VIDEO: Tone-Matched Electric (NO PIEZO) To Acoustic - Demonstration

Sean Ashe

Power User
Hey everyone, i just started fooling with tone matching today and thought "hmm itd be funny to see if it even resembles an acoustic" and i tried it and it worked VERY well. Exceeded my expectations! I took a recording of an acoustic that i REALLLY liked the sound of, and then put that through as my reference, and then just strummed a few chords DI into the axe...pressed match and boom!

I would offer the patch but as it will be different with any guitar, i dont want to put it out there and then get criticized for saying it sounds nothing like it. If anyone's interested though, I can put up the clip of the acoustic that I used so you can run it through yourself, and then the patch so you could run it through yourself! Let me know :)

PS when tone matching first came out i was VERY hesitant as I hate when people just try to copy their idols tones, but after thinking about its uses for cover bands or for cool applications like this, im diggin it! Thumbs up Fractal Audio! :)

interesting vid. I tried a tone match on a harmonica and the TMB didn't change anything at all. The reference is KEY to getting a good sound.

Wow, that sounds pretty good.
Is the patch made with an amp or cab. Would you mind explaining your process?
Thanks in advance and nice find.

That really surprised me. If you could post that reference acoustic It'd be much appreciated.

Wow guys thanks for the feedback I'm glad you like it! Well basically I just opened up (i did this on the axe fx, not in axe edit as axe edit has had some issues with TMA), a blank patch, put the TMA block, and then a vol/pan block (as the DI signal was very quiet compared to most patches) then i think a chorus with a mix of like 1%, reverb, enhancer, delay. No amp, no cab. But for the tone matching I just played an acoustic clip I had that I LOVED the sound of the acoustic, from one of my old bands ( a rock/pop band) cd, so i opened up protools, solo'd the track, and used it as the reference. Then i played the same thing (it was just strumming, but whatever you play on the local channel WILL change the tone) and then pressed match. At first i used the bridge pickup which i didn't like, and then i did the neck which was okay but a little hollow, then i tried the middle switch and it was great. These pickups are stock however, because my main guitar I left in Texas on sunday ( i live in indiana) because of some airport nonsense, so I'll have my main guitar back in about 2 weeks when my buddy moves back up here from school. I'm sure if you guys have some good guitars, it will sound even better!

Here is the acoustic reference track:
Acoustic for Fractal Forum by Sean Ashe on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Hey Sean, good to see you here again and thanks for the video. Great job with that acoustic sound coming from those mag pickups, impressive to say the least.

It's really amazing the range of tones that you can get with an Axe, especially now with V6 and Tone Match.

Hey Sean, good to see you here again and thanks for the video. Great job with that acoustic sound coming from those mag pickups, impressive to say the least.

It's really amazing the range of tones that you can get with an Axe, especially now with V6 and Tone Match.

Hey man! it's glad to be back, i took a bit of a video hiatus but am coming back full force with at least a video per week (this one doesnt count as this was originally only supposed to be a facebook upload haha) and yea, the stock Sterling By Musicman pickups are a little muddy too, so id be interested to hear everyone elses results! I think tomorrow I'm goin to try matching, to a DI acoustic guitar, and THEN using one of the fishman aura impulses, because its probably enough for the tone match to match guitar, let alone the guitar body you know? And since currently it's taking a DI electric and turning it into a micd acoustic, i think i might be able to get better solutions with doing smaller things. I dont know i am TOTALLY new to this kind of stuff and only tonematched limelight (cliche but was so fun to jam with rush haha).

The possibilities this opens up are pretty huge, I'd be interested if Fractal is actually going to release a profiling block as well, for the amp block, but if not then this is still cool! The only thing i notice, is that volume rolloff REALLY changes the tone so I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. All I know is that when i play my gig tuesday im going to break out my acoustic patch and let people be amazing! #FractalSwag

Also with the soundcloud link, you guys can play straight from that to the Axe FX via USB, or you could download it as well and put it into whatever DAW you use, it's up to you :)

Really nice. Thanks for sharing. Looks like it could open up a new guitar tone matching era, like matching the tone of a Humbucker guitar playing on a single coil.

Really nice. Thanks for sharing. Looks like it could open up a new guitar tone matching era, like matching the tone of a Humbucker guitar playing on a single coil.

Well, tomorrow I'm going to try matching my dad's 1969 Les Paul Deluxe (on all 3 pickup positions as separate tone matches), to a few of my guitars. Because for recording that would be AMAZING! I like the idea of tone matching amps, that's cool, BUT i already have a ton of amps in the Axe FX that i can bring up. But tone matching guitars...now that sounds interesting to me.

Just to make sure, what is "DI signal"? Direct In?

Yes sorry forgot to say something about that. Like how some acoustics have the 1/4 cable out, its never as good as the actual mic'd sound, but itd be a closer match from electric guitar to that, and THEN the fishman impulses.

remember, for matching a guitar, use a DI signal, and the TM block goes before the amp.

Sorry I just saw this, yea I know, the only problem would be you'd have to do a tonematch per pickup selection, but it still means really cool possibilities!

Nice job Sean!

I did the exact same thing yesterday. Took an acoustic of mine that I really liked....used it as a reference, and then tone matched using my Warrior Electric with humbuckers.

Does it sound like my the reference acoustic?.....eh, kind of.
Does it sound like an electric guitar with a piezo?....absolutely.
Is it usable for cover gigs, where I just need an acoustic tone for one or two songs....sure is!

Going to do it again with a fresh set of strings on the Acoustic, just to see if I can get it even better.

holy mother of god...when i clicked the video i was expecting some ok sound but this is AWESOME!!!

any chance of a simple tutorial video!? :)

Back
Top Bottom