took a look at the Arturia website and Analog Lab is on sale for $69! This is a great deal. A few years ago, I saw it on sale for $49, but at $69 you really can't go wrong. It will also give you an upgrade path if you ever want to upgrade to their bundle of all software. Here's link if you want to read more:

https://www.arturia.com/products/software-instruments/analoglab/overview

Oops, when I logged out of the Arturia website the price reverted to $199. The $69 price must be an upgrade price because I already own a license to the "Arturia V Collection X" bundle. Sorry for the incorrect info. Analog Lab does go on sale. In the last month or so, I saw it on sale for $99.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on one big software purchase and its down to Arturia Collection V and Omnisphere. Keep going back n forth. I think the edge of sound quality goes to Omni but I like Arturia in that it has all the classic keyboard emulations as I'm a big fan of the 80's/90's synths. In time I'll purchase both but for now just have to pick one

I'm a big fan of the 80's/90's synths.

Eric, the founder of Spectrasonics, tells the story how, when he worked as a sound designer for Roland in the '80's, he was sent to Europe to learn about a synth sound, called "Hoover", that was popular, so Roland could incorporate it into their synths. This was before the internet :). So, he gets to Europe, and meets with some musicians and asks them to demonstrate this mysterious Hoover sound that was all the rage. They looked at him strangely, brought out a Juno and played one of the patches that he designed! Roland had sent him out to research how to make a sound and it turns out to be a sound that he had created a couple of years earlier :). So, yeah, '80's and '90's sounds are very well represented in Omnisphere. Thanks for the kind words about the sound quality...there's a lot of my sweat in there.

Eric, the founder of Spectrasonics, tells the story how, when he worked as a sound designer for Roland in the '80's, he was sent to Europe to learn about a synth sound, called "Hoover", that was popular, so Roland could incorporate it into their synths. This was before the internet :). So, he gets to Europe, and meets with some musicians and asks them to demonstrate this mysterious Hoover sound that was all the rage. They looked at him strangely, brought out a Juno and played one of the patches that he designed! Roland had sent him out to research how to make a sound and it turns out to be a sound that he had created a couple of years earlier :). So, yeah, '80's and '90's sounds are very well represented in Omnisphere. Thanks for the kind words about the sound quality...there's a lot of my sweat in there.
That's a great story! currently watching some walk thru's on Omnisphere. I like that you can layer easily ....that's an important feature for me. that may sway me right there

+1 for G-Force. I use a lot of their synths and will pick up the new DMX!

Falcon looks really cool!
I had the DX version when they were new because it was all (more than) I could afford. Think I'll pick this up on the introductory price just to revisit those simpler times, at least in my head.

I'm catching up on this thread, and enjoying the discussion. Small world when Glenn the Fractal/computer expert is one of the major forces in Spectrasonics... Anyway, I own all of the Spectrasonics products and highly recommend. They are very generous with free updates and upgrades (like Fractal), and their sound quality and adventurous programming will keep you exploring for decades.

Keyscape is a no brainer, and Omnisphere is of course the next step, and opens the door to the collaboration of the two. Spectrasonics provides libraries that show the capabilities and creativity, including deep effect programming. Most presets are an education in next step sound sculpture. That's why I like the combination of Keyscape/Omni - Keyscape is pure straight up performance, sounds, and dynamic playability, while omni sends you into the next level.

I also have the Arturia product, which certainly has some great stuff. The B3 organ is a favorite of mine for sure. Yes they have some very good synths, with loads of mainstream programming. Many of them are dry of effects, but when you add effects (theirs or yours), they easily please whatever you are after. If you are playing cover band material, Arturia is a quick engine to find Emerson Lake Palmer synths etc. The thing I dislike about Arturia is they are always renewing their versions, and trying to ding you for another round of investment.

My prediction is you will eventually get: Keyscape, Omnisphere, and an Arturia suite. For me they cover almost everything I can think of. Trillian (amazing bass samples and programs) is awesome too.

I also have the Arturia product, which certainly has some great stuff. The B3 organ is a favorite of mine for sure. Yes they have some very good synths, with loads of mainstream programming. Many of them are dry of effects, but when you add effects (theirs or yours), they easily please whatever you are after. If you are playing cover band material, Arturia is a quick engine to find Emerson Lake Palmer synths etc. The thing I dislike about Arturia is they are always renewing their versions, and trying to ding you for another round of investment.

My prediction is you will eventually get: Keyscape, Omnisphere, and an Arturia suite. For me they cover almost everything I can think of. Trillian (amazing bass samples and programs) is awesome too.
You are correct on all of it. I have Keyscape and its my top Piano VST without a doubt. and Omni is so highly regarded everywhere I look online. Lately I've been diving into 80's covers or inspired like music and decided to buy Arturia Collection V ; as you say its just as easy to grab the actual synth you know was used on xyz artist/song. They also had the option to split your payment which actually tipped me over. If that was available with Omnisphere I likely would have gone that route. I plan to pick it up before the end of the year. Have both! Synth vst's /sample libraries. Man its a deep rabbit hole that I enjoy

Just to say it, these heavy hitters are all great I'm sure, but I have several maybe second tier older VSTIs I like a lot. Not at the computer to make a good list, but there definitely are some cool ones out there.

Just to say it, these heavy hitters are all great I'm sure, but I have several maybe second tier older VSTIs I like a lot. Not at the computer to make a good list, but there definitely are some cool ones out there.
Totally! so many older great VST's out there. options are endless which is fantastic. What I appreciate with Arturia is the GUI is beautiful and easy to naviate around. As much as I love Sonic Project OP-X Pro III...sound quality is undeniable but but...the GUI is a bit clunky.though much improved from version II. I've been watching short documentaries on how the score for Terminator 2 was made. Fairlight CMI III which is included with Arturia Collection V. Loads of fun this morning recreating those sounds. I've been tracking down sound libraries for the CMI as I believe the sample library included with Collection V was based on the CMI II if i'm not mistaken. All good fun.

Ruh Roh all the VST/synth summer sale emails are hitting my inbox. save me!! Spitfire has 50% off any library right now. Boy, I'd love one of their orchestral/string libraries. NI has summer sale on too. If Omnisphere had a good sale I'd jump on that stat!!!

Ruh Roh all the VST/synth summer sale emails are hitting my inbox. save me!! Spitfire has 50% off any library right now. Boy, I'd love one of their orchestral/string libraries. NI has summer sale on too. If Omnisphere had a good sale I'd jump on that stat!!!
@Chewy Do me a favor and shut the heck up ;)

I've been flushing all that stuff, mostly without even opening it. I'm mostly playing guitar these days, happy with my museum piece OG Axe III, and paddling fast as I can away from temptation.

@Chewy Do me a favor and shut the heck up ;)

I've been flushing all that stuff, mostly without even opening it. I'm mostly playing guitar these days, happy with my museum piece OG Axe III, and paddling fast as I can away from temptation.
I hear ya. I've been in synth mode awhile but I just got @WKSmith V2's delivered other day so will be installing these 2 preamp boards in my Fr12's and will be back on Axe train shortly...

Back
Top Bottom