Video : How to connect the FM3 (for Dummies)

Anand Mahangoe

Power User
Hi all !
I have just uploaded a basic video about how to connect the FM3 with different devices , setup….. very basic for dummies and fun for me to do ;)

The first video is in general ....the second one is by request , a detailed video about connecting FM3 S/Pdif -> RME Fireface 800 -> Logic X Pro

Hope you dig it & please subscribe 🙏🏼

Last edited:
Unity gain is something else : this is how M@ explained it :

Post in thread 'Leveling out 2 with unity gain'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/leveling-out-2-with-unity-gain.174220/post-2112249

Check the inputs on your studio monitors : should have XLR or balanced jacks ( stereo jack cable ) if it has XLR, just use that with the XLR out in your FM3…… What speakers are you using ?
I have a pair of ROCKIT KRK 5s. Right now I'm configured as follows:

FM3 Output 2 (copied output 1) into ART Mini Mixer, from the mixer I go to each of the KRKs

I noticed it was sounding a bit harsh until I switched to line out. I'm assuming this is correct since it sounds way better

I have a pair of ROCKIT KRK 5s. Right now I'm configured as follows:

FM3 Output 2 (copied output 1) into ART Mini Mixer, from the mixer I go to each of the KRKs

I noticed it was sounding a bit harsh until I switched to line out. I'm assuming this is correct since it sounds way better
Rockets do tend too sound a bit harsh but you can get great sound with then once you get to know them . Line level is perfect in your case……. BUT same question here : why a mini mixer ? Unless it is a very good quality sounding mixer AND you mix the FM3 sound with something , else it is unnecessary ;)

in case of the Art mini mixer : I think better to get rid of it because it looks like quite cheap components …. You will loose more than gain if you don’t mix the FM3 with anything else……

to play along with backing tracks from your laptop and stuff : just connect the FM3 Straight with USB to your laptop and set the FM3 as your Audio Device and your BT will be perfect audible through the FM3 directly connected to the R5

Can you elaborate more on the Spdif connections and step by step with Converters and cables, with Logic play/back through monitors from Interface? Thanks

Rockets do tend too sound a bit harsh but you can get great sound with then once you get to know them . Line level is perfect in your case……. BUT same question here : why a mini mixer ? Unless it is a very good quality sounding mixer AND you mix the FM3 sound with something , else it is unnecessary ;)

in case of the Art mini mixer : I think better to get rid of it because it looks like quite cheap components …. You will loose more than gain if you don’t mix the FM3 with anything else……

to play along with backing tracks from your laptop and stuff : just connect the FM3 Straight with USB to your laptop and set the FM3 as your Audio Device and your BT will be perfect audible through the FM3 directly connected to the R5
My intent is to get something better to amplify the FM3 - the mini mixer is some legacy equipment I used to allow multiple devices to connect to the ROCKIT speakers. I can ditch the mini mixer now and just use the output 1 XLRs for now.

It honestly does sound significantly better at line level.

My intent is to get something better to amplify the FM3 - the mini mixer is some legacy equipment I used to allow multiple devices to connect to the ROCKIT speakers. I can ditch the mini mixer now and just use the output 1 XLRs for now.

It honestly does sound significantly better at line level.
That’s a good step….. and now compare the sound without the mini mixer…. Should give you a more natural sound I think 😀

Thanks for fast response, I'm using UA Apollo and in my Preferences I should choose Apollo for both Input and Output and find what channel my spdif is and set that number in my stereo strip?
Exactly !
  • Audio device : input / out out Apollo
  • set channel strip in your DAW to the S/Pdif and ready …..

Back
Top Bottom