That Cab block. I need help.

JTI

Power User
My view on IRs: I hate the hunt. Ugh. The following may sound like a pipe dream/load of horse poop.

Are there IRs using a "Flat" mic equivalent in Fractal land?

Hunt is easy for me, I know what I like and what it should sound like, and don't obsess over the last 1% of detail. Not saying this is you, but most often I see people struggling with IR's because instead of knowing what they want, just cycle through random IR's and their ear/brain is constantly confused/overwhelmed by the search.

We did some with an Earthworks TC30 at some point and they didn't sound good. IMHO nothing beats a KSM313 for "neutral" close mic'd IRs.
I'll check out the 313's. Thanks for the tip Cliff!
Hunt is easy for me, I know what I like and what it should sound like, and don't obsess over the last 1% of detail. Not saying this is you, but most often I see people struggling with IR's because instead of knowing what they want, just cycle through random IR's and their ear/brain is constantly confused/overwhelmed by the search.
If cheap/frugal gear bugs you; consider yourself warned ahead of time.

Good points for sure. For me; what I want is something that, for lack of a better description; gets out of the way. I dig t75s in real life, greenbacks, v30s. Nothing too exotic. 2x12s and 4x12s in general. With other amp modeling gear I've been using; I have like 3 cabs I use and that's it. In the Boss SY; I use the Original cab. Which is a 412 of some sort. It has a flat mic option which is supposed to "avoid coloration". Whether it actually does or not is another story :D

I have been using a Mustang GT100 as a stage monitor. This is the (especially) cheap part I mentioned a few sentences back. There is a 412 greenback sim on there that is excellent as well as an Uber 412 sim that kills. I realize neither of these pieces are in the same level as Fractal gear; but I like what I like. I will say the Euro Uber preset with cab off into the UberCab sim on the Mustang sounds ridiculous. If I could shoot an IR of an IR; I wouldn't be having this discussion :flushed::)

I'll check out the 313's. Thanks for the tip Cliff!

If cheap/frugal gear bugs you; consider yourself warned ahead of time.

Good points for sure. For me; what I want is something that, for lack of a better description; gets out of the way. I dig t75s in real life, greenbacks, v30s. Nothing too exotic. 2x12s and 4x12s in general. With other amp modeling gear I've been using; I have like 3 cabs I use and that's it. In the Boss SY; I use the Original cab. Which is a 412 of some sort. It has a flat mic option which is supposed to "avoid coloration". Whether it actually does or not is another story :D

I have been using a Mustang GT100 as a stage monitor. This is the (especially) cheap part I mentioned a few sentences back. There is a 412 greenback sim on there that is excellent as well as an Uber 412 sim that kills. I realize neither of these pieces are in the same level as Fractal gear; but I like what I like. I will say the Euro Uber preset with cab off into the UberCab sim on the Mustang sounds ridiculous. If I could shoot an IR of an IR; I wouldn't be having this discussion :flushed::)
You can shoot an IR of an IR. It's actually easier than shooting an IR of a speaker.

You can shoot an IR of an IR. It's actually easier than shooting an IR of a speaker.

I'm assuming because you can just loop in whatever device you want to capture rather than setting up a mic+amp, right? (I've never shot an IR before but I want to get into it)

So after a bunch of trial and error (and without needing to borrow the Axe II from our jam spot); I captured my IRs. They actually work quite nicely and level the playing field a bit for me so I can focus on everything else. Super stoked!

You can shoot an IR using his Axe II. That would be preferable over a Tone Match.

And indeed, it works well, and is rather easy to do.

I'm using an Axe-Fx III to capture a stock cab from the FM3:
  • Connect Axe-Fx III / OUT2 LEFT to FM3 / IN2 LEFT
  • Connect FM3 / OUT2 LEFT to Axe-Fx III / IN2 LEFT
  • Turn up the OUT2 knobs on the Axe-Fx III and FM3 hardware
  • Build a preset on the FM3 consisting of [IN2] - [CAB] - [OUT2]. Select the desired stock cab. Disable additional processing in the Cab block including Low/High Cut
  • Select MinPhase etc.
  • Enter a name for the IR that will be created (press Enter after entering the name)
  • Capture...
Notes:
  • You can do this on the hardware only, but if you want an .IR file too for mixing, you need to use the IR Capture tool in Axe-Edit.
  • On the FM3 you can use OUT1 instead of OUT2 if desired.
  • If you're running Axe-Edit and have captured the IR to an user slot, its name will appear only after the cab slots have been refreshed.
The method above has provided me with .SYX and .IR files of the famous Basketweave TV Mix stock cab (Legacy #103), as well as #102 (AX Mix), #105 (EV-12L) and #106 (EV-12S). The captured IRs sounds exactly the same as the stock cabs. I can now mix these into a single IR with Cab-Lab.

P.S. I'm not sharing the captured IRs of the stock cabs, because I'm not sure if this is permitted.

Last edited:

• Build a preset on the FM3 consisting of [IN2] - [CAB] - [OUT2]. Select the desired stock cab. Disable additional processing in the Cab block including Low/High Cut
  • Select MinPhase etc.
  • Enter a name for the IR that will be created (press Enter after entering the name)
  • Capture...
Notes:
  • You can do this on the hardware only, but if you want an .IR file too for mixing, you need to use the IR Capture tool in Axe-Edit.
  • If you're running Axe-Edit and have captured the IR to an user slot, its name will appear only after the cab slots have been refreshed.
The method above has finally provided me with .SYX and .IR files of the famous Basketweave TV Mix stock cab (Legacy #103), as well as #102 (AX Mix). The captured IRs sounds exactly the same as the stock cabs. I can now mix these into a single IR with Cab-Lab.

P.S. I'm not sharing the captured IRs of the stock cabs, because I'm not sure if this is permitted.
That is some engineering wizardy right there. The setup I used was about as broke guitarist as you can get. But I am super happy with the results. I am sure I will go back to the cab block at some point and look at what else is out there; but just finding something to work with that I am familiar with is enough to get me going on to the next step.

• Select MinPhase etc.
  • Capture...
Notes:
The method above has finally provided me with .SYX and .IR files of the famous Basketweave TV Mix stock cab (Legacy #103), as well as #102 (AX Mix). The captured IRs sounds exactly the same as the stock cabs. I can now mix these into a single IR with Cab-Lab.

103, man. That one always worked for me. 103.

• Select MinPhase etc.
  • Capture...
Notes:

curious, aren't those cabs available on the Axe FX III? Was the goal just to "mix" those down to a single IR?

This probably doesn't help much, but I have found that using one or two IR's for everything has kept my IR hunt well under check.

I am using a combo of the Legacy # 60 and either Legacy # 176 or Factory 2 # 769. That's a 4x12 Greenback with a ribbon and a 4x12 Greenback with a 57 dynamic. If you know me, you know I have probably $1,000 in IR's. I just plain don't use them. I like some of them a lot, but those two factory ones do the job really well for me, for just about anything. They have nice depth (cut lows if you like), smooth mids, and no funky high end (not too harsh or dull).

I made a "Four Food Groups" (Fender, Vox, Marshall, High Gain) preset last night that I plan to upload to the cloud when I'm done. I deviated from my usual plan to use factory IR's that match the amps. But I wasn't digging it, so I went back to the old faithful combo, adjusted the amp EQ a touch, and it's much better to me.

My fav go to when all else fails speaker is the EVM12L & S. In the Legacy bank #8 or a 1X12 and #105-6 for 4X12's. Are there any 2X12 cabs that use these?

Back
Top Bottom