Virtual Capo

dschaaf

Experienced
I am finding that I cannot get the virtual capo to function in a useable way. I am on an original Axe FX III running FW 21.02beta. I have created a new patch simply using Input->Pitch->Drive->Amp->Cab->Reverb->Out (probably 40% CPU max). I have the pitch as the 1st block after the input, set to -1 shift, detector source tried both block in and input 1, tracking at default (tried both up and down) but I am getting what seems t be 50ms 75ms lag (I am just guessing at these numbers but it is VERY noticeable) which makes playing with it unusable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Derek

There's a known problem where, if you save a preset with the pitch shift set to zero, you'll get crazy high latency after a reboot. Could that explain what you're seeing? Under normal circumstances you shouldn't see a latency of more than 5-15 ms, depending on your settings.

Hmmmm, thanks Glenn. Oddly enough I think I had rebooted and had the shift set back to zero to test and try to pin down the issue. Maybe that was part of what I was experiencing. Thanks Derek

There's a known problem where, if you save a preset with the pitch shift set to zero, you'll get crazy high latency after a reboot. Could that explain what you're seeing? Under normal circumstances you shouldn't see a latency of more than 5-15 ms, depending on your settings.
How do you correct this?

How do you correct this?
You can try to work around it. After you boot up with a preset where the shift is zero, you can change it to a non-zero value, then set it back to zero. Bit of a pain, but after that it's ok. Alternatively, you can try to adjust your workflow so you don't have to save the preset with the shift set to zero. With virtual capo that's often doable, but with some of the other pitch shift block types, that might not be convenient, especially if you're doing remote control of the shift. Another work around is to bypass the pitch block initially, then use auto-engage when you need it.

Pitch shifter set to 0 causes lag, that is known issue, I am using VC as the first block, just bypass it if I do not use it. I have in a preset another pitch shift block working as whammy down/octaver, in case of octaves it was easy but for whammy I had to do the trick with auto engage based on pedal movement (on with 5%, 5% offset and 1.058 scale) to avoid "jump" an starting of the effect.

I am using it for years to drop my bass tuning -2 as I did not wanted to always carry another bass with alternative tuning. It has small lag, but barely noticeable. Recently I have purchased Digitech Drop stomp which seems to be better than Axe (lag is basically not noticeable) I am using for my "lightweight" pedalboard based on Boss GX-100. As soon as I will have more time I will test Digtech in a loop of Axe for direct comparison with VC.

Not sure if the problem I am experiencing is the same as @dschaaf , but right after updating my Axe-fx III to the latest firmware, my Virtual Capo had enormous lag and seem to track worse and be more wobbly.

I need to fiddle a bit more with it so I can provide more info, or at least more precise info. Also, I can not guarantee this is due to the latest firmware, maybe It happened before and didn’t notice because It’s been a while since I used Virtual Capo for the last time.

You can try to work around it. After you boot up with a preset where the shift is zero, you can change it to a non-zero value, then set it back to zero. Bit of a pain, but after that it's ok. Alternatively, you can try to adjust your workflow so you don't have to save the preset with the shift set to zero. With virtual capo that's often doable, but with some of the other pitch shift block types, that might not be convenient, especially if you're doing remote control of the shift. Another work around is to bypass the pitch block initially, then use auto-engage when you need it.
Is this a reported @Bug already?

Last edited:
After spending some time testing my Axe-Fx III, this descibes exactly what I experienced. Never noticed before due to I use auto-engage for most of my whammys, and never store a Virtual Capo preset with 0 pitch, but other values.

Not sure if the problem I am experiencing is the same as @dschaaf , but right after updating my Axe-fx III to the latest firmware, my Virtual Capo had enormous lag and seem to track worse and be more wobbly.

I need to fiddle a bit more with it so I can provide more info, or at least more precise info. Also, I can not guarantee this is due to the latest firmware, maybe It happened before and didn’t notice because It’s been a while since I used Virtual Capo for the last time.
I've definitely noticed a difference since upgrading to the latest beta just now. Also seems to be lagging more than ever and tracking worse.

I've definitely noticed a difference since upgrading to the latest beta just now. Also seems to be lagging more than ever and tracking worse.
Maybe your case is the same as mine, It was perfectly described by this:
I am finding that I cannot get the virtual capo to function in a useable way. I am on an original Axe FX III running FW 21.02beta. I have created a new patch simply using Input->Pitch->Drive->Amp->Cab->Reverb->Out (probably 40% CPU max). I have the pitch as the 1st block after the input, set to -1 shift, detector source tried both block in and input 1, tracking at default (tried both up and down) but I am getting what seems t be 50ms 75ms lag (I am just guessing at these numbers but it is VERY noticeable) which makes playing with it unusable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Derek

Mines not as bad as 50ms, but the tracking definitely seems worse to me than it was in 21.01
Sorry, I quoted the wrong message, I meant this:

That "fixed" my problem.

The slightly odd but interesting observation....
I have an FM3 connected to an FM9 (via SpDIF) and really just using the FM3 for comp, pitch(capo) and some drive. Letting the FM9 handle all the amp, cab, delays, verbs etc. What is very odd it that using the pitch block in the FM3 at say -3 semitones "seems" to be vastly superior to the results I am getting from the exact same pitch block in the FM9 (also to note the FM9 is nowhere near cpu max...50s'ish maybe). When using the same pitch block settings in th FM9...for the same preset....the capo is laggy, but not consistently laggy. The latency seems to vary from close to far off and I am not sue why?

Thanks,
D

Last edited:
The slightly odd but interesting observation....
I have an FM3 connected to an FM9 (via SpDIF) and really just using the FM3 for comp, pitch(capo) and some drive. Letting the FM9 handle all the amp, cab, delays, verbs etc. What is very odd it that using the pitch block in the FM3 at say -3 semitones "seems" to be vastly superior to the results I am getting from the exact same pitch block in the FM9 (also to note the FM9 is nowhere near cpu max...50s'ish maybe). When using the same pitch block settings in th FM9...for the same preset....the capo is laggy, but not consistently laggy. The latency seems to vary from close to far off and I am not sue why?

Thanks,
D

Hmm, interesting report.. definitely weird. But cool that you are using the FM3 in a very creative way!!

Back
Top Bottom