Video Tutorial on post-processing of Axe FX recordings

I am interested in a video tutorial on post-processing of Axe FX recordings...

• Total voters

lj045637

Inspired
Dear all,

Everytime I watch a video or listen to a recording of an Axe FX recording, I am impressed about the recording quality and dynamics of such recordings.

Wouldn't it be awesome if some expert in this forum reveals his secrets in a video tutorial on how he records and improves his Axe FX sound in his DAW.

From my perspective it would be really helpful and I would be very thankful for such tutorial.

I have found a lot of tutorials in youtube on how recording, mixing guitars etc. but NONE of these tutorials were specifically done with the Axe FX.

So what do you think about this wish/request etc.?

What kind of question is that? Do you really need a poll?

I´m gonna say "no" just for that...:D:D

Best regards to everyone.:p

i'm pretty sure many just record the axe output and that's it. maybe slight EQ to fit in the mix better once all tracks are in.

There are a few Groove3 tutorials out there already which feature the Axe Fx for guitars and bass. One in particular is Brock's Modern Heavy Rock Production.

i'm pretty sure many just record the axe output and that's it. maybe slight EQ to fit in the mix better once all tracks are in.

Just for capturing the sound of the Axe, this is it. If you are setting all your effects in AxeFx, anything else you do on the DAW side shows what you need to fix in your AxeFx patch. I can see using a DAW reverb that is easier to tweak with a GUI that shows room shape and mic position... but then you are getting into computer-based effects and deciding whether to use those instead of or in addition to those in AxeFx, and making it more complex to achieve the same thing in a live sound. My ears really like the use of multi-band compression on the output/mastering stage... it makes everything pop out at you more. That's why I like to use MBC as the last element in my AxeFx signal chain, to give a live effect similar to what I enjoyed from the recording projects I did.

If you are talking general mixing and mastering issues for multiple instruments and vocals, that's a bigger can of worms:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun98/articles/20tips.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb99/articles/20tips.478.htm

Also, if you have an old underpowered PC laptop laying around, you might be able to use it for a decent home recording workstation. If you are computer savvy, you can pick your favorite linux variant and load on the packages for the tools you want. Or you can get a linux distribution which is pre-installed with the main stuff you'll need.

I was very happy using the following open source recording software:
- ffado (for Firewire interface to PreSonus Firebox)
- jack (general audio mixing environment that various applications tie into)
- ardour (the main "DAW" component - multi-channel audio tracking, automation curves, effects plugins, group busses, etc.)
- JAMin (mastering - this is the part with the multi-band compressor)

Last edited:
I asked Mark Day some couple of days ago what kind of Axe FX post-processing he is doing in his videos and this is what he answered:

Quote: "As with all my videos for the last 8 years, I use a Waves C4, LL3 Ultra. I also slightly delay one side of the guitar for some extra spread. This is done in post."

Why would there be Axe FX-specific techniques? Genre, your overall mix, the type of amps and cabs you use, clean tone vs high gain, whether your tone is lead or rhythm - all those things require different approaches, different even if you use Axe FX for all of them. The whole point of this device is that it can produce a wide variety of sounds, for a wide variety of applications. This means, by default, that processing will be different.

Mark Day makes product demos, where the purpose is to make Axe FX sound good by itself, without regard to the rest of the mix. Is this what you need?

here's a short clip from a recent session. no post processing, just a double-track of the main riff. i will EQ it after all tracks are done so everything fits better together. probably drop 250hz or so in the guitars.

I wish Pete Thorn would do one. No matter what gear he reviews, his mixes are always superb!
He has mentioned a few things he uses on his weekly Q&A show.
I'd like to see the screens in real time and watch how he does it.

Mark Day is another fantastic example.

Some mixes may require very little post processing, while others might require something more advanced. It's all about fitting the guitars in a mix properly. Guitars, like other instruments, need their own space, so post EQ is almost always a necessity, and panning can be important. It all depends on the mix, though.. One size doesn't fit all, but there are some basic mixing conventions that can be useful.

I wish Pete Thorn would do one. No matter what gear he reviews, his mixes are always superb!
He has mentioned a few things he uses on his weekly Q&A show.
I'd like to see the screens in real time and watch how he does it.

Mark Day is another fantastic example.

True !!! Would be really great !!!

I think Cooper Carter would be a good choice also. He plays many different guitars and many different styles---from Clean to Gain.
Nothing against Mark, I have learned a great deal from Mark and he is a great player. Maybe they can do it together-like a web collaboration

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom