Volume pedal as expression question (Mooer Leveline)

sanfordcs

Can anyone tell me if this mini volume pedal can still be used as an expression pedal even though it's powered? The site says it has a 1k Ohm output but I have no clue if that matters. Here is the website for info on it. Maybe someone has it i'm hoping.

Mooer Leveline Volume Pedal
http://www.mooeraudio.com/?new/201512117874.html

Last edited:
No that won't work as an expression pedal as-is. It's mono and an expression pedal uses a dual ganged pot.

Not true. Expression pedals use a standard mono pot. The TRS cable does not correspond to a stereo pot but rather the three lugs of a standard mono pot.

That particular pedal is active and buffered, hence the 9V power supply, very high input impedance, and low output impedance. It will not work with the Axe as an expresssion pedal. Per the manual: "Expression pedals should have a linear resistance taper and max resistance between 10kΩ and 100kΩ, and must be used with Tip-Ring-Sleeve cables." A regular passive volume pedal can work if the pot value is right, but volume pedals will almost certainly have a logarithmic or audio taper. That will bunch up most of the pedals action close to the toe down position. That can be compensated in the Axe to an extent, but linear will give a more even and predictable sweep across the pedal's entire range.

Last edited:
In a pinch, you can wire the three lugs of a wah pedal's pot to a TRS jack and use it as an expression pedal. Most standard wah pots are 100kohm. Not truly a linear taper, but usable. That's basically what Mission expression pedals are, though they have more options and most likely use custom made pots for a true linear response.

If you want a small expression pedal that will work with the Axe, check out this one:

http://eshop.amtelectronics.com/router-footswitch-selector/amt-ex-50-mini-expression-pedal.html

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It's a really tiny pedal which would be great for my purposes. I wonder if I could modify it enough to make it passive and use different pots to make it work. The AMT would be okay too but it's wider than this little guy. The Mooer looks cool too doesn't it? :) Oh well, maybe they'll come out with an expression version.

Hotone Soul Press is another very compact pedal and it has an expression pedal function as well.

If you don't need wah or pedal swells, you can also use a foot roller as well. It's basically just a standard linear taper pot mounted to a small box with a big over-sized knob on it you can roll with your foot. Something like this:

https://reverb.com/item/1036538-volume-expression-pedal-knob-green-free-shipping

Won't get much smaller or cheaper than that. You can also mount the pot sideways and roll the knob with forward and backwards foot swipes as well.

Last edited:
Yeah the AMT or the Soul Press are great choices. I was just trying to find something "skinnier". The AMT and others are wider. The Leveline is really thin at 55mm. The AMT is 62mm. I know that probably doesn't sound like much but it makes quite a difference on my pedalboard real estate. I went ahead and bought the AMT ex-50 for now. It will fit . I'm just trying to get the smallest footprint possible on my board.

I recently got the Hotone Soul Press and I'm setting it up in the exp mode now. I wanted to make it use the wah in auto engage mode, and to turn on the tuner when pressing the switch. Is that possible?

It has one try output...

I got the AMT EX-50 and it's really well made. However, the throw is really short. Way shorter that I expected. I'll still use it and get used to it but now I'm wondering if the Soul Press has a longer, more normal range.

I have both the AMT & the Hotone. I don't use the AMT any more because it's too small & short range - nearly like a switch in live use ! The Soul Press is the best I found as small expr pedal, works perfect with Axe. I removed the rubber cushion on the heel side because it was eating a bit of the controller range, & also unscrewed the wah toe switch to make it non-functional. It was annoying because acted like a bypass (sending no controller value)

Back
Top Bottom