Volume Pedal, to aux or not to aux?

I use a volume pedal before amp with my lap and pedal steel guitars as well, can't really roll the volume pot with a steel in one hand and picks in the other lol

One interesting thing that I think a lot of people overlook with volume pedals, vs the volume pot, is the tapers aren't always the same, nor is the control you can provide. Rolling my guitar volume pot back just a touch from 10, to say, 9.5, makes a bit tonal difference with my fuzz pedals, but there is no way with my volume pedals I can back it off as easily.

Likewise, the taper of my volume pedals makes for a smooth swell effect, than does rolling up my volume pot. This is one thing I really like about the Axe, since I can choose different tapers such a audio log based, linear etc. Changes the effect a fair bit.

I guess bottom line is that the only "wrong" placement is if someone doesn't understand what they want to get out of it. As long as you know what it does, and you know why your putting it where you are, then your using it "correctly" for your own respective needs

Just because I don't care to use a volume pedal in front of amp or wonder why others do for reasons I have already mentioned is no reason to be sarcastic! I know Gilmore uses a volume pedal... good for him! I don't so what. I have used one in this manor before for quite a while and with all of the problems that came from it it seems that it would be a lot better to use it in for controlling volume in the AX8.

The OP posted a question and I responded with a post take or leave it it's just information.

Per an earler comment, Is it possible to use a single pedal such that its a global volume pedal for all presets but becomes a wah when I hit the switch for a scene or wah block? How do I set that up? Thanks!

Per an earler comment, Is it possible to use a single pedal such that its a global volume pedal for all presets but becomes a wah when I hit the switch for a scene or wah block? How do I set that up? Thanks!

There are many different approaches for this. What approach you take might depend on how you organize and program your presets.

The basic idea would be a volume block with the external pedal assigned as a controller and a Wah block with the same controller. The scene change would disable the volume block and enable the wah block. This result can be achieved differently but that is the basic idea.

The basic idea would be a volume block with the external pedal assigned as a controller and a Wah block with the same controller. The scene change would disable the volume block and enable the wah block. This result can be achieved differently but that is the basic idea.

Makes perfect sense as described. Thanks!

Global means always. You can’t have something as “always except....” So not global, but you can set it as volume or wah in the same preset, per preset.

I would never run it outboard (i.e. a traditional volume pedal running into the AX8's input). First, you're susceptible to whatever signal degradation the physical pedal might introduce; second you're introducing a mechanical point of failure in your rig (if the physical pedal breaks down, you could lose signal to the input).

Running the pedal virtually, within the AX8 solves both problems. Obviously there's no signal degradation, and if the physical pedal (now mapped as an EXP) fails, the AX8 basically ignores it.

Plus, by running it virtually, you get all the routing flexibility, taper customization, and the option to use the physical pedal as a wah or other controller on patches that don't need swells.

The only reason I can think of running it outboard is if you're using a passive pedal and you dig the treble bleed you get when you're running at a low volume.

Cool thing about the ax8 is having the options to run things how you want.
I currently have an EB volume before the ax8 with a polytune in the tuner out and a ev1 exp pedal.
I like being able to mute everything and alter the amount of gain with my foot. I generally have the ev1 as a auto on wah but also change the mod rate in another preset. If I want a volume after the amp gain then I use the ev1 for that so I think all options are covered. I have toyed with getting a second ev1 an having the volume block set in all presets but then I'd have to run the tuner a different way.

Back
Top Bottom