Volume swells with effects

jimward9

Hi gang. Struggling searching for this, but it must be here... I've got a mission expression pedal I want to use for volume swells. Separate from just controlling overall output though, I want to be able to fade the gtr input signal out quickly, while the reverb and delay effects can still be heard and fade out on their own much more slowly. Does anyone have any quick pointers where I could find this info? Many thanks for paying it forward...

put a volume block in your layout before the delay and reverb, but after the amp.

my expression pedal video shows this.

Put a volume block before the ambient effects in the grid. If you put it before the amp swells will affect the amp gain. If you put it after the amp swells will not alter the amp's gain/tone.

No need to use a volume block, attach the pedal to the volume on the amp block mixer. Use the dampening parameter to get the desired swell speed.

I like to place compression first on my grids, then volume pedal. Volume changes and swells 'confuse' compressors, and I like to control amp input gain with the pedal and 'lean-in' to the amp for swells.

Hmm. Chris can you comment on the impact of implementing Severed's suggestion to tone, distortion, etc..

Most of us have been placing a volume block after the amp and cab blocks and before the delay and reverb blocks. Thanks

i'm not sure what he means by "amp block mixer."

i use a volume block because it affects a range of 0-100% in volume/level. attaching to any other parameter might not be easy to use, like the Level parameter in the Amp block for example, which has a range of -80dB to +20dB - that's useless to me when i've already balanced the Level for other presets and blocks.

i think most other parameters, you'd have to set damping, change the min/max, maybe the slope etc. when you can just drop in a volume block and be done.

My expression pedal is mapped to CC10 Input Volume. I actually want the "volume pedal" to be as if I moved the volume knob on my guitar to my foot. yes, I understand "tone" is also changing when the guitar's volume is being used, but I want the volume pedal to decrease the input to the amp too, so that as the swell is increasing, the gain is also. Again, just as though I had swelled in with the volume on the guitar.

Think "THE TREES" and "XANADU" From Exit Stage Left.... volume pedal first in the signal chain (before the amps and the effects).

Nice - Rod I've wanted to do this with an additional volume pedal, but I am definitely keeping my current pedal just before the delay and reverb block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm not sure what he means by "amp block mixer."

View attachment 20124

Additionally the same parameter can be found on the "PWR" page, the "DYN" page and the "TREM/MIX" page of the amp block using the front panel.

i use a volume block because it affects a range of 0-100% in volume/level. attaching to any other parameter might not be easy to use, like the Level parameter in the Amp block for example, which has a range of -80dB to +20dB - that's useless to me when i've already balanced the Level for other presets and blocks.

Since you've balanced and set your level, all you need to do is set the maximum parameter to that level, not leave it at the default +20. So If you've adjusted your volume to -12 like I have in the attached picture, then you set the max to -12. This is far from useless, just takes a little understanding how it works to set the range properly.

IMO it's not worth adding a volume block when you already have the control right there. And this control is available on every block, not just the amp block.

i think most other parameters, you'd have to set damping, change the min/max, maybe the slope etc. when you can just drop in a volume block and be done.

If you want it to swell in then you need to adjust it via dampening. Using a volume block does not change this as the control modifier page is the same. If you don't adjust it then it will be real time as fast as you move your expression pedal.
View attachment 20125

Another option would be to also attach the envelop modifier, but that's getting a little advanced for this application.

View attachment 20124

Additionally the same parameter can be found on the "PWR" page, the "DYN" page and the "TREM/MIX" page of the amp block using the front panel.

Since you've balanced and set your level, all you need to do is set the maximum parameter to that level, not leave it at the default +20. So If you've adjusted your volume to -12 like I have in the attached picture, then you set the max to -12. This is far from useless, just takes a little understanding how it works to set the range properly.

IMO it's not worth adding a volume block when you already have the control right there. And this control is available on every block, not just the amp block.

If you want it to swell in then you need to adjust it via dampening. Using a volume block does not change this as the control modifier page is the same. If you don't adjust it then it will be real time as fast as you move your expression pedal.
View attachment 20125

Another option would be to also attach the envelop modifier, but that's getting a little advanced for this application.

I use the pedal to swell, moving it slowly. :) so if I need to move it fast, I can since the damping doesn't force a swell every time.

Back
Top Bottom