Volume & Level Increases, FET Boost make Axe FX Clip out...

Hi,

QUESTION: If I use a clean boost pedal before I go into the axe FX, will I have problems with the Ultra clipping out ?

Meaning, I want to boost the Axe FX volume and tone, but when I change the Master and Level controls on high gain amp blocks it will easily clip out red.

Would a Boost Pedal Work or cause the Ultra to clip out easier.

Thanks,
Joe

Here's a tip for you...

Set your input so it just flickers red occasionally on your hardest hits.

Go to your output mixer, and drop the overall volume for your patches by 4dB - 6dB. That way you have some headroom left when you kick in your boost. That's what I do.

TimmyM

Ok, but would a clean boost just be a waste of time. I mean this...

If i got a clean boost, wouldn't it be the same thing as turning up my volume on the axe Ultra ?

I mean, I don't think a clean boost would help me much, as when engaged, I would have to turn down my Ultra Volume to compensate right ?

So what would a boost do for me anyway ? Just turn up the volume right?

I want it to color my sound. Would it ?

If you're thinking about a clean boost up front, why not just try a filter block before the amp block. Leave it on null and boost the level. This will have the same effect as a clean boost going into the Axefx, but save the money and hassle of an extra pedal. If you want it to color your tone, try any of the axefx drive pedals in front of the amp block. If you're simply looking for a volume boost, put the filter at the end of the chain. But in any of these cases, you have to make sure you're loudest setting is not clipping.

jlagana2002 said:
Ok, but would a clean boost just be a waste of time. I mean this...

If i got a clean boost, wouldn't it be the same thing as turning up my volume on the axe Ultra ?

I mean, I don't think a clean boost would help me much, as when engaged, I would have to turn down my Ultra Volume to compensate right ?

So what would a boost do for me anyway ? Just turn up the volume right?

I want it to color my sound. Would it ?

Probably more color and push the amp model more than a volume boost.
Like it has bee said, try a fet boost drive block or a filter set to null w/ a ~9db level boost in front of the amp for a clean boost that colors your tone.

If you want a volume boost put a filter block set to null w/ ~ a 6boost in level

Back
Top Bottom