Volume level into power amp

Genome

Inspired
Hi all, many apologies if this question has already been answered but I could only find information on solid-state power amps on the Wiki. I wondered what the best and safest way to gain stage with a tube power amp would be.

I've been having fun recently using my Axe FX into the power section of my Mark V head. I'm thinking of grabbing myself a Mesa 2:90 which is for all intents and purposes the power section from the Mark and using the Axe/2:90 combo live instead of lugging both a head and a rack. Anyway, that's by-the-by.

Should I have the Output knob dimed and the Axe set internally just below clipping - and then control volume with the power amp?

I'm interesting on this as well, currently I just assumed that because the Axe delivers same sound but at different volume that it doesn't really matter how loud it's set, as in:

Axe: 9
Power Amp 2

vs
Power Amp 9
Axe 2

Is the same in terms of how Axe Fx would sound the same, maybe the power amp performs better up high? Let us know....

I have always set the output on the power amp and left it, this becomes your max. The Axe/Preamp's output becomes the volume control @ that point.

For the most part I would recommend doing what's convenient.

My thinking is you would treat it like a head, and the Master control on the power amp would be the same as the Master on your regular head as it's the last in the chain. Otherwise you wouldn't be driving the power section correctly?

This is different for SS vs Tube power amps I would assume.

I'm using a Matrix so it's a bit different, but...

I tweaked between power amp volumes and Axe volumes at live levels, trying to ensure that I had a bit left in case more volume is required. I leave the power amp level there (which ended up being the middle of the range) and adjust the Axe output. For live/performance volume the Axe output is around half.

With the tube amp you'll have to factor in how much you want to push the power section....

I set the GT1500FX-BD's attenuators fully clockwise (i like the power amp to see all of the signal). I then use the global EQ for the output to set the max signal out of the AF2. Then I use the o/p knob on the front of the AF2 to turn things down.

I set the GT1500FX-BD's attenuators fully clockwise (i like the power amp to see all of the signal). I then use the global EQ for the output to set the max signal out of the AF2. Then I use the o/p knob on the front of the AF2 to turn things down.

Is that the same deal with a tube amp? I.e. the power amp is always running at full power and the Level is just attenuating the signal?

With tube amps I would set the Axe fairly high on the output knob and use the master on the amp to control the volume going to the cab. On SS amps I do the opposite and use the volume knob on the Axe to control the total volume.

Tube amps more than SS I think requires your tweaking though for your decision on what sounds better, whether you want the MV low and retain more headroom, or getting the tube amp cranking to get some extra squish and power amp drive. On SS you are completely focused on keeping headroom.

My thinking is you would treat it like a head, and the Master control on the power amp would be the same as the Master on your regular head as it's the last in the chain. Otherwise you wouldn't be driving the power section correctly?

This is different for SS vs Tube power amps I would assume.
If you crank your PA, but play quiet, you don't drive the poweramp into anything.
You are just lowering the signal in.. And getting a lot of noise, probably..

Try to run the PA at 3-4 and do the rest on the Axe..

Back
Top Bottom