Volume Control Stage Volume only

PSea

Experienced
wondering if any of you gigging musicians set up your presets w/ a volume pedal to only control stage volume (no effect on FOH).

If so any pros/cons?

What's the best way to do this? Im guessing Id have to turn off Out2 Copy Out1, add an Out2 Block, branch off somewhere and add the volume pedal to the branch.

Exactly what you wrote. Just set the OUT2 block volume to be controlled by a volume pedal. You don't need a block for that.

thx elvis. never thought to attach a pedal to the output block. do you do this for live performances?

In the high school days of shoddy pedalboards I remember trying to kick on a drive for a solo (into a solid state amp) and I knocked the 1/4" cable loose 😬 needless to say it was an anticlimactic moment. So I'm not partial to what you're going for. Only for swell effects - but I prefer setting my OUT2 volume on the front panel and forgetting about it

Now if you did attach a volume pedal to your OUT2 level, make sure the physical tension on the pedal's treadle is high so if you bump it, it doesn't cause a big jump or fall in volume!

In MIDI/Remote setup under I/O you can set Output 2 Volume to an expression pedal. I used this for a while, but found that I preferred using the OUT2 knob on the front panel.

I suggest to just keep it simple. You can always turn around and use the output knob on the unit. I use a volume block right after the Cab block. Get ll you patches and scenes leveled up. Assign a switch to a Filter block with a boost. From 2 to 6db. You can hit that anytime for a boost. But the trick is to have your levels all set for the gig.

wondering if any of you gigging musicians set up your presets w/ a volume pedal to only control stage volume (no effect on FOH).

If so any pros/cons?

What's the best way to do this? Im guessing Id have to turn off Out2 Copy Out1, add an Out2 Block, branch off somewhere and add the volume pedal to the branch.
What problem are you trying to solve? Is this desired because during certain songs or sections you can't hear yourself? Or is this just in case you happen to select an preset/scene which is not leveled well?

If so any pros/cons?

+1 A little clarification on the reason why you would want to do this. If you are backline monitoring the FOH guy is not going to like very much ;). If you are just trying to hear yourself better I would suggest a different monitor location.

What problem are you trying to solve? Is this desired because during certain songs or sections you can't hear yourself? Or is this just in case you happen to select an preset/scene which is not leveled well?
ability to control stage volume without messing up FOH levels

If so any pros/cons?

Out1 for monitoring and Out2 for FoH is the simplest solution. I also use a volume pedal. In the past I’ve tied this to the Cab output level. When I last rebuilt my patches I put a Volume block after the Cab simply because it’s easier to manage.

The other trick, which is useful to boost your sound without adding mud or harsh top end, is a Filter block set to a mid boost of 3 to 5dB, centred around 750kHz, with a wide Q.

Another trick to create a boost is to cut first. That is, set your normal tone to cut 3-5 dB and the "boost" just removes the cut. This will help you avoid downstream overloads and possible undesirable (digital) clipping.

Back
Top Bottom