Volume Pedals

No they do not work the same - I think here is a way to configure one but as I recall it is a special cable.

For me it was worth getting both Mission SP-1 and EP-1

The Axe and MFC expect values coming in on a linear taper. An expression pedal will output linearly while a volume pedal will almost always output exponential values. You can have you volume pedal pot replaced with a linear pot.

The other option is apparently the purchase of the Easy Expression Pedal Converter cable (run a Google search). But I just bought one, and it does not work. The guy said it may be a bad cable, so we'll see if the new one he sends works.

The Axe and MFC expect values coming in on a linear taper. An expression pedal will output linearly while a volume pedal will almost always output exponential values. You can have you volume pedal pot replaced with a linear pot.

The other option is apparently the purchase of the Easy Expression Pedal Converter cable (run a Google search). But I just bought one, and it does not work. The guy said it may be a bad cable, so we'll see if the new one he sends works.

I've been pretty incredulous about that cable...please let us know what happens with that!

BTW...enjoy your videos!

Do volume pedals work just like expression pedals on the MFC-101?

You can program a controller taper that will work better, but I was never cometely happy until I changed the pots in my Ernie Ball VP Jr. Pedals....LOVE it now!

I use a Ernie Ball volume pedal with my Axe II. You need an insert cable (trs 1/4" on one side, and two ts 1/4" on the other). The TS plugs go to the in and out of the volume pedal, the TRS goes to the expression pedal in on the Axe or MFC (or whatever controller you're using). It does work, and is a cheap route if you already have a pedal ($10 cable vs $120 pedal). The compromise is that, as noted, the taper never seems quite right.

I have been able to correct it somewhat by messing with the controller settings and changing the mid point and slope in the Axe, but it isn't exactly the same. Use one if you have it, and see what you think. You can always buy the other one!

I also mentioned this in another thread about this topic..

I just ordered one of these that supposedly will work with a 250K ernie ball volume pedal (with no pedal modifications)

Easy Expression Converter | dbinstrumentamp.com.

It's under $20 and might be well worth the experiment especially as I already have an ernie ball 250K vol pedal. I'm currently using a mission pedal for input volume but I don't like the amount of travel (from off to on) on it (for volume). I like a pedal with A LOT more travel then those as the missions and have sweep and feel of a wah essentially.

I also mentioned this in another thread about this topic..

I just ordered one of these that supposedly will work with a 250K ernie ball volume pedal (with no pedal modifications)

Easy Expression Converter | dbinstrumentamp.com.

It's under $20 and might be well worth the experiment especially as I already have an ernie ball 250K vol pedal. I'm currently using a mission pedal for input volume but I don't like the amount of travel (from off to on) on it (for volume). I like a pedal with A LOT more travel then those as the missions and have sweep and feel of a wah essentially.

See my above comment^^^

"The other option is apparently the purchase of the Easy Expression Pedal Converter cable (run a Google search). But I just bought one, and it does not work. The guy said it may be a bad cable, so we'll see if the new one he sends works. "

See my above comment^^^

"The other option is apparently the purchase of the Easy Expression Pedal Converter cable (run a Google search). But I just bought one, and it does not work. The guy said it may be a bad cable, so we'll see if the new one he sends works. "

I bought this cable too as I am trying to get a good sweep with my EB Jnr and Ground Control Pro board... doesn't do anything different that any y cable doesn't do. Sucks.

I bought this cable too as I am trying to get a good sweep with my EB Jnr and Ground Control Pro board... doesn't do anything different that any y cable doesn't do. Sucks.

What resistance value is your Ernie ball Jr (250 kohm or 25 kohm?) If somebody has one of these cables and takes a digital multimeter and measures the resistance between all the different connectors we may get a better clue what exactly this cable does/tries to do.

Remember my advice earlier was to just get a real expression pedal or mod the Ernie Ball volume pedals by replacing the pot. If I was a jerk I'd keep just repeating that advice. :)

Darryl

Last edited:
Our guitar player is in love with the visual volume pedal. Knows exactly where the volume will be before making a sound. Has anyone figured out a way to mod this pedal or calibrate the MFC so that they can work together well?
Visual Sound - Guitar Effects Pedals, 1 SPOT Pedalboard Power Supplies, and more...

it is an active volume pedal (e.g. has a buffer) so would not normally work with an MFC or anything else expecting an expression pedal -- but the vendor/manual claims a passive mode for use as an expression pedal. Who knows what value/linearity the pot is. You'll need a standard Y splitter cable. What have you tried? A multimeter will quickly tell you the pot value. Since it uses active electronics it may well have a linear pot inside it (it is essentially being an expression pedal to its own internal electronics), OTOH it might well have an audio taper. A very easy experiment to find all this out.

Darryl

Thanks for your reply, Darryl. It's Audio Taper and I know how it works.

What I was hoping is that someone could explain if it's possible to set a global curve for this pedal that makes it emulate a more linear taper.
Are global volume pedal curves even possible? I've read here that it might only be possible on a "per-preset" basis.

How is that Easy Expression Converter working out for you guys that have tried it?
I'd like to know if anyone has tried it with the Visual Volume control and the MFC...

I don't know if you saw another thread I started yesterday, or today. I simply got an insert cable - a TRS (stereo) on one side that Ys to two mono 1/4" on the other. It works great. I compared it's taper to my Boss FV-500L and it appears and sounds just about the same. I had to switch the mono cable from the Input to the output to get it to behave properly. But I'm happy. I saved $110.

Back
Top Bottom