Volume compensation between single-coil and humbuckers

Mmh..too high makes a guitar unplayable. For example: I have an old Ibanez 2355 (ES175 type) hollowbody guitar from mid 70s - brillant guitar, very good condition and feel. It features two "Super 70s" Humbucker, awesome tone - but not much output. So I use a little booster to catch up the signal. If I adjust the heights of the PUs, the Pick touches the PUs while playing - which is pretty much annoying.....

I have this problem with my EMG Active-X pickups (Pick touches the PUs while playing - which is only slightly annoying to me). The Steve Lukather middle pickup is supposed to be overwound and hotter than the SA version, but its weaker by far than the 89 and 89R split coil pickups when all three are in single coil mode even when the Luke pick up is almost touching the strings and the 89s are backed off an 1/8 of an inch.

Great PU tone on all three though - incredible cleans with the guitar vol backed off.

Not really having that issue at all with my other HSH config with Suhr pickups all in single coil mode. Nice and balanced. :)

Back
Top Bottom