Video of my friend tracking a guest solo! (AXE FX/Logic9)

grantcooper2

Inspired
My friend Mike MacKenzie tracking a guest guitar solo for my band Nok Novum! Check him out here

Album should be coming soon!

And even though the solo won't change, the mix is still being molded, so any feedback on mix/tones/playing/etc. would still be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: gpz
Nice Playing,

The mix definitely needs some work, the solo didn't stand out at all..but still nice work! :)

cool thanks man! yeah it has just been roughly mixed so far but I agree for sure, do you have any pointers? hearing anything specific that could use boosting/cutting? more/less fx/etc?

Nicely edited video too. Looks like Canon T2i footage?

Good stuff, although the dissonant high notes didn't work for my sensibilities.

But style is in the eyes/ears of the beholder.

Last edited:
@Funeral

I suppose, unless it isn't needed for what you are writing, but I see what you are trying to say. haha it's funny because he did actually realize that, the first thing he said was "haha, I don't think I used my pinky once in that solo...". though I corrected him and told him yes, he did, once, during the octaves. SO YOU'RE BOTH WRONG! hahaha.

@NY Guitarist

Thanks man! Actually it is a Panasonic GH2 with a 20mm 1.7f lens.

Dissonance is a very personal thing, and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I personally think it suits the section but everyone will react differently. To be completely honest, when he first showed me his plans for the solo in this section I was a tad skeptical, but it has REALLY grown on me. Listening to his phrasing in combination to the chord progression and the rhythm in general just really works for me, so I am pretty happy with it. It was also a shock to hear what he had created because he is a VERY talented player all around but he wrote something very different than his usual style of playing - he plays more blues/fusiony type stuff. I am happy with it, hopefully it grows on you guys, if not thats cool too! Different strokes for different folks!

Any comments on mix/eq/etc. though? Really looking for some specific pointers - you guys always have helped me well in the past!

Thanks for the feedback thus far and thanks for listening!

-grant

Last edited:
Dissonance is a very personal thing
True
thumbsup.gif

I was a tad skeptical, but it has REALLY grown on me
Umm, your first impression may have been the right one...
unsure.gif

Different strokes for different folks!
Trouble is, 99% of such folk rarely 'bear with it'

Whether that's right, wrong or indifferent is a whole other issue... but it is very much 'the case'

@Cover'd

1. Yep! Glad we can agree on that.

2. Well that's just like, your, opinion...man! Haha no like I said, it really has grown on me. But I guess it isn't for everyone.

3. That is sort of besides the point, is it not? What I am saying is you will either dig it or you won't, it is pretty simple, no need to over-think it. I am not asking people to "bear with" anything. Really, I am just looking for more mix/tone critique with some pointers. Expanding on what I said earlier, the comments on the actual playing/writing of the solo are very much appreciated and I always like to hear peoples opinions whether they are positive or negative. But I do personally like it so the solo itself isn't going to change haha.

Last edited:
Oh aye Grant, no beef with anything there fella... was merely offering some additional thoughts to those of you own
thumbsup.gif

From a mix perspective, like others, I feel the solo is a little too hidden... but not much

Hey no worries dude! Not trying to come off defensive or anything just voicing some thoughts as well.

Again thanks for the listen!

Cool sounds good I will tweak it and see what I can do. I am really trying to keep it blended in well to compliment the rest of the tracks but I hear how it isn't quite cutting enough. Thanks for the tips everyone, keep em coming!

Last edited:
I guess I like the solo beacuse it's a bit strange in that context - I think. Hm.. how would I know I don't normally listen to rock. But it pushes the music to something else.

I don't know how but maybe you could make the mix overall clearer but not cleaner?

thanks man, I know I am biased, but I agree! haha.

good call it is definitely a bit cloudy/muddy. not the easiest when we (me and my drummer) have very little experience mixing really downtuned guitars haha. but I will take that into consideration.

Last edited:
On the whole pinky thing..... I use my pinky alot.... and what I thought was interesting was his use of notes and dissonances that worked, it is more complex than it seems.. more motivic really as the dissonances pinpoint different intervals. I thought it was cool precisely because it wasn't shred.... And I love shred... But it was more conceptual which is rarer these days..... To truly get it as it is conceptual we would have to hear the whole cut, to know what it was leaving behind and what it was building toward..

Last edited:
The point about context is a good one. The solo lacks context without hearing what comes before and after, so the flurry of passing tones and harmonic dissonance might be exactly what the composer and/or soloist wants, but I guess I sidetracked the thread and your question about the mix, guitar tone, etc. Sorry about that.

I've only had a chance to listen to it on my Macbook Pro speakers so I'm not much help as far as mix. I do think perhaps it can be a touch more up front in the mix, maybe a bit of EQ to help bring it out, but the tone seems suitable. But again, all just another opinion, and who is to say what the mix should sound like?

@Audiounity

Nice man good to see the intent get across. The guitarist playing can literally play anything he wants and knows classical/jazz theory in and out so he was definitely doing something more strategic/conceptual - what it was, I have no idea, because I don't know much advanced theory. Good point regarding the need for a longer cut - as soon as the mix is polished up a bit I will re-post a longer section!

@NY Guitarist

Agreed, I see how that is an issue now I will try to post something longer in the near future. And cool thanks for the comments I will definitely be tweaking the mix a bit I can hear what you guys have mentioned - thanks for the tips and lending your ears!

Back
Top Bottom