Video Axe FX vs BIAS FX tone test

juanpmoran

Inspired

So lately im really into this plug-in and i decided to do this comparison.

There´s a big flaw in the signal, the BIAS signal is processed via the IRIG HD, that´s something to keep in mind while listening to the video.

Any BIAS FX DESKTOP users on the forum? What are your thoughts, is it worthy?

Im thinking about buying the desktop version an RME interface and reamp with the axe FX if it´s necessary.

THX

Yesterday I brought my axe over to a friend's place (he uses bias). A basic amp and cab block was all it took to sway him if that's any indication haha

i hear different tones. does one have to be better than the other?

Agreed. I mean, a comparison of "Here's a high-gain tone on one and here's one other high-gain tone on the other unit" doesn't really indicate anything to me. They are each capable of a wide, wide variety of tones. They have completely different use cases. Buy for your personal use case.

Im thinking about buying the desktop version an RME interface and reamp with the axe FX if it´s necessary.

IMHO, if you can't get the tone you're after with the AxeFx, perhaps spend more time learning the parameters rather than throwing cash out on another plugin... I can't imagine that the AxeFx won't get you what you're after.

I have yet to return to any of my many plugin sims since getting my XL.

Bias fx works in a pinch or practice IMHO. It has a grainy sound I couldn't get out of it. I hear it in that demo above.

I own Bias Desktop Pro and FX and the AF2. Bias is almost unusable for me after using an AxeFX for so long. When dialed in, it sounds "decent" and FEELS "bad". YMMV. Plugins are great for what they are and are loads of fun but the AFX has turned me into a digital cork sniffer, I 'spose. :D ... I can hardly tolerate anything that just doesn't sound or feel absolutely authentic; barely tolerable no longer cuts it for me with digital tools like it used to.

It's a matter of how much time you want to spend. I can make most modeling plugins work with some post processing, assuming I screw with them enough. The Axe II typically sounds good right out of the box.

Finally i tried the BIAS with top quality converters (not the irg HD crap) and predictably the winner is the Axe Fx BUT i find the plug-in suitable to have a reference to record and reamp later with the axe fx.

So to lazy bastards like me that hate carrying gear to the studio or wherever is a perfect match, but not to achieve the final product obviously.

Messed around with Bias for a while. Hated the feel and couldn't get a real tone out of it at all. It was fine for just noodling around a bit and having fun but at the end of the day it sounded about as good as any practice amp.

The thing that's really inspiring though is that even if BIAS and similar software is not really up to scratch at the moment, it's not really that far off either (think early line 6). And this is in something that small as an iPhone. Imagine in another 5 years or so with continuous improvement of both hardware and software it wouldn't surprise me if it will sound as good as the Axe Fx does today. If then another couple of generations of Bluetooth will improve transfer speeds and latency we can likely run wireless Bluetooth from the guitar to the iPhone and then onto whatever amplification. Maybe not for live usage but a hell of a simple practice and jam tool.

The thing that's really inspiring though is that even if BIAS and similar software is not really up to scratch at the moment, it's not really that far off either (think early line 6). And this is in something that small as an iPhone. Imagine in another 5 years or so with continuous improvement of both hardware and software it wouldn't surprise me if it will sound as good as the Axe Fx does today. If then another couple of generations of Bluetooth will improve transfer speeds and latency we can likely run wireless Bluetooth from the guitar to the iPhone and then onto whatever amplification. Maybe not for live usage but a hell of a simple practice and jam tool.

In another 5 years, not only the non fractal products will improve, only god knows what Cliff is plotting at this moment.

There´s a big flaw in the signal, the BIAS signal is processed via the IRIG HD, that´s something to keep in mind while listening to the video.

THX

To my ears, from that video the BIAS has a jar of bees sound that I don't like. The AxeFx take sounds more like what I would expect a recorded amp to sound like.

Even the clean tones...the BIAS take is bright and harsh on the top end. The AxeFx take was just more pleasing to the ear in the top end. Maybe it's how they had them set up...I can only go by what I'm hearing in the video. YMMV.

Last edited:

THX

Nice playing and video! It clearly shows the vast difference between the two.

Back
Top Bottom