Video Recording in a Club to Get Good Sound

Wouldn't it solve a lot of problems if you could just flip a switch and/or plug in a jack and have your AXE FX2 record the sound of your live show while your video person shot the footage. Then later you could sync the 2 and have pretty much studio quality sound of your live shows. The sound I like is gritty and raw with an edge and I get that live when I use an Orange Rockerverb sim run through an Orange cab. I know I can bring another Macbook Pro and record the sound then syn it later or I can buy a pro video camera. But I don't have the dough for either of those options. I need an inexpensive option or in other words I need a Porsche but can only afford a bicycle. I've included a link from a recent show so you will understand what kind of sound I want to capture. There must be a cheap way to do this. After all its 2012. Any ideas?

Somebody That I Used To Know Live (Brennan Dylan Remix) @ Fat Baby NYC - YouTube

No offence - but I do not hear anything worth capturing apart from mush and squeal... But maybe it is the quality of the video camera's microphone.
I do not think you would need another computer, just an additional sound card which enables you to capture what you play via USB from the Axe and plays back your supporting track simultaneously.

No I'm not offended. I've been covered by Guitar World, NME and a CBS Radio that aired to 25-30 million listeners. Your opinion of my ability is very odd. You must hate Uli Jon Roth and Joe Stump as well. Are you a school teacher? Thank you for your recording idea though........you are very good with technology.

Sounds like you got "offended" to me, because your reply sounds very "defensive". I didn't get from his post that he was knocking your playing ability, just that the sound you captured wasn't so great.

As far as you "being covered by Guitar World, etc." remember the Black Eyed Peas did the Super Bowl, but that didn't appear to make them good.

I thought your playing was great in the video myself, but the sound captured by your camera wasn't the best.

I don't really know if the OP was talking about your playing or the sound, I just got that the OP was referring to the sound, but that's just how it read to me. It's not always easy to capture someone's real intentions reading words on a computer screen, unless they just come out and say "Your playing sucks dude" or "Dude, you played great, but that sounded like shit." etc.

No I'm not offended. I've been covered by Guitar World, NME and a CBS Radio that aired to 25-30 million listeners. Your opinion of my ability is very odd. You must hate Uli Jon Roth and Joe Stump as well. Are you a school teacher? Thank you for your recording idea though........you are very good with technology.

Would the Zoom q3hd answer the question for you.
It will record hi def video ( 1080p ) and accepts a seperate line in for audio recording, ( or if you dont want to run a long xlr to where your camera guy is standing just use the pretty good onboard mikes ).

Zoom Q3HD | Sweetwater.com

Its still a $300 dollar solution but may be more convenient than recording to reaper or something similar and having to sync in post.

Hope this helps.
Best regards
Matt

Wouldn't it solve a lot of problems if you could just flip a switch and/or plug in a jack and have your AXE FX2 record the sound of your live show while your video person shot the footage.
Yup, it should definitely have a recording device in it. Better yet it should have a 32 input multitrack recorder built in. As well as drum machine, keyboard/synth sounds, live mixing console (at least 64 channels) and I should be able to check in to Facebook and Google+.

Heck I paid $2500 for it and all I got was a guitar processor. I can buy one of those for $100 from another brand so the Axe is obviously missing things.

BTW I'm totally joking; nobody uses Google+.

Yo Brennan... totally respecting what you're doing...!!! and I mean that alot. Keep pushing the boundaries man. I'm diggin' the vibe. Totally different and original.

Sounds like you got "offended" to me, because your reply sounds very "defensive". I didn't get from his post that he was knocking your playing ability, just that the sound you captured wasn't so great.

I meant the captured sound of course. I would never ever knocking anyones playing abilities (BTW the video does not even make your playing abilities heard due to the bad sound). Very likely your sound IS better and the video just does not do it justice. So again - no offence intended.

As far as you "being covered by Guitar World, etc." remember the Black Eyed Peas did the Super Bowl, but that didn't appear to make them good.

I thought your playing was great in the video myself, but the sound captured by your camera wasn't the best.

I don't really know if the OP was talking about your playing or the sound, I just got that the OP was referring to the sound, but that's just how it read to me. It's not always easy to capture someone's real intentions reading words on a computer screen, unless they just come out and say "Your playing sucks dude" or "Dude, you played great, but that sounded like shit." etc.

Thank you for your insight. I appreciate. I probably miss read what the writer intended.

Yup, it should definitely have a recording device in it. Better yet it should have a 32 input multitrack recorder built in. As well as drum machine, keyboard/synth sounds, live mixing console (at least 64 channels) and I should be able to check in to Facebook and Google+.

Heck I paid $2500 for it and all I got was a guitar processor. I can buy one of those for $100 from another brand so the Axe is obviously missing things.

BTW I'm totally joking; nobody uses Google+.

What is Google?

I meant the captured sound of course. I would never ever knocking anyones playing abilities (BTW the video does not even make your playing abilities heard due to the bad sound). Very likely your sound IS better and the video just does not do it justice. So again - no offence intended.

Sorry I misread your meaning. Again thank you for your idea, I liked it.

Back
Top Bottom