Vocals and axe fx through same wedges or separate pairs?

Anthony76

Inspired
Hey guys I was wondering what you do. I want to run stereo frfr and have two wedges for my stage monitors with vox, ac gtr, keys. Do you run separate wedges for stage/vocal monitors and your axe frfr? Or all through the same ones?

Cheers
Ant

Hey guys I was wondering what you do. I want to run stereo frfr and have two wedges for my stage monitors with vox, ac gtr, keys. Do you run separate wedges for stage/vocal monitors and your axe frfr? Or all through the same ones?

Cheers
Ant

I've done shows both ways.

I much prefer a dedicated guitar wedge; even when I'm singing I like the vox to be a separate wedge if possible.

Depending on the gear and venue, vocal wedges can be hammered pretty heavy with EQ to ring them out for more gain before feedback. That can really wreck pretty much anything else in the wedges; including guitar.

Sometimes it can't be avoided; everything in the same wedges. One show we put all the vocals in the center wedge with the lead vox being loudest and used two other wedges L / R for the instruments. It was a small stage so we relied on spill from all the wedges. Worked pretty good under those circumstances.

I run my Axe and vocals through my frfr speaker. I have an Ashly LX-308 mixer in my rack that gets a vocal, band mix from the FOH mixer and also gets the B output from my AxeFx. This way my FOH level( AxeFx XLR out) doesn't get touched and I can mix the vocals and my guitar independently from FOH.

I've done this all different ways with my two Atomic CLRs.

My favorite setup is a vocal wedge in front and two CLRs behind me on the sides with just guitar for a stereo field.

Another nice way is one CLR behind with just guitar and one in front with a very small amount of guitar and a strong vocal signal.

A lot of times I just use a single monitor in front of me with everything in it. This is not as satisfying as having a dedicated guitar speaker behind me though, but the load in/out and setup is easier and carpooling is easier.

I've also put CLRs behind and to the sides and used that as a PA system / monitor system with guitar and vocals cranked up. Got to be careful with feedback.

As you can see, CLRs are very versatile and they have worked very well for me in all of these configurations. There is no one way to do this.

Back
Top Bottom