Vocals and guitar through FM3

Chris6870

I'm pretty new to the FM3. Got it up and running and played one gig with my band so far which was great. I also do an acoustic duo where I previously ran my acoustic into an AX8 with compressor, reverb an IR blocks. Then into a mixer, out to powered EV speakers. The vocals ran into the mixer with some onboard compression and reverb from the mixer and out to the speakers.
So on the FM3 I would like to run guitar into input 1 with compression, reverb and IR block, then to output 1. Then vocals into input 2 with compressor and reverb, then to output 2. I would like to have independent volume control over both outputs, basically eliminating my mixer. My Powered speakers have 2 inputs so I could run each output off the FM3 into each input on the speaker and adjust the levels there and at the FM3. Basically I am just using the mixer as a vocal preamp at this point and would like to eliminate it. Does this sound doable with the FM3? TIA.

Tricky as theres only one reverb block in the FM3 - might be possible by using L and R channels separately.

I’ve run a preamp output into the FM3 ok. But I’m upgrading to the FM9 to allow separate guitar and vocals routing.

I do this with an XLR to TRS for the mic going in In2. For a dynamic mic (SM57, SM58) you'll need to apply a good deal of gain. I use a Vol block as the first block to crank the gain, then a compressor with more gain as needed.

You can simulate a reverb using the Plex block or createive use of the Delay block.

I put a compressor after my amp and key it off of the vocal to duck the guitar a bit when singing.

Better use a separate Mic-PreAmp before FM3 In2. FM3 In2 is a line Input. The Gain boost for the Mic should be done at the analog side, not after the A/D converter!
I would do the routing in the FM3 with the Output Mixer:
1: Mic Path
2: Git Path
3: St Reverb
so try to mix in your needed amount of Space from the two dry paths to the reverb block, like you do it in a mixing desk with an aux bus! Use the 4 level row knobs in the output block for the mix. Sadly not at my FM3, maybe its tricky to do the independent input level routing for the two dry blocks in the reverb block!

Great stuff. Thanks. My main concern was running a SM58 straight into the FM3 without some type of mic pre. My mixing board was taking care of that before. I just hate to drag the mixing board , the stand for it plus the extra cabling. Were usually playing really small winery/coffe house type gigs with cramped stage area.

Great stuff. Thanks. My main concern was running a SM58 straight into the FM3 without some type of mic pre. My mixing board was taking care of that before. I just hate to drag the mixing board , the stand for it plus the extra cabling. Were usually playing really small winery/coffe house type gigs with cramped stage area.
The FM3 has plenty of gain to use a dynamic mic. Try it out. I find it to be quite clean.

I had a couple of these laying around and never tried them, until now.

Shure A85F Transformer; Low Z,... Amazon product ASIN B0006NMUHW
They work like a charm and step up the input 24dB - so much I got rid of a whole block that was just gain.

My only gripe is that a mic cable + A85F sticking out the back is a lot of strain on the input jack. I'd recommend a FTM 1/4 cable to extend it to a nicer connection.

You may also want to try a passive DI box in reverse. Some say that works too.

The FM3 has plenty of gain to use a dynamic mic. Try it out. I find it to be quite clean.

Exactly. Theoretically it would be ideal to use an outboard pre to bring up the level. But I’ve experimented with a dynamic mic straight into the FM3 and there was no noticeable noise through my monitors. It may be 10x the noise of a high quality mic pre, but if it’s not audible so what?

Back
Top Bottom