Voodoo Modded JMP-1

I bought a Witchdoctor from Voodoo Amps once. Complete joke of an amp. Had to fight for a refund for what seemed like months. Not a road I would ever go down again.

I don't think many people here are going to know what that sounds like. What specific tone are going for? Most of the "modded Marshall" tones tend to be variations of the Jose mod, and lots of amps in the Axe will do that tone. You could try turning the Saturation on for the JMP-1 model and see if that gets you there.

The only Voodoo modded Marshall I ever heard was terrible BTW; it was as though all the bass and mids had been removed, and it was only ear-piercing treble. Not at all like the forum hype they had.

Reactions: JTI
Take a Plexi 100 and put a Plexi 50 in front of it as added gain stages, but in the 50w turn OFF the power amp portion. Play as you will with levels/EQ, etc. Play with tubes, bias, etc. You too can be Jose! And with the Axe, never worry about the mystical, musical blue smoke!

I can't write anything bad about Trace Davis (owner of Voodoo Amps), we are in a mutual facebook amp tech group.....
He can offer his gold, silver platinum mods - some like it, some not......he works for the best in business, so I guess he does it the way it works for him. ZZ Top used his modded JMP-1s

The most modded section of the JMP-1 is the internal preset TMB tonestack - the master tone circuit is different aka the programmable (1/-15dB) boost and cut controls are based on an active EQ circuit.....

Personally - I don't offer standard mods. Modifications are individual - what works for one player might not work for another. Even if Billy Gibbons is pleased with it, doesn't mean you will too......

With the AxeFx, you can mod your own tone.......but you have to do it for yourself.......

I got this from the Voodoo web site:
v-bullet-sm.gif
Standard Mod™
$795.00
Includes All Circuitry Mods

Description / Specs:

• 1 of the top 2 preamps we mod the most!
  • This Mod is in use by some of the biggest players in the world
  • Ideal for small rigs! Light, portable & perfect for 'fly-in' dates
  • All Modifications are exclusive to Voodoo Amps®
  • Recommended for clean/blues/rock/metal/heavy players – this is a very versatile modification
  • Remove the fuzzy / buzzy characteristics in favor or of gain that is more articulate/defined/clear
  • Clean tones are improved - More airy/chimey/open sounding
  • Increased or added headroom on clean patches
  • Balance out all the frequencies so the preamp is more even sounding as well as responsive
  • Improve the harmonic structure so harmonics leap off from the fretboard with ease
  • Restructure the midrange so it feels more like a tube head
  • We tighten up the bottom end so it's not loose / tubby / woofy
  • EQ section is be more flexible and musical sounding allowing for unlimited tonal possibilities
  • Lower background noise/noise floor
  • You can get more of a cranked tone at lower volumes as well as improved sustain
  • The preamp will be able to cut through the mix a lot better both in a recording studio as well as live
  • We recommend retubing the preamp when the unit is Modded
  • (1) Burned In, Tested / Selected 12AX7JJ ($19.95) - Gain channels
  • (1) Burned In, Tested / Selected 12AX7JJ ($19.95) - Clean channels
  • All features and functions will continue to operate the same.
  • No holes are drilled / unit will look stock on the outside
  • We do not modify the FX-Loop or the switching system
  • Voodoo Add-On™ controls are not available for this model
  • Note - The Power Amp will effect your tone so be sure to use a good quality power amp.

I've never played a voodoo moded JMP 1 but I have a Dr Boost (France) modded JMP 1 done by my friend Gerd Weigel a certified amp tech for Marshall in Montreal. Unfortunately he passed in 2009. The JMP 1 sounds more amp like with tighter drive, less fizz and the EQ is more resonsive. Still sounds great top this day. I'll include a link for the mod.

https://www.guitariste.com/forums/le-coin-du-bricoleur,optimiser-son-jmp-1,203407.html

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?t=19527 go further down the page for the full srticle in french though

Last edited:
My Single Recto is Voodoo Modded.

Now, I loved my single. I compared it to lots of amps in the store in 2000.

I sent it to Trace in like 2004. Standard mod. slanted for EL34s. I loved it more. It's my last standing tube head. Throatier, meatier. The gain is more usable.

I absolutely hate that Trace and Voodoo are a bad word today. The guy treated me like gold.

Back
Top Bottom