Vid: making a quick high gain patch from scratch

thinkpad20

Inspired
I was a bit rushed, so I didn't go into a lot of the details that I wanted, but seeing as I get asked a lot of questions about how I work the unit, I figured I'd put it all up in a youtube vid. Maybe some people on this board will find it interesting or useful, especially those of a metal-inclined nature. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXgr6CFkdFI

damn cant wait for the vid with the more advanced tweeks... i have most of the basic stuff covered....

Awesome, thank you! It still sounds really boomy to me. How would you go about solving that?

Thanks guys!

As for the the "final patch", there are several things I would do if I were to tweak that patch more, which I definitely would if I were to use it as a real recording patch - it's just a video demo and I had to squeeze everything into a time limit. As you mention it is pretty boomy, and a bit harsh to my ears. I would probably start by taking down the bass before the amp by adjusting the boost pedal, especially the bass EQ and the lo-cut. Also I might increase the slew rate on the boost. I would probably take down the gain more on the amp, because it is quite gainy. I would employ another and/or different cabs. I would increase the thump and take down the warmth on the amp. I might adjust the bias a bit or the master volume. I might employ a GEQ or PEQ in between the amp and the cab(s). As you can see there are many things I could do... but I didn't have much time nor did I have a plan when I made this, no previously decided-on end result except for something high-gain that I could live with. :)

Thanks for watching!

I have tried messing with the slew rate on drive blocks but I never really understood what it was doing?

Great video! Thank you. This is a perfect help for players who have never played metal -and don't know how to dial in any metal-sound- but would like to .

The Axe-FX Ultra screen on the video is not easy to be seen. And because of my poor english, I can't fully understand what is said.
Is it possible to have a written version of the explanations here on the forum ???

Very cool. I'm picking up an Axe(Ultra, I think) in a week or 2. This will help me starting out a patch from scratch.

Thanks for watching guys.

SML59 said:
The Axe-FX Ultra screen on the video is not easy to be seen. And because of my poor english, I can't fully understand what is said.
Is it possible to have a written version of the explanations here on the forum ???

I'm sorry the screen is hard to see; my camera is pretty low quality. You can try running it in higher resolution and see if that helps. But as for what I do in the vid, I'm pretty sure this is what I did:

4x12 V30 cab
Das Metall amp
Presence and Treble to ~3:00, 3:30
Depth down all the way
Damping (almost) all the way up
Master Volume around ~1:30
TS808 Drive pedal
Tone control to ~3:00
Level all the way up
Gain to ~9:00
Decrease gain on Das Metall to compensate (around 11:00 I think)
Added R121 condenser mic to Framus 4x12
Adjust volume to make sure there's no clipping

I think that about covers what I did in the vid. And like I said if I were to keep on going down that path I would do a lot more.

Hey Thinkpad, great vid man. How you digging Japan? Excellent place. I studied in Okazaki (near Nagoya).

BTW, I'm planning of using a similar setup for recording, i.e. M-Audio Fastrack Pro into Reaper. Any recommendations with your setup?

Cheers

BTW, I'm sure you've already checked out all the guitar shops in Tokyo... :)

decipher said:
@thinkpad- Any possibilities of another vid?? with the advanced tips and tweaks ;)

+1

it would be interesting to compare what someone else does to what I've been doing

Back
Top Bottom