VIDEO: Capture a cab block to a (stereo) IR

Smittefar

Axe-Master
Since we got Dynacabs, it has become more and more desirable to be able to save a cab block mix to an IR, potentially a stereo IR. So far, Fractal has not given us this option. The message has been to 'just tone match it'.

Tone matching is cool, and it will most likely get you close, but I find it to be a hit or miss thing, and I cannot explain, why I sometimes get 'good' tonematches and sometimes they are just off.

In this video, I capture two of @2112 's IRs (I asked permission). First, I do it by tone matching and demonstrate some of the problems with this approach. Then I show a much better process using Voxengo Deconvolver (free for this purpose) and a DAW (any DAW will do). This process can even capture a stereo cab block into a Stereo IR that AxeEdit automatically splits to two IRs (one for left and one for right). The demonstration of this method starts around 6mins30 seconds. The latter method basically captures an IR of the IR (capturing an IR is different from doing a tonematch).

I use MLS Tool. Using the usb audio functionality you can capture an IR of any cab setup in the cab block, just make sure the preamp section is turned off in the cab block, as well as the “room” parameter, and I also turn off any EQ so I have the “full” sound of whatever cab setup I’m capturing. MLS Tool also has a function where it will automatically shorten the wav so once you have everything set up right it’s literally one click to capture an IR that’s ready to be used.

https://wavearts.com/products/plugins/mlstool

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom