Volume Pedal "Placement"

thembones

I have a dunlop volume x set internally to expression pedal (how i used it with my kemper)
My question is can I put the pedal after drives but before amp?

Yes, you can place it anywhere in the signal path. It will provide different results (i.e. affecting gain and/or only volume) depending on its position relative to drives and the amp. After the drives, but before the amp will change the gain structure provided by the amp and also affect the overall volume.

Besides using a VOL block, Fractal let’s you define a global volume pedal instead that can sit at the start or end of your chain.

The advantage is it’s available always. The disadvantage is you can’t assign it as an expression pedal for some other use, nor can you put it wherever you like in the chain.

For flexibility I recommend using it with a VOL block. If you don’t need a VOL block in a preset, or want to reassign it to be a wah or control other parameters in a scene it’s easily done.

Yes, you can place it anywhere in the signal path. It will provide different results (i.e. affecting gain and/or only volume) depending on its position relative to drives and the amp. After the drives, but before the amp will change the gain structure provided by the amp and also affect the overall volume.
First thank you. Second your profile picture looks familiar are you in the kemper P&W group?

Besides using a VOL block, Fractal let’s you define a global volume pedal instead that can sit at the start or end of your chain.

The advantage is it’s available always. The disadvantage is you can’t assign it as an expression pedal for some other use, nor can you put it wherever you like in the chain.

For flexibility I recommend using it with a VOL block. If you don’t need a VOL block in a preset, or want to reassign it to be a wah or control other parameters in a scene it’s easily done.

looks like @JoKeR III above is saying something similar. Would this just be a volume block the tan looking one? Does it know to use switch 1 (where my pedal is)?

I know I know rtfm I learn better by doing and asking but I will rtfm
Thank you
Think of it this way: Fractal wrote the manuals to give you the information needed to get you up and running and using the gear. When reading through the manuals you'll find other useful information and, when you need to use it you'll know it's in the manual. The fact that they're PDF is nice because you can search the file very quickly and dig up information. (You'll also want to become familiar with the Wiki as it's chock full of user experience and tips from the really smart people.)

Conversely, you can ask a question and maybe get an answer right away, or maybe it'll be days later. Odds are good the people answering will repeat the same information, or, worse, will not understand your question and ask you to explain some point, over and over. That time spent waiting could have been better used "doing" based on what the manual said.

I always recommend reading the manuals a couple times to get the basics; after that I'll know what topics are covered and even if I don't understand them I can go back later. Having the unit in front of you and fiddling with it (doing) works better when the manual is right there too.

We like to help but we like helping more when we know someone has tried to solve the problem, explains what they tried and why it didn't do what they wanted it to, and, if it involves a preset, they included that preset. That gets rid of the Q&A session and lets us get to the heart of the problem more quickly.

I know I know rtfm I learn better by doing and asking but I will rtfm
Thank you
I keep saying it but...Fractal gear is different, there really are no shortcuts, nor is it something you can just figure out without reading the manual. The workflow, structure and terminology is just different. I don't like reading manuals and don't care for RTFM responses either but there's really no getting around the fact that it is required reading if you want to do more with the FM3 than play with factory presets.

You can also assign an external pedal to the output level parameter in many blocks. I usually just do this to the amp block, as it's active in every preset i use (even my acoustic presets use the tube pre). Saves a block if you are running out of space on a preset. (I have when assigning loopers and routing other stuff around.)

Still works with the heel down tuner too ;-)

You can also assign an external pedal to the output level parameter in many blocks. I usually just do this to the amp block, as it's active in every preset i use (even my acoustic presets use the tube pre). Saves a block if you are running out of space on a preset. (I have when assigning loopers and routing other stuff around.)

Good to know. Thank you.

Think of it this way: Fractal wrote the manuals to give you the information needed to get you up and running and using the gear. When reading through the manuals you'll find other useful information and, when you need to use it you'll know it's in the manual. The fact that they're PDF is nice because you can search the file very quickly and dig up information. (You'll also want to become familiar with the Wiki as it's chock full of user experience and tips from the really smart people.)

Conversely, you can ask a question and maybe get an answer right away, or maybe it'll be days later. Odds are good the people answering will repeat the same information, or, worse, will not understand your question and ask you to explain some point, over and over. That time spent waiting could have been better used "doing" based on what the manual said.

I always recommend reading the manuals a couple times to get the basics; after that I'll know what topics are covered and even if I don't understand them I can go back later. Having the unit in front of you and fiddling with it (doing) works better when the manual is right there too.

We like to help but we like helping more when we know someone has tried to solve the problem, explains what they tried and why it didn't do what they wanted it to, and, if it involves a preset, they included that preset. That gets rid of the Q&A session and lets us get to the heart of the problem more quickly.

Understood and as I said I know I should read it I can be a little impatient which is not a good trait. I appreciate your time.

That's a good idea.

I'd probably assign it to the Input Drive or Input Trim of the Amp block since I'd usually assign it to a Volume/Pan block that sits immediately after the compressor for swells and pedal steel type sounds. If I was running a drive block I'd probably keep a separate Volume/Pan in front of it so the volume is always enabled even when the drive is disabled.

... eh, that didn't work for my purposes but I still think it's a good idea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom