VHT/Fryette

I found the opposite. That once I'd switched from the VHT to the Matrix GT1000FX, I had to grasp that the guts of the tone is produced by the Axe-Fx power amp sims. I quickly set about dialling in that tone that I used to rely on the VHT for. Now its all in the Axe-Fx. The Matrix seems to be the transparent conduit to my cab, so it doesn't add or take away tone. The thing it does add is that spongey response. I don't miss the VHT in any shape or form. It was a very nice well built amp, but it was big and heavy, it hurt my back to carry it, and it still makes me smile knowing that I just don't need it in my rig.

I had Fryette 2902, brand new...After a while I got my GT800FX, also brand new. In fact I prefered 2902, but it was so heavy and expensive that I finally decided to say goodbye and stick to GT800FX since there was just a slight difference in well designed and set patches in AXE FX between 2902 and gt800fx. These days I go straight to FOH and sometimes I use Matrix to feed my cabs if it's necessary (in applications where FOH is a joke). I had tones of experiences with both 2902 and GT800FX. I still believe that 2902 is the greatest power amp ever built. On the other hand there is no better non-tube poweramp than GT800FX. It's light and it's easy to the bone in using. All you need to do is slightly change your patches. I like both those amps and I think that having enough time to crank the amp and patches is a way to go along with any unit whatsoever. Matrix is a well choice for lightweight and rather cheaper unit. 2902 is much more expensive and heavyweight champion. That's all I believe. On the other hand there has been a lot of topics here and there regarding this issue/choice. Do some research and you may find answer for yourself.

Well, Now I might make the switch. I've finally reached the level where I am much better programming presets. I love my 2902 but I like the Idea of having a lightweight three channel amp all in 1u space. The Matrix may win this one. I'll give it a try if I doesn't meld with my tastes then back to 2902. Having no tube in my signal chain will be a first for me since my college days and earlier when SS was all I could afford.

and now I'm leaning the other way
I've had the Matrix GT1000Fx for a while now (using this to drive a regular 2X12 with V30's) and I just picked up a Fryette 2/50/2 and immediately
felt more sponge and girth to my patches thru an FRFR speaker, not much difference (I was just playing with a pair of Xitones going back and forth with the 2 power amps)
I'm not gigging so weight is a total non issue for me.
Need to spend some more time with these 2 but at the moment I am really loving the Fryette

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom