Vocals + Guitar thru Axe-Fx Ultra?

iohanr

I have a strong hunch that this is possible, I just don't know the right way to hook everything up and program the patches.

I have:
Axe-Fx
Mackie 1202 mixer
ART SLA2 power amp
Atomic FR passive cab

My thinking is to create stereo patches with Left for guitar and Right for Vocals, with separate processing chain for each. Guitar straight into Axe-Fx. Microphone goes into Mackie and then use the Mackie's Aux send/return (or should I use channel insert?) to the Axe-fx for processing. Axe-Fx output goes into Mackie also, then into ART SLA2, then into speakers. Am I somewhat close?

Thanks!

Yes.

Don't have the time to go into detail right now, but you can use the Axe as an insert effect with your mixer - just use input 2 and output 2 and create the signal path with the fx loop and fx send / return blocks. That way it's completely separate from your (stereo?) guitar signal path.

Thats brilliant!

How could I do this without using a mixer? I want to put the Axe-Fx in before I send my mic signal to the board. Is there some kind of DI box with an FX loop? Or is there any problem with converting a balanced signal to unbalanced and then back to balanced?

At my church, we have volunteer sound people and don't have the equipment to EQ, compress, and add delay to vocals. I would like to add these myself in the Axe-Fx before sending them to the board.

The Axe can hang wherever, but you need a preamp for the mic. The mixer obviously has them built in, but you can easily get one for around or under 100 bucks if you don't want to go back-and-forth.

You don't need an fx loop in your preamp for this. The preamp's line level output just feeds the Axe's line ins, and you're in business.

But if you want to send vocals on output 2 to the board, wouldn't you need a DI after that? Thats why I though of a preamp with an FX loop.

I was hoping to be able to do this without adding another rack unit...

guitarman19853 said:
But if you want to send vocals on output 2 to the board, wouldn't you need a DI after that?
Most mixers will have a free line input for your Axe. No need to mess with DI boxes.

Beefcake said:
Yes.

Don't have the time to go into detail right now, but you can use the Axe as an insert effect with your mixer - just use input 2 and output 2 and create the signal path with the fx loop and fx send / return blocks. That way it's completely separate from your (stereo?) guitar signal path.

So... the signal goes like this?

Microphone --> Mackie Channel 1 Input
Channel 1 Insert --> TRS Insert cable splits into two, Send goes to Input 2 on Axe-Fx, Return goes to Output 2 on Axe-Fx.

Now the part that I need to understand clearly is the "create the signal path with the fx loop and fx send/return blocks". I only have a mono guitar signal path. Do I need to loop it out of that path or just create a completely separate path that doesn't even touch the guitar signal? Could I assign Input 1 (guitar) to Left only and Input 2 (mic from mixer) to Right only?

Sorry for the newbie questions...

iohanr said:
So... the signal goes like this?

Microphone --> Mackie Channel 1 Input
Channel 1 Insert --> TRS Insert cable splits into two, Send goes to Input 2 on Axe-Fx, Return goes to Output 2 on Axe-Fx.

Now the part that I need to understand clearly is the "create the signal path with the fx loop and fx send/return blocks". I only have a mono guitar signal path. Do I need to loop it out of that path or just create a completely separate path that doesn't even touch the guitar signal? Could I assign Input 1 (guitar) to Left only and Input 2 (mic from mixer) to Right only?
I suggest using input 2 because AFAIK input 1 L&R share the noise gate, i.e. when you sing, the guitar signal's noise gate opens if they're both input 1. They also share the input volume trim pot, which is not a huge deal, but still.

Now, if you "only" run a mono guitar signal, you can easily use output 1 L&R for both your signals, which simplifies things in the Axe-Fx grid somewhat. Then you only run like this, for example:

row
1---- [FX loop block] --(all your vocal fx)--
2-(all your guitar fx)-------------------------
3------------------------------------------------
4------------------------------------------------

Make sure the fx loop isn't in the first column, i.e. it doesn't touch the "input" on the grid. And on the preset's output mixer tab you can pan the signals from rows 1&2 to L&R, respectively. Now, when you connect your insert cable to which ever side of output 1 you panned the vocals to, you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom